Cloning With Potatoes Anyone?

kiwibloke

Came across an article in the local newspapers gardening section about sticking your Valentines Day roses into a cut potatoe so that they could take root and become plants. Well that got me to thinking. ( keep ya comments to yaselves out there ok !! ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°) ) I'm assuming that a rose is a semi hardwood / hardwood so is slightly different to a cannabis plant but I wounder if that would work ????

I'm off to the super market to get a couple of spuds now - see if I can get it to work. I'll post results as to any success I may have . . . . or not as the case may be.

More, more - - tell us MORE.

Do you mean that the article says to cut a clone and stick it in a potato?!?!??? Cut the spuds into cubes and use them instead of rockwool?

Is THAT what you mean?

How to Propagate Roses Using Potatoes | Home Guides | SF Gate

~ Auggie ~

That's the plan Auggie The article was about "don't throw out the roses you got on valentines day but to stick them in a spud and start off a new rose plant from that cutting". So I wondered if that will work with our pet plants. With the roses it's just bung em in the spud and leave them . . . .obviously things will be different with our cuttings - humidity dome and maybe a heat pad but I'm going to try with pads/dome and without.

I'm going to get it going this weekend and will get back as soon as there's anything to report

This could give "Hash Browns" a whole new meaning..

"hash browns . . .ha ha ha very gooood !! . . . . no flys on you is there son

Did it work

This got drug from the depths, eh?

Yes, it works, but I wouldn't recommend it. A potato is a rooting hormone warehouse. You could cut it up into as many chucks as there are 'eyes' and every one would produce.

To utilize it, for this purpose, stab it in an eye with the desired diameter implement of your choosing and insert stem. Hormones are concentrated near eyes because that's where potato roots sprout from. Now, the size of the chunk determines the reserve of moisture. IOW will the moisture last until the roots break through.

Having said that, have you ever smelled a rotting potato? It's not pleasant. You have to keep it close to the surface when you plant the plant so if the chunk is large it can cause other issues besides smell. Ever pour concrete around a wooden post? Ever see trees get blown over when rain liquifies soil around roots?

End product is you have a stinking, rotting puddle of misery where the rubber hits the road instead of something more solid. Now consider what it's going to attract as far as vermin. If you're outdoors, Rocky Racoon will have some greens with his slop if he stumbles your way. You'll wake to a hole with nothing in it.

I'll stop there, reasons enough to stick with peat tabs, here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom