Closet Experiment - Questions on Lighting & Temps

Garrya Peonie

So I currently have a small walk in style closet to use. I did some work to it and made a temporary makeshift box, the dimensions are 50"W x 18"D x 56"H (Hight is really the ceiling, however I dont plan on tall plants.

Right now I am running a Hydrafarm 4' 4 Bulb T5 and just getting some seeds started, mostly bag seeds, but do have 3 Bruce Banner 3 seeds in there too.

I have the space, and I am planning a second box, I could go the same size and run a second T5, however I would "like to" use the second space for flowering. Maybe use a 250W HPS

For now temps are ok, closet stays around 77 - 80f without doing anything to get air in there, and I do have the ability to duct an ac vent if necessary, however the a/c is set to 76f so its not getting much cooler than that.

I know adding a second T5 would be fine, however I would prefer some dense buds and the benifate of flowering under HPS as opposed to Florescent.

I am wondering if it would be too hot to run a HPS in a small space like that.

Also are there better options than T5 for flowering that do not put off the heat of HPS?
I have seen LED, but do not know alot about them. And they are really pricey.

I do have easy access to supplies locally, and have the opportunity to take advantage of a great sale so I want to buy this weekend. I can get anything from a 150W to a 450W HPS setup, however I do not have the space to utilize the high watt bulbs.

this is my makeshift temp box, the second one will be similar. I am building the final this weekend with better/safer material (yeah thats cardboard in there now)
Boxes will have side intake & top outtake for ventilation with fans on each. Will also have an osolating fan inside the box moving air around.

11_2_.jpg

Thanks for the response, glad to know it is "do-able" which I figure with enough imagination and creativity was possible.
I think I may just have to wait n see what its like in the box with fans n vents and the T5, then decide what direction to go.

I am brand new to indoor growing, did allot of outdoor but live in the city now so this is just an experiment at this point. I know I can still grow decent plants under the flo's, just going to keep them short and flower early for my first run. I planted like 14 seeds, a bit overkill lol...

Hey Now, Welcome indoors 10ACJED. If you have good intake down low and exhaust up top it will go a long way to cool the box. Opening up 3 large vents floor level with one 6" exhaust fan up top dropped my temps 25-30 deg F with a 1000W HPS burning. And there are air cooled reflectors that do wonders too before you even have to think about tapping that A/C. Also the A/C will blow very cold/dry air until the room temp hits 76 so it may blow to cool into the box. Just my thoughts, while new to growing not new at all with HVAC. :peace:

PS dig the melting steal your face being an old time head myself...:peacetwo:

Hi 10! Welcome! I run a grow tent similar to your set up size, except mine is only 36" wide.

I use a 250 watt hps in an air cooled reflector, remote digital ballast outside of the tent. I use a 150 cfm fan to cool the light. The fan is outside of my tent, ducted in, then duct out to exhaust into another room. I use three, 4" computer fans, 70 cfm each to exhaust the tent itself. I simply cut holes in the top of the tent to mount them. Fresh air is drawn into the bottom of the tent via passive vents.
Finally two fans inside the tent to circulate air, not cool it.

With all that being said, the tent stays about 6*-7* warmer than my room temp. It runs from 79*-84* (I run my light from 8pm to 8am), that's with the temp sensor on the top of the plants. Not too bad. The reflectivity and the canvas really hold in the heat.
I'm not sure what your final building plans are. Plywood painted flat white for your cab would be best, the reason is two fold IMO. You get great reflectivity with white and I do believe it would absorb heat a bit better, the second being imploding from exhausting your tent. I had this problem with my tent, the sides sink in some really reducing interior space. I cut some 3/4" emt to make 'ribs' across the sides to prevent that.

Just wanted to give you an example. It is very doable and you'll get great results. I tried the 400 watter, not a chance. Once it hit 90* I shut it off lol.

On a side note...you can add Silica to your feedings to help the plants resist the heat better :thumb:

Wow, thanks everyone. Have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the responses so far. Joined another site and got the feeling it was like a secret club or something. Well not all, a couple guys were helpful.

@Electricthom, yeah love the good ole GD. Nice to meet you.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will probably use plywood and paint it flat white, if it helps the heat and is still reflective then it sounds better.

I plan on building my final box 52"W x 20"D x 60"H and put a couple intakes at the bottom, one passive and one with a fan. Then put an outtake at the top with a fan and duct to dump the air out the closet door.
I am making the box a little bigger than the light to allow the hot air to flow around it.

@YardDog35, that is very encouraging. Still on the fence on what I will finally do, but its noce to hear a few people running HPS in small closets.
I do have the advantage of a centrally cooled house, so the "room" temps stay around 76, so its a little warmer in the closet, but still not bad.
I am going to check the local store and see what kind of lights & ballasts they have, any suggestions on 250W air cooled reflector?
If I can find something reasonable that I can pull air in to cool it and exhaust it back out I think I will have to try.

I saw my first show in 88, I was just a kid and my brother brought me to the show, loved it and never looked back. Saw them a bunch 90 - 94 when I was in my adventurous stages of life lol. Was lucky enough to catch a bunch of JGB as well 92 - 94, thats trully the hidden treasure of the last few years, like a different guy showed up at those shows....

Back on topic. The fan pushing air makes sense.

I do have a nice pair of 230mm case fans for a computer, they are quiet and run around 700 rpm, however I cant find the cfm rating. Was thinking I can use them as intake/exhaust for a box.
How do you get power to them tho? I have been searching around for it, but must not be looking for the right thing. Been building pc's for years, I would think I should know, but then again pc's have power supplies...

I saw my first show in 88, I was just a kid and my brother brought me to the show, loved it and never looked back. Saw them a bunch 90 - 94 when I was in my adventurous stages of life lol. Was lucky enough to catch a bunch of JGB as well 92 - 94, thats trully the hidden treasure of the last few years, like a different guy showed up at those shows....

Back on topic. The fan pushing air makes sense.

I do have a nice pair of 230mm case fans for a computer, they are quiet and run around 700 rpm, however I cant find the cfm rating. Was thinking I can use them as intake/exhaust for a box.
How do you get power to them tho? I have been searching around for it, but must not be looking for the right thing. Been building pc's for years, I would think I should know, but then again pc's have power supplies...

You'll find you're limited on reflectors because of your cab size. I've tried Hydrofarm, Cool Tube, and Sun System Super Sun 2. I use the Super Sun 2 now and really like it. Puts out great light!

The comp fans need an AC to DC adapter. Radio Shack is a great place for them. They have a 3v-12v adapter for around $20. Most fans are 7 volt max. Add up the amp draw of the fans as well. Don't exceed the specified amperage of the adapter. Cut the plug off and hard wire it to your fans. There are only 2 wires, and they aren't labeled. You have a 50/50 chance of wiring it right...not to worry if they don't work just switch the wires. It doesn't harm them if wired backwards, they just won't work.

Hope that helps!

Yeah it does thanks. I have a pretty good idea of what i am going to do at this point regardless of which way I go with the light. There is a local shop that is running everything 15 - 50% off, got my 4' 4 bulb for 89$. So I am going to try and get a good reflector now. I am gong to build with the intention of going with the HPS for flowering, if it gets too hot I will just go back to the flo's.

I will post a few pics of the new setup when I am done.
I had found 3 seeds in some killer med that was supposedly Bruce Banner, all three have sprouted so I am going to use them for my first run, probably go to a 12/12 once they are 18" or so and keep them bushy. This first run was more of an experiment to see what was possible.

Also I have been reading up on Scrog growing too, so I may try that as well to utilize the space.

I would steer clear of bundle deals like that. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to ballast and bulb. I know it's hard to spend the extra money but remember, the light is the heart of your grow. And electricity is expensive. JD Lighting (a sponsor here), Lumitek, and Quantum all make fine quality ballast. I run the Lumitek because they are the only ones that make a 250 watter. Bonus is it's switchable to 400 watts. Guaranteed if you physically picked up that advertised ballast, then Lumitek, you would feel the quality difference. Combine that with a grow specific bulb and you're as efficient as you can get. More lumens using the same amount of power.

All my opinion of course. If that $149 is all there is left in the budget for lighting, I would say that's the best route to take. At least your running a digi ballast and growing :thumb:

Thanks YardDog, I am at the point where rflector + ballast & bulb is a bit out of my range. Actually was kinda figuring just sticking with the T5.
But was looking around and saw that, as well as another similar. I kind of figured it would not be quality.
But still, for 150 I would be under HPS vs T5 and considering my space the HPS would help the yeild quite a bit, so its hard to pass up. And I like the cooling.

Kinda why I posted here.. Still a month or so away from flowering. And I could always put together a few extra bucks. It was just that I looked at some locally, and by the time I got the reflector, ballast & bulb I was over 300.

How is the cooling on the sun system 2? I know I would add a 4" fan and duct out. And that one is reasonably priced. But the single spot to add a fan makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks YardDog. How is the cooling on the sun system 2? I know I would add a 4" fan and duct out. And that one is reasonably priced. But the single spot to add a fan makes me a bit nervous.

You're welcome and anytime. The cooling on my SS 2 is just as good as the cool tube I had. The 6" cool tube puts the bulb close to the exterior of glass and built in reflector causing more radiant heat in my tent. The SS 2 is deeper and has no radiant heat at the glass, sides, and top. The reflector quality is night and day! Much more coverage and penetration with the deeper, broader SS 2.

Well I am pretty much setup, have to say I really did the job for cooling & airflow.
Box is 54"L x 24"W x 66"H
Have 1 8" intake duct with a 10" fan pushing in air from the room, 2 4" exhaust at the top, havent gotten any 4" fans yet, but I put a little desk fan up there, and the intake was actually pushing air out of both when the box was closed up. Thats just on low/med too..

Should have no problem running a 250W SS2 in there. I am going to scrog this one and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom