Cutting a clone that has pistils on it?

My mother plant is pretty late into flowering, and I'm in the process of pruning/cutting the lower portions of the plant. I have tried to make clones using big fan leaves, or mid-sized fan leaves, and they kept dying. So I have been taking some lower cuttings that have semi-woody stems ( about 2-6 inches in all ), and there is a center region where pistils were forming and there was going to be a little popcorn nug. Do these ones work out OK for cloning?

Thanks, yes , i tried to clone those fan leaves before I read that article ( lol ), but nothing in that thread related to my question about cloning the lower 2-6 inch branch that contains some pistils on it. ( Like trying to clone the lower small branches that would have been popcorn buds )

:420:

I have heard of it being done. It's just not the optimal time to take a cutting, so your success rate will be lower. I would give it a try and see what happens. Maybe someone one here that has tried it will chime in.
Good Luck!
:goodluck:

Relaxed,
I actually just posted on another thread about the same thing. I was pruning the lower growth on a flowering plant and decided to try and clone the clippings just for the sake of practice. One of the clippings did indeed have pistils showing at its top (only like 2 little white hairs, not exploding with them or anything) and I was able to successfully root it. All of the clones I have done so far have been from a flowering plant and my success rate is like 60%. Granted this is also my first go round so with more experience I'm sure that will go up. Like the General mentioned though, I have heard this is not the best time to clone so it will usually take longer than from a plant that is still in veg.

Long story short....yes, you can do this. Good luck

The lower branches can be cloned while the plant is in flower, however, I wouldn't recommended if you're in any kind of hurry. I took 6 clones while cleaning up the bottom of my plant in flower stage. Those clones lived, but they were 2 inches tall for 3 months, I killed em all but one and it never got past a foot tall in 3 more months. It was 1 solid bud of great smoke.....maybe a half ounce of bud.

yeah, same thing here, it was pretty neat
photo_10_26.JPG
photo_11_19.JPG
photo_9_32.JPG
photo_13_14.JPG
photo_9_34.JPG
photo_10_28.JPG
photo_12_20.JPG

my 4 inch clones

I've got 2 moms doing exactly this method..first one i cut a branch first site of pistals because i liked the node spacing and structure i got it to root lifted dome let it grow three nodes higher cropped and tossed da top with da pistal on it..bout ten days later its seeing that two new shoots are showing its reverted to veg.so i cut both rooted n vegged 10 days one another mother the other went in my sog ..second mother u have was taken off a plant 4 weeks into flower.the cutting was more developed it had a mini nug already reason i took it is because this plant had frankenstien bud set with massive fanleaves i thought it was worth a try to save this pheno..now this one took well over a month to revert to veg and grow upward enough for me to cut top off so it can grow the double shoots for me to work with now..

I recently took clones from plants 3 weeks into flowering and they rooted fine. Forgot to bring the cloning hormones and used honey. They rooted faster than any other clones I ever took. And given up for adoption 18 days after cutting.

I recently took clones from plants 3 weeks into flowering and they rooted fine. Forgot to bring the cloning hormones and used honey. They rooted faster than any other clones I ever took. And given up for adoption 18 days after cutting.

Hey Hash Hound what kind of honey did u use ?

Ive taken clones late into flowering aswell it takes forever ..... sometimes its not worth it , and other times when u dont have a mother i would as well....lol

Hey Hash Hound what kind of honey did u use ?

Sorry Knuckles but I don't know for sure. It was over my friends and all I know is it probably wasn't generic or store brand.

Next visit I'll check and let you know.

Someone once told me that when they were topping plants in a large grow they would smash the portion removed into the ground with their foot and a surprising amount of them would grow. I think it's funny that we even call clones....clones, I never heard that term in college horticulture and they were always referred to as rooted cuttings, even on paperwork from suppliers. I wonder if anyone has ever done any layering? I'll give it a try in a coupla weeks......later

Back
Top Bottom