Cloning the male plant?

fairplay, thats a sensible way of going about seed production. I didnt know what you had at your disposal, maybe a dedicated female.
Ill keep up with this thread, look forward to seeing what you end up with.
All the best
GA :thumb:

hey Higher is ur male plant's stem hollow or solid??

I dunno. I reckon it's slightly hollow at the base. I've noticed, at least on my plants, many of the cuttings were slightly hollowed - even the really young, less fibrous green ones.

yea ok, cuzz you know how i had to nodes on my guy? well i cut one so i can controll his pollen from getting to any of the ladies and well i noticed the branches that connect to the main stem are pretty close to hollow.....and his odor is picking up...

hmmm.

Talkin about odor....

I haven't noticed any changes in Dude's odor.

Heck, even both of the Queen's (plants) buds outside aren't that odorous. Most of the odor is coming from the leaves.

Hard to say.

I've got that Concord Grape vine, right next to one of the Queens, puttin out a very strong fragrance of ripening grapes that mixes with the Cannabis scent.

Okay.

I've been re-learning some plant biology, more specifically, flower anatomy.

When we see the "nut", or bud, we're actually seeing the early stages of the sepals. As they mature the bud splits into individual sepal thus exposing the Stamen, which is comprised of the Anther (where the pollen is produced) and the Filament (that which the Anther is attached to). In respect to the male Cannabis plant when the bud starts to split open what we are seeing first are the Anthers.

So, I reckon what this is leading up to is: I've got at least two buds that are beginning to split open (forming the sepals) exposing the separate Anthers. Probably still too early for pollen production...

yupp, that plant looks unhealthy, here i found one too..this is what they look like just after dropping pollen out

03072035.jpg

Nice pic laladaddy. :thumb:

Up at the very top you've got the Sepals fanning out; then the short Filaments followed by the huge Anthers.

no Problem higherD, im glad you like that pic and it helped you to understand more...keep me updated on when he drops his pollen......my dudes balls are stemming off now to......

I woke up a while ago and found that Dude had dropped better than half of his nuts. I figured he was on his way off of planet Earth (lucky bastard) and on to the Great Cannabis Castle located somewhere in the voids of outer space.

I gave him a moment of silence, and, an honorable burial and mention out in the compost pit.

DudesBurial.jpg

Farewell, Dude, my fine foliaged friend.

May you forgive me of my ignorance of being able to keep you alive long enough for you to pass on your universal wisdom to the next generation.

No...I wouldn't say that about myself. Risky, perhaps, but not dangerous. If the Cannabis plant is as adaptable as I think it is...I mean we're talkin 'bout a plant that's probably been around since the time of the Dinosaurs, it will survive. Whether or not the severe pruning that I did will still make it capable of producing pollen is another story altogether.

Nah...I have not cut the top piece. So, in other words, it's still in the ground :laughtwo: I mean it looks like a tall skinny stick coming out of the ground. Yes - the plant has been stripped of all but a few of it's branches, the last bottom branch is within...I'd say 10 inches from the top of the main cola.

I have only thought about chopping it completely. If I actually do that I'm assuming that I will have to wait till the pollen sacs are near ripe enough to split open and start dropping pollen. As you can see in the pollen sac pics they look like they've got a while to go before they're matured enough. With the amount of pruning I've just done, it may take them a while longer IDK.

I have seen pictures of someone doing just that. They've got the chopped male (oh, maybe only a foot and a half tall) in a tall glass of water, IDK if they added any nutes to it or not, sitting on a piece of foil, indoors, near a window, and you can see the pollen particles that have dropped onto the foil.

:laughtwo: Yeah...you and me both. I reckon there might be lots of other people interested if this works out or not.
Use an air pump and air stone to keep water oxygenated.

Okay...here's what I've got right now - a stripped down male with newly formed pollen sacs:

LonelyMale.jpg

Here are some new pics just taken a moment ago of the pollen sacs:

PollenSacs_5.jpg
PollenSacs_4.jpg
PollenSacs_3.jpg

I would like to chop it (probably no more than 18 inches from the top of the main cola), then stick it in a bucket with water and plant food.

The bucket's gonna have some foil over the top plus the bucket itself (with the plant in it) will be placed on a sheet of foil. I was thinking about keeping it indoors near a window with a decent amount of sunlight coming through it. Also thinking about putting in the front yard (out of view)

Questions:

Will this work?:hmmmm:

Will the plant continue developing the pollen sacs sitting in a bucket of water (w/plant food) and, more than likely, reduced sunlight (I have no grow-lights)?:hmmmm:

I'm probably wrong but it appears similar to "cloning".:scratchinghead:

Any input would be appreciated.

:thanks:
you have a long wait...

Use an air pump and air stone to keep water oxygenated.
you have a long wait for pollen, how far along are the females? those sacs will look like they are going to blow up and will when ready. when i think they are ready i just touch them with my finger. if they blow up you can shield your hand from the wind and touch a female flower with your finger. no collection required. i have collected and frozen pollen for three years. i use a new 18" pizza box under the plant. whatever you do, if anything, you will see the pollen accumulate on the box. scrape it together and place on foil, fold that up and freeze inside a ziplock bag. for years i would dig up a male, put it in a bucket and bring into my house to finish. since then i have developed a very bad back and cannot lift anything, so this year i took clones because i bought pricy high end seeds and want to breed them. i should never have to buy seeds again. good luck. jellero

(new member?? i have been on this board for years. i just changed my password today)

you have a long wait for pollen, how far along are the females? those sacs will look like they are going to blow up and will when ready. when i think they are ready i just touch them with my finger. if they blow up you can shield your hand from the wind and touch a female flower with your finger. no collection required. i have collected and frozen pollen for three years. i use a new 18" pizza box under the plant. whatever you do, if anything, you will see the pollen accumulate on the box. scrape it together and place on foil, fold that up and freeze inside a ziplock bag. for years i would dig up a male, put it in a bucket and bring into my house to finish. since then i have developed a very bad back and cannot lift anything, so this year i took clones because i bought pricy high end seeds and want to breed them. i should never have to buy seeds again. good luck. jellero

(new member?? i have been on this board for years. i just changed my password today)
This is a very very old post, I am pretty sure that pollen is long ago history.
As for the 'new member' tag, that probably has more to do with how many posts you have made than how long you have been here.

Back
Top Bottom