COBs - DIY or buy?

Nice. If heat becomes an issue, you can move the power supplies out of the grow area. If heat is still an issue, you can box in those heat sinks, add a fan and ducting, and move the (majority of the) heat out of the grow room without it coming into contact with the general grow room environment.

Didn't really think about it, but are those power strips putting off enough heat to change the temperature a few degrees?

Didn't really think about it, but are those power strips putting off enough heat to change the temperature a few degrees?

You mean those (typically) 6-outlet things that people plug their electrical devices into? If I noticed one of those getting warm, lol, I'd throw it away before it caught on fire. Or, alternately, I'd check to make sure that I'm not very close to overloading its capacity.

If you mean power supplies, yes, they do generate heat. Anything that generates heat is going to raise the surrounding temperature. Whether it's a few degrees, a few hundredths of a degree, or 100 degrees depends on the gross amount of heat and the size of the space, I guess. A candle won't noticeably raise the temperature in your living room, lol - but it can boil water in a paper cup if that cup is directly above it... And 10,000 candles could probably keep you warm at night ;) . That's what people miss when they decide that they'll run 400 watts' worth of little CFLs instead of one 400-watt HID "because a CFL doesn't put out much heat" :icon_roll ....

Hey guys, I just saw this thread LS and I happen to be in the middle of converting my Mars II 400W LED to COB's. I'll be using the original drivers with three 1812 citizens 3500k spectrum. Not sure the CRI rating. If you are still interested in converting your old panels, the cob's only cost me twenty bucks each.

That seems like a good use for an old LED panel - and at $60, probably economically viable.

Let us know if you have or plan on doing a tutorial on the converting of the panel to a Cob!

I'd love to snap some shots and talk about my experience upgrading it. Having said that, GrowMau5 has had a video on his youtube channel for a while now upgrading the exact same light.

This upgrade is cheaper and should be an improvement.

New Timber lights are received, hung and working great
420-magazine-mobile84179877.jpg

That looks killer man!! Are those the deep reds in the center? Absolutely love mine so far

Yea man. Those are 900 watts of 3500K with 400watts of deep reds at 1750K. Day one and plants have responded awesome. No stress signs and actually is cooler than my previous set up of LEDs. Only bout 40% power ATM.

Lonestar did you end up getting your COB built? I just finished building mine, and saw you were in the process so I signed up here so I could help/throw in my $0.02. It was super easy, and I got most of the shipping free, which was a huge plus.

Back
Top Bottom