Colorado: County Puts Limit On Number Of Medical Marijuana Plants People Can Grow

Jacob Redmond

A big loophole has been closed when it comes to growing medical marijuana. Until now, there was no limit on how many plants a person could grow in their home in El Paso County.

From now on, people who grow medical marijuana cannot have more than 12 plants. County commissioners say it's been a big problem in El Paso County. The problem, they say, is people are coming in-- some from other countries--and turning residential homes into grow operations.

Here's the loophole: medical marijuana patients can have numerous plants grown for them, depending on their case. So, commissioners tell us, a lot of the growers tell law enforcement their plants are for patients and there's no way to verify it because of privacy laws.

Now, you can't grow more than a dozen per household.

"It's not about walking into a house that's a normal house and they have a few plants in the back room," said Amy Lathen, chair of the El Paso Board of County Commissioners. "These folks are going in, they shutter the windows, they pirate electrical, they turn the entire place into a grow operation. It's pretty extraordinary, the damage that's done."

Tuesday, commissioners passed temporary regulations. They will have another hearing in September to make this more permanent.

15300.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: County Puts Limit On Number Of Medical Marijuana Plants People Can Grow
Author: Katie Pelton
Photo Credit: Daniele Rudischer
Website: Colorado Springs & Pueblo | News Weather Sports | KKTV 11

That ought to solve El Paso's problem all right. Good to know. :)

Do you happen to know what laws govern our growing in our homes that happen to be near a school?

I believe you would be fine if you have your purple card and are following the plant count issued by your doc, apparently no more than 12 now. I thought it would be a problem also, but I have a neighbor who is a community officer and he said nothing when I invited him over for dinner. He just kept saying how good my house smelled and asked how much my power runs me :) I believe I could piss on the playground if I stand on the edge of my porch.

You are too funny. :)

Is there a way to know "for sure"? It's like pulling teeth to find out whether or not there are regulations pertaining to this in my state..my town..and my county. Is there some great authority I could ask here? (Like a legal advocacy group or some such thing?)

Good news to report. I got to talk to the highest authority for all this and he said there are no 'separation restrictions' that would prohibit a resident from growing plants because they live near a school, park, etc. Those kinds of regulations apply only to the Dispensaries. Now I just need to get brave enough to try. :)

HA! After getting off the phone with the authority I ordered Jorge Cervantes' book (The Cannabis Encyclopedia) from Amazon so now I have no excuse to fail. I'd like to get a grow box if anyone knows of a good one that won't break the bank. It'll be a while until I'm ready to grow but I'll try to remember to come back and let you know how it goes. :thanks: for all your help!

Just looked at all the tents on Amazon. So many choices. I think I want to start small, to just see if I can keep 2 plants alive for the duration. But your suggestion is a lot less expensive than the Grandma's Secret Garden Grow Box I was eyeballing.

Anytime! Just order a 4x2 tent, 4" duct booster fan and a 4 bulb t5 off amazon. Should be less than $200 for everything and when you decide to upgrade, you will already have a veg tent:thumb:

I agree. Order the equipment above (add a simple TEMP and humidity monitor) and start a grow journal here on :420:
You can ever start your grow journal with NOTHING and ask for help in how to grow.
There is a fantastic grow community that will support you from seed selection through harvest come bugs or nutrients.

I assemble soil, add water and harvest. Other buy bottled nutrients and do a lot of worrying how much to add when. It's your choice.

I guarantee you that it is easier to learn from growers here on :420: than learn from Jorge Cervantes book (I did that my first grow.)

I vote to assemble soil, add water and harvest. Um...right now I need to fix up a place to put my plants. Then I need to go buy the plants. An unnamed authority told me to buy clones and not seeds so that's what I'll do. Thanks for all the good advice. I generally feel very sorry for all my plants (that are still alive/struggling) so I sure hope I can do this right. I've never even seen a marijuana plant in person. I think I'd like a purple one. :popcorn:

Hey Rocky- start here
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Good information in there. Also, on your first grow I'd recommend starting from seed. Too many variables when buying clones... especially from dispensaries. Powdery Mildew, Mites, Gnats, Aphids, and Bad genetics are all possibilities when buying clones. When you get your equipment figured out, hit me up and I'll give you a couple seeds to start growing with. Since this is an El Paso county thread, I assume you are there so it's not an issue. If you live further away.... pm me when you are ready and we will work it out!:thumb:
GB80

You make some good points. How long does it take a seed to be as big as a clone? I live near Golden, so we'll have to work something out. :high-five: What kind of seeds do you have. Tell me about your garden! I know it's late...tomorrow maybe?

And thanks a bunch for that growing guide!

Depends, could take 2 or 3 weeks to get about 5" tall, but then they start growing pretty good after that. I should have some cross bred feminized seed soon. Check out my journals and look at my gardens. Just got some pics up tonight in my Scrogco journal. Say hello if you stop by. Lots of great people there also if you have questions and I don't answer fast enough:)

Back
Top Bottom