co2 supplementation

I use a DIY CO2 generator using 1-2 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp yeast and a 2 liter bottle with warm water. In my 4' x 2' x 5' grow box one bottle produces up to 2000 PPM CO2 slowly ramping down over the course of a week or two to around 600-800 PPM CO2. Make sure temps are above 85° or the supplemental CO2 is just a waste of time.

I use a DIY CO2 generator using 1-2 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp yeast and a 2 liter bottle with warm water. In my 4' x 2' x 5' grow box one bottle produces up to 2000 PPM CO2 slowly ramping down over the course of a week or two to around 600-800 PPM CO2. Make sure temps are above 85° or the supplemental CO2 is just a waste of time.

Why is it a waste of time? I thought temps were supposed to be lower than 85? At 85 plant growth slows. Atleast that's what i've been told.

Plants do not need supplemental CO2 when temps are at 85° or lower. The ~400 PPM of CO2 that naturally exists in the air all around us is more than sufficient and any additional CO2 is not consumed. When temps exceed 85°, transpiration increases and with a normal CO2 level they can experience stress. Supplementing the grow environment with CO2 at these temps allows the plant to better deal with the increased temps and to grow at a faster rate.

I see a lot of grows on YouTube using CO2 at roughly 1500 PPM. My question then is being as though CO2 is heavier than O2, what is the end result to the root zone in terms of having adequate O2 levels at the root zone? I'm trying to find a thread or video where someone more knowledgeable discusses these relations, but nobody is touching that base. Would it then be wise to try to separate the room into an upper and lower chamber to try and keep the added CO2 strictly at the canopy level, then allowing the grower to circulate natural air through the lower chamber for the root zone's sake? Or would doing something like this be over thinking the process a bit?

I'm a DIY guy and I love to try and invent new ways to help my grows become more efficient, and I believe building an over/under would be extremely complicated to say the least. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom