Coco coir and compost tea - What's your experience?

Just curious about using compost tea with coco coir. Good vs. Bad? Watering schedule? Just looking for advise...

I'd like to make the switch, but I'm running an organic system and do not want to introduce chemical based nutes . It's all about great clean quality!

As for using compost extract, it would have to be nutritionally complete, which I don't think you're going to get from what I call compost (grass clippings and leaves off the trees).

If you plan to dose your coco with great clean quality offal from the slaughterhouse and chickenyard leavings, the only problem I can foresee might be smell and attracting insects and other vermin.

It would be fun and interesting to try, and I'll bet you could get it to work, but if you like compost, maybe just skip the infusion/extraction process and plant straight into compost instead? Maybe mix compost and coco coir to get a nice, airy, well draining medium?

I watered my coco coir + 20% perlite grow every morning with GH FloraSeries and it worked great. People here at 420 are watering that same mixture ten times a day with a timer and getting great results. You definitely do not want to water coco like soil (i.e. letting it dry out) and you can't overwater it, so water as much as you want.

I loved drain-to-waste coco and plan to use it again, only this time definitely with a timer since a) it needs to be watered often and b) automating that process is a simple as putting a pump in a reservoir and running it off a timer. Easy!

If you decide to proceed with your compost coco grow, please let me know. I'd love to see a log. Good luck.

17-minute video with good info on coco growing:
YouTube

Which begs the question, "What do you brew your compost tea from?" Some people here seem to cook up some real witch's brews and I'm curious what's going into yours.
Trade secret...lol. Just kidding.

For VEG I'm running worm castings, an all purpose fert, kelp meal, molasses, fish ferts....

For flower I'm running all of the above including bat guano and seabird guano.

Outstanding results...

Back
Top Bottom