Colorado's Marijuana Foes And Supporters Worked For Smooth Launch

The General

Some public officials predicted unruly customers would fight over scarce supplies when recreational marijuana went live in Colorado. Others feared images of public toking would be beamed around the world. Instead, a peaceful, respectful and mellow crowd greeted the advent of recreational marijuana sales on New Year's Day. Marijuana industry representatives and public officials credited the smooth launch to months of planning and cooperation. Former foes agreed along the way to work together to settle such nettlesome issues as whether armed security would be permitted.

"We all realized at some point that our priorities are pretty much the same," said Mike Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group, which considers itself the chamber of commerce for recreational marijuana. "We all want to keep businesses safe and secure and keep the customers safe." Public officials and pot supporters created fliers. Police and recreational marijuana shop owners agreed to increase police patrols. Industry advocates encouraged the hiring of security guards at recreational stores. Denver elected officials, worried about long lines and a lack of supply, worked behind the scenes to double the number of licenses issued in the city for recreational marijuana sales. "We were trying to come up with a game plan for every possible scenario," Elliott said.

Guns and Marijuana:
In the past, no armed security guards worked at medical marijuana businesses, in part because store owners feared federal officials didn't want guns mixing with marijuana, Elliott said. Jack Finlaw, chief legal counsel to Gov. John Hickenlooper, checked with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Colorado and was told armed security would be OK. Many recreational marijuana shops then hired security firms and employed former Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans to keep a watchful eye on opening day.

Finlaw said a major reason that things went smoothly Wednesday was due to a state task force that brought marijuana business owners, prosecutors, police and public officials together to work on legislation and regulation. "We discovered that we all had a mutual goal to get this launched very efficiently and effectively," Finlaw said. Industry advocates worked with Denver officials to design and print 50,000 fliers encouraging those buying recreational marijuana to refrain from taking the marijuana outside of Colorado, reselling the marijuana, giving the marijuana to those under 21, engaging in public marijuana use and driving while impaired by marijuana.

Marijuana advocates distributed additional fliers to warn customers that edibles have a delayed effect that might be more powerful than expected. Police and pot smokers – two groups long suspicious of each other – set aside long-held biases and worked together. Police agreed to increase patrols near recreational shops, Elliott said. "It's pretty phenomenal historically for something like that to work," he said. "We've successfully built bridges between two communities that for years have nothing in common and no common ground."

Fears Expressed:
Denver Councilman Charlie Brown said he went to Denver Mayor Michael Hancock weeks ago to express fears that the city wasn't licensing enough businesses for the expected glut of recreational marijuana customers. Hancock worked to quicken the pace of inspections, and the number of businesses that had been expected to receive licenses for recreational sales in Denver doubled to 18, Brown said. "We didn't know how many thousands of people we were going to have," Brown said. "We could have had cannabis chaos, but there was a last-minute push. We spread those stores around the city."

One business in Brown's district in south Denver received a recreational license minutes before the close of city business on New Year's Eve, Brown said. Even with the increase in licenses, long lines still formed for customers wanting to participate in the first legal recreational marijuana sales. Joaquin Ortega, the operations manager and owner of Denver Kush Club, said he hired security guards and prepackaged products to ensure marijuana could be handed out quickly. "Police were proactively circling around and keeping in contact with us," Ortega said.

Business remained brisk Thursday at the two marijuana stores open in Edgewater for recreational sales. Brooke Gehring, one of the owners of the Patient's Choice store on Sheridan Boulevard, said wait times to make a purchase at the store were around two hours during the morning, falling to about an hour in the afternoon. On Wednesday, the store served nearly 600 customers, with the last purchase coming just before midnight, she said. To keep people in line happy during the day Wednesday, the store brought in a food truck, which eventually ran out of food.

"Everybody was happy and excited to be a part of such a historic occasion," she said. Linda Andrews, owner of the LoDo Wellness Center, said that on opening day she turned away customers who reported waiting several hours to buy marijuana, but they returned the next day. "One guy was so nice about it," Andrews said. "He said he took two days off for this very reason. They all have been so nice. It's an easy crowd." She didn't have a security guard on hand the first day of recreational marijuana, but she decided to hire a guard for the second day just to be safe. "We had one problem – a guy who staggered up drunk," she said. She said someone also stole a sign she posted that listed the dos and don'ts for recreational marijuana. "They just wanted a keepsake," Andrews said.

ColoradoLines.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Denverpost.com
Author: Christopher N. Osher
Website: Colorado's marijuana foes and supporters worked for smooth launch - The Denver Post

What...no toking walking down the streets, no violence, murders, death, kill? Maybe some Twinkies missing? I kinda chuckle to myself thinking back to the 'Hippie' days when everyone was going around with the peace, love, happiness, attitude. 49 yrs of smoking, association with users of MJ, potheads where peace loving peeps. Things might of went south @ concerts, gatherings, etc., from 'juiceheads', tweekers, etc., not the 'potheads'. 49 yrs later we still carry the label of 'Reefer madness'.
So it is very refreshing to read an article about legalizing MJ for medical and recreational uses and seeing who REALLY THESE POTHEADS ARE...wow...look like normal everyday peeps to me with families going about their business. I'm not from Colorado so I do not know for sure, but, it appeared to be very well planned out or at least much better planned than no plan in So.Cal. BTW we sure could use the revenues :high-five:

Wow...kinda disappointed 'Reefer Madness' was propaganda:bravo:

Right there with ya Motoco, 45 years of THC and so far so good.. We called 'em "Juice Freaks" in our neighborhood.. haha and I was one for a few years...but I lucked out and got hepitites (sp?) and have been "dry" for almost 40 years.. I can't imagine where I would be if I would have stayed a Juice Freak... Wow.... 40 years without booze........Hey to be honest I have drank mabey 5 times in all those years..Not bad huh ? The last time was when they blew up the King Dome,We camped out across the freeway from it so we could see it go down at 6:30 am(what a waste).. there was quiet a crowd and we had a blast hootin and a hollerin and stopped drinkin before "things got ugly", as can happen with those old J.F.'s....Boy how time flys when your havin fun.....Happy 2014 ...Red...

5 times in all those years Red?....thats still very good lolol. Listen Brother, it was great growing up with some of the best 'tunes' ever...Roy Rodgers to Pawn Stars, its been a great journey but I wanted to ask...you know how to slow the sled down?:slide:
Peace

As a teen I hated Marijuana because it made me too relaxed or I feel asleep on only one or two hits. How they could say it makes you into a evil freak was just the opposite. Now hard liquor on the other hand made me want to fight a lot.

Things have changed since then for me. I now have MS and other problems and a lot of pain and sleeping is very hard to do when your in mega pain. So I recently started vaporing MMJ and it works great for me now.

When I was a teen I could not even play my guitar on it. My buddy wanted to jam all the time and as soon as I took a hit I was out of it and falling to sleep. Now I noticed when it is high in Sativia that I can actually play that guitar much better than I can off it sometimes. If it is high in Indica I can sleep like a baby through my pains. I swear by the stuff but I also did not take it for many many years at least 35 years before I started back up on it for medical reasons now.

I never knew about that refer madness movie or any false propaganda that went on until recently when I was researching the MMJ over the Internet. I did not know that Industrial Hemp was made illegal illegally also until I did that research and literally it made me pissed off when I learned how a whole industry was knocked out by Dupont and Hearst for their own profits and done secretly and under perjury. But I did know from my own experience that I never got rowdy on weed.

So to hear it went off real good without incidence shows that tokers are mellow people for the most part. Also my brother was in law enforcement and those people for the most part do not really have any beef with MMJ. They also know that it is much safer than Alcohol use and less incidence of fights and so forth with it than with Alcohol. A lot of cops actually use the stuff themselves in secret.

The only times I think is should not be used is when your handling dangerous equipment and tools or driving anything that could kill or harm someone else or yourself. Once I take one hit of it I will not drive at all until I do not feel it in my system at all. I usually only take it right before I go to sleep. Every now and then when the pain is at it's extreme I will hit it during the day. When I am on it I am as mellow as ever. When I am off it and in pain I am a grump.

I have this theory that "the more pleasure you have the less pain you have". Your brain can only handle so much input and if you load it more with pleasure than pain you get relief from the pain. It is just a theory but it seems to work for me. Might be psychological too though? You know the placebo affect? That is why I rather make love than war also and I rather be happy than unhappy and mellow rather than grumpy.

With all the stress which kills in todays society it is time they allowed us to have real relief and to relax and this stuff does the trick 100%. I am still learning all the law stuff and it is hard to remember it all because the same chemicals from my job that caused my MS also damaged my short term memory. But eventually I am going to know what I can and can not do legally here. I think they whole US needs to legalize this plant and hemp and leave everyone alone that uses and grows it and not set limits on it.

All the people I know that use it are pretty mellow normal people for the most part and you would be surprised at how many are business white collar types. Then you also have people like myself who are injured and disabled and extremely low income. I am going to have to eventually grow it for myself because I can not afford it. Only problem with that is that I can not afford to grow it also and I do not have a green thumb. I can not even keep a simple tomato plant alive and I have tried to for years. I am hoping if I grow it myself that I can not kill it like I do tomato plants?

I can't wait for the day when it is legal period and everyone is growing it like flower in their yards. I love the sweet smell of fresh MMJ so I hope industry makes it into perfumes and scented products also.

So I do not believe the Marijuana users are the problems but I can see some crazy drunk or tweaker being problems. That is what they need to worry about more than pot heads. I never heard of people on pot killing other people in fights or brawls. I never heard of anyone dying from to much weed also. If anything they just fall to sleep when they have had too much. The only person I have know that was paranoid on it was my step dad and he was paranoid because he was breaking the law using it. If it was not illegal he would not have been paranoid.

I know a lot of people who never tried any other street drugs so that stepping stone thing is also a lie. I tried other drugs when I was a teen but I was high on Purple Microdot Acid way before I ever got high on weed and I only did that because someone tricked me and slipped it into my food. I also had some jerks slip angel dust into a joint and laid me out on the sofa the rest of the day. I was not even able to move or I would have kicked their butts for tricking me. Never hung out with those guys again.

As a teen I did not really care for weed. I rather take caffeine pills and get a speedy buzz feeling rather than a downer feeling like weed. Alcohol was my main thing back then and it got me in way more trouble than any drugs I have ever taken on purpose or accident. I did take Magic Mushrooms which I liked the way that made me feel but it also was a mellow feeling. I tried Cocaine and it did nothing for me at all. It just wasted all my extra money. My girlfriend liked it so I bought it for her.I tried it a couple times and nothing happened. So I would not buy it again for her. To me it was a waste of money.

I am 56 now and that was back when I was 16 to 21 years old. I mostly drank though and hardly ever did any drugs. Now I only do MMJ. In-between then and now I only drank alcohol and it was moderately because of my religious beliefs. I got a DUI when I was 25 and that was because I was trying to use alcohol as pain medication. I went too far because I had become a light weight since I hardly ever touched the stuff. I did not know my limits anymore on alcohol and over drank and lost count of how much I was drinking. I did not even know I was driving until I was pulled over and the lights from the police car kind of sobered me up.

My stomach is a mess so I can not even handle alcohol now. Last time I tried to drink some wine I puked my guts out. So from my experience weed is the medicine of choice now. And I do not feel rowdy like I did with everything else I used except Magic Mushrooms. I never have tried Mescaline and am curious about it since I am over 1/4 Native American Indian and I know they use it in their religious ceremonies. I have only done hash once. It was not a good batch or it would have done something too me. It did not so that was a lousy experience and a waste of money.

I think that everyone should be given a choice to experience different drugs at least once and under medical supervision and monitoring so that they do not have anymore curiosity about it once they try it. I only did the Magic mushroom back then 2 times even though I liked it. I would not for the most part try anything that was addicting. No needles at all. MMJ is not addictive. My worst addiction as a teen was cigarettes and it took me from 17 to 22 to quit.

The natural drugs are actually in my eyes the safest. I had prescription drugs put me in the emergency and never a street drug even came close to that experience. I thought I was going to die. It was Ambien and it was suppose to help me sleep with my pain. My brain was having electrical surges and arching and my whole body was shutting down and I felt like I had no energy and was over a hundred years old then it would swing to feeling mellow then it went to convulsions and the cycle started all over again. I had to force myself to breath and I remember it was around 100 degrees out and I was freezing and my arms broke out with hives on them and itched all over. They diagnosed me as Hypersensitive to medications.

Later I found out that it was because the chemicals I had worked with damaged my whole body. I was also diagnosed with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity due to my work environment alone with the Environmentally caused MS. So when I take synthetic medications it is essentially chemicals in my body and I have bad reactions eventually to them. So I am stuck using natural products anyway. I get organic grown weed only.

Weed is a mellowing medication and that is the bottom line. So that is why no one got rowdy and caused problems.

Back
Top Bottom