Compelling Reasons For Cannabis Legalization

It seems that the DEA and its prohibitionist allies are getting rather desperate in the face of strong and growing support for Cannabis Legalization, the support that is felt not only in California, but across the Nation ahead of the November Ballot Initiative that would Legalize, Control and Tax Cannabis in the State of California. Realizing that the people of this country are becoming way too informed to fall for the stale, washed-out "arguments" that Cannabis is "addictive", that it "favors the criminal activity", or that it is a "gateway drug", the prohibitionists are now singing a new tune, and that is that "there are no good reasons" to Legalize this relatively harmless and widely used substance. "No good reasons..." Well, let's see.

The way I look at it, the California Initiative is not just about anyone's individual right to "smoke weed", it is about a fundamental personal liberty of an adult individual to use the less dangerous substance for recreational purposes, when those who "outlaw" it and would love to keep it illegal, use the more dangerous one themselves. I am referring to Cannabis and alcohol, to be certain. Even though the DEA and its allies may have a finely tuned machinery of repression to enforce this sad state of affairs, there is no moral authority on their part to do so. And as most of us know, repression and moral authority are two very different things. But let's suppose that the simple absence of moral authority is not good enough reason for the prohibitionists to stop their repressive actions for, after all, they are following in the infamous footsteps of Harry Anslinger, a racist egomaniac and author of Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. Very well, Gentlemen, here are some good reasons to legalize Cannabis, and they go well beyond a simple "absence of harm".

We all know how sick and tired we are of violence. Violence on our streets, in our homes, in our neighborhoods, on our borders. We also know that alcohol is highly "conducive" to violence, and true enough, many violent acts are committed under the influence of alcohol. Yet the DEA and its allies are unlikely to educate the public that Cannabis use has been shown to suppress violent behavior. Yes, that's right, marijuana use suppresses violence. As Substance Abuse: A Comprehensive Textbook explains, "by inducing a calm, relaxed state, marijuana is not conducive to violence and only the unsophisticated think otherwise". Wow! Although I believe that the DEA can easily withstand the "accusations" of being overly "sophisticated", this alone, in my opinion, should put an end to the whole argument about Cannabis legalization. But wait, there are more "good reasons" if our opponents really want to see them.

It is demonstrated in poll after poll that between 74 and 81% of the voters support the legalization of medical Cannabis. If the nationwide Referendum on this issue was conducted tomorrow, the proponents would win. Decisively. Across the Nation. And yet, the DEA continues to vehemently oppose the medical marijuana laws everywhere, spreading what I could only call a campaign of deliberate disinformation, not unlike now defunct KGB Fifth Chief Directorate that I had the privilege to oppose in my younger years. I addressed this issue in my previous blogs, but suffice it to say without a moment's hesitation that if it were solely up to the DEA, not one State medical marijuana law would survive for a day. It is not that the DEA does not "understand" that medical marijuana is highly effective in a wide variety of medical conditions — it understands this well, but the "dogma" that demands that Cannabis remain illegal is above any such considerations, even the will of the voters notwithstanding. The KGB operated by the same ideology: "Yes, Comrades, we understand that the economy is disintegrating and all, but the Marxist-Leninist doctrine prevents us from allowing private enterprise...." Well, you know. And before KGB there was the "Sacred Inquisition" that also placed "dogma" above everything else.

This is what I am afraid of: if the California Initiative were to fail, the opponents of medical marijuana laws would descend like vultures on those frail, unsteady, "baby" State laws laws and rip them to shreds. A continuing harassment and arrests of medical marijuana growers and suppliers, even in the States where it is legal, prove my point. Is this what we want??

But what about the prohibitionists' "trump card", the so-called "gateway drug" theory? I worked in addictions for almost 10 years, and this is what I know. The anti-Cannabis laws in this country seem to promote alcohol and hard drug addictions. The reason for this is that people are afraid of "being detected" on a "random drug screen", so instead of choosing the relatively safe Cannabis for their "weekend recreation", they indulge themselves instead with alcohol, *******, opiates, ***************s, or highly physically addictive prescription "pills" because those substances are "cleared" much more rapidly from one's "system", and are less likely to be detected on a "random drug screen". This is the truth behind the so-called "gateway drug" theory.

President Obama and his drug Czar are absolutely correct in trying now to direct attention to prescription drug abuse, for the scope of this problem is truly enormous and does not even come close to that really or potentially caused by Cannabis. If we think about it, we do not have one single "recreational" substance that would provide a safer alternative to alcohol, not to mention "hard drugs". The California Initiative seeks to end this and to provide people with safe alternative that has the potential of alleviating this Nation's huge drug and alcohol problem.

"Well", you might say, "but how is it that most doctors of this Nation remain silent about this deplorable state of affairs?" A fair question with a very simple answer. The DEA has a total professional "control" over doctors who need the special "DEA number" to practice medicine. No "number" — and the Medical License becomes a worthless piece of paper, so is it surprising that the doctors are forced to "side" with the DEA, and cannot say a word no matter what their own professional opinion might be? This also goes for the official addiction medicine "establishment" and all of the "allied" medical and counselor personnel. Is this the level of repression directed towards our health-care providers that we are willing to continue tolerating? Passing the California Initiative will send the clearest signal yet that we are not!

So, this is how the whole thing works — medical professionals are "paralyzed" for fear of losing the precious "DEA number", while a large portion of the population is "held hostage" by the menace of "random drug screens" that would reveal Cannabis use before they reveal anything else. Is it difficult to understand then that the proponents of the Initiative are fighting a very much of an "uphill battle", but also that we in this country will not allow anyone or anything to become that "State within the State" that would uphold its "dogmas" above our economic interests, our safety, our health, or our Rights as citizens.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: AlterNet
Author: doctork
Copyright: 2010 AlterNet

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

It seems that the DEA and its prohibitionist allies are getting rather desperate in the face of strong and growing support for Cannabis Legalization, the support that is felt not only in California, but across the Nation ahead of the November Ballot Initiative that would Legalize, Control and Tax Cannabis in the State of California. Realizing that the people of this country are becoming way too informed to fall for the stale, washed-out “arguments” that Cannabis is “addictive”, that it “favors the criminal activity”, or that it is a “gateway drug”, the prohibitionists are now singing a new tune, and that is that “there are no good reasons” to Legalize this relatively harmless and widely used substance. “No good reasons…” Well, let’s see.

The way I look at it, the California Initiative is not just about anyone’s individual right to “smoke weed”, it is about a fundamental personal liberty of an adult individual to use the less dangerous substance for recreational purposes, when those who “outlaw” it and would love to keep it illegal, use the more dangerous one themselves. I am referring to Cannabis and alcohol, to be certain. Even though the DEA and its allies may have a finely tuned machinery of repression to enforce this sad state of affairs, there is no moral authority on their part to do so. And as most of us know, repression and moral authority are two very different things. But let’s suppose that the simple absence of moral authority is not good enough reason for the prohibitionists to stop their repressive actions for, after all, they are following in the infamous footsteps of Harry Anslinger, a racist egomaniac and author of Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. Very well, Gentlemen, here are some good reasons to legalize Cannabis, and they go well beyond a simple “absence of harm”.

We all know how sick and tired we are of violence. Violence on our streets, in our homes, in our neighborhoods, on our borders. We also know that alcohol is highly “conducive” to violence, and true enough, many violent acts are committed under the influence of alcohol. Yet the DEA and its allies are unlikely to educate the public that Cannabis use has been shown to suppress violent behavior. Yes, that’s right, marijuana use suppresses violence. As Substance Abuse: A Comprehensive Textbook explains, “by inducing a calm, relaxed state, marijuana is not conducive to violence and only the unsophisticated think otherwise”. Wow! Although I believe that the DEA can easily withstand the “accusations” of being overly “sophisticated”, this alone, in my opinion, should put an end to the whole argument about Cannabis legalization. But wait, there are more “good reasons” if our opponents really want to see them.

It is demonstrated in poll after poll that between 74 and 81% of the voters support the legalization of medical Cannabis. If the nationwide Referendum on this issue was conducted tomorrow, the proponents would win. Decisively. Across the Nation. And yet, the DEA continues to vehemently oppose the medical marijuana laws everywhere, spreading what I could only call a campaign of deliberate disinformation, not unlike now defunct KGB Fifth Chief Directorate that I had the privilege to oppose in my younger years. I addressed this issue in my previous blogs, but suffice it to say without a moment’s hesitation that if it were solely up to the DEA, not one State medical marijuana law would survive for a day. It is not that the DEA does not “understand” that medical marijuana is highly effective in a wide variety of medical conditions – it understands this well, but the “dogma” that demands that Cannabis remain illegal is above any such considerations, even the will of the voters notwithstanding. The KGB operated by the same ideology: “Yes, Comrades, we understand that the economy is disintegrating and all, but the Marxist-Leninist doctrine prevents us from allowing private enterprise….” Well, you know. And before KGB there was the “Sacred Inquisition” that also placed “dogma” above everything else.

This is what I am afraid of: if the California Initiative were to fail, the opponents of medical marijuana laws would descend like vultures on those frail, unsteady, “baby” State laws laws and rip them to shreds. A continuing harassment and arrests of medical marijuana growers and suppliers, even in the States where it is legal, prove my point. Is this what we want??

But what about the prohibitionists’ “trump card”, the so-called “gateway drug” theory? I worked in addictions for almost 10 years, and this is what I know. The anti-Cannabis laws in this country seem to promote alcohol and hard drug addictions. The reason for this is that people are afraid of “being detected” on a “random drug screen”, so instead of choosing the relatively safe Cannabis for their “weekend recreation”, they indulge themselves instead with alcohol, *******, opiates, ***************s, or highly physically addictive prescription “pills” because those substances are “cleared” much more rapidly from one’s “system”, and are less likely to be detected on a “random drug screen”. This is the truth behind the so-called “gateway drug” theory.

President Obama and his drug Czar are absolutely correct in trying now to direct attention to prescription drug abuse, for the scope of this problem is truly enormous and does not even come close to that really or potentially caused by Cannabis. If we think about it, we do not have one single “recreational” substance that would provide a safer alternative to alcohol, not to mention “hard drugs”. The California Initiative seeks to end this and to provide people with safe alternative that has the potential of alleviating this Nation’s huge drug and alcohol problem.

“Well”, you might say, “but how is it that most doctors of this Nation remain silent about this deplorable state of affairs?” A fair question with a very simple answer. The DEA has a total professional “control” over doctors who need the special “DEA number” to practice medicine. No “number” – and the Medical License becomes a worthless piece of paper, so is it surprising that the doctors are forced to “side” with the DEA, and cannot say a word no matter what their own professional opinion might be? This also goes for the official addiction medicine “establishment” and all of the “allied” medical and counselor personnel. Is this the level of repression directed towards our health-care providers that we are willing to continue tolerating? Passing the California Initiative will send the clearest signal yet that we are not!

So, this is how the whole thing works – medical professionals are “paralyzed” for fear of losing the precious “DEA number”, while a large portion of the population is “held hostage” by the menace of “random drug screens” that would reveal Cannabis use before they reveal anything else. Is it difficult to understand then that the proponents of the Initiative are fighting a very much of an “uphill battle”, but also that we in this country will not allow anyone or anything to become that “State within the State” that would uphold its “dogmas” above our economic interests, our safety, our health, or our Rights as citizens.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: AlterNet
Author: doctork
Copyright: 2010 AlterNet

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

First off the Feds don`t vote, the people of California do, so who cares about what `they`say anyway? And the Feds don`t licence doctors in the state of California,that is left to the state to do_Only thing feds do with doctors is licence them through the DEA if they want to proscribe narcotics.Any doctor who recomends or proscribes medical marijuana is subject to the lose of thier fedral licence to proscribe narcotics but the feds cannot take away the state licence to practis as that is controlled buy state licence.

I find myself uncomfortably in agreement with the Feds on one point`There is no reason to legalize marijuana in California` ,at least the way the Tax,Regulate and Control law is written. It offers nothing for marijuana users to gain and is written in favor of making it`s backers rich instead.In fact it causes two new felony laws to come into play against marijuana users,will increase the cost of marijuana ,sets up local goverments with to much power over marijuana use,and would cost many a grower to be unable to support thier families.For this it makes having an oz `legal`buy replacing the possible fine of up to $100 if caught with under an oz. with high taxes regardless of if you are `cought`.It also restricts the ability to smoke anywhere in public. It`s a bad law and not a step forward at all but instead a large step backwards from personal rights and freedom for marijuana users. I to would like to see marijuana legal but this law is pure bunk! please vote NO in November !

First off the Feds don`t vote, the people of California do, so who cares about what `they`say anyway? And the Feds don`t licence doctors in the state of California,that is left to the state to do_Only thing feds do with doctors is licence them through the DEA if they want to proscribe narcotics.Any doctor who recomends or proscribes medical marijuana is subject to the lose of thier fedral licence to proscribe narcotics but the feds cannot take away the state licence to practis as that is controlled buy state licence.

I find myself uncomfortably in agreement with the Feds on one point`There is no reason to legalize marijuana in California` ,at least the way the Tax,Regulate and Control law is written. It offers nothing for marijuana users to gain and is written in favor of making it`s backers rich instead.In fact it causes two new felony laws to come into play against marijuana users,will increase the cost of marijuana ,sets up local goverments with to much power over marijuana use,and would cost many a grower to be unable to support thier families.For this it makes having an oz `legal`buy replacing the possible fine of up to $100 if caught with under an oz. with high taxes regardless of if you are `cought`.It also restricts the ability to smoke anywhere in public. It`s a bad law and not a step forward at all but instead a large step backwards from personal rights and freedom for marijuana users. I to would like to see marijuana legal but this law is pure bunk! please vote NO in November !

Mark,
I have seen you post this several times, and I have asked you to point out where it is. It seems that there is alot of misinformation being thrown around about this law, not trying to flame, but want to have the facts and not opinion.

Thanks

this is my post from another thread...

Thanks Mark,

You mention brewing, and I think that is a good example. I am allowed to brew 15 gal/yr I think. However, I consume far more than that.. The ingredients end up costing me about 30 to 40 bucks a batch and I get 2 cases a batch,, 1 batch is 5 gal. So a little savings, but not much from retail. And alot of work. But what I do get is a far superior product, better taste etc, and it's kinda fun to give a brew and say I made it... But the cost is close to retail, but being able to brew also probably helps keep retail prices in check,, (besides the hefty taxes you pay at retial) I would think that this would have the same effect on MJ, if more people can grow it, then retial prices will come down.

Kinda like growing,, alot of work, but a labor of love.. and a better product. I know if I brew more beer than allwoed per year, no one is gonna say anything,, as for MJ, I would hope the same, but again, I am a realist and realize there will always be some limit. but 25 sq ft, with a SOG, and staged every couple of weeks, you could get more than enough for personal consumption..

and the way the law reads, it sounds like it would be 25 sq ft per residence.. so a multi-family, like a duplex, should be able to have 2 separate grow areas..

(ii) Cultivate, on private property by the owner, lawful occupant, or other lawful resident or guest of the private property owner or lawful occupant, cannabis plants for personal consumption only, in an area of not more than twenty-five square feet per private residence or, in the absence of any residence, the parcel. Cultivation on leased or rented property may be subject to approval from the owner of the property. Provided that, nothing in this section shall permit unlawful or unlicensed cultivation of cannabis on any public lands.
(iii) Possess on the premises where grown the living and harvested plants and results of any harvest and processing of plants lawfully cultivated pursuant to section 11300(a)(ii), for personal consumption.
(iv) Possess objects, items, tools, equipment, products and materials associated with activities permitted under this subsection.

(v) "residence" means a dwelling or structure, whether permanent or temporary, on private or public property, intended for occupation by a person or persons for residential purposes, and includes that portion of any structure intended for both commercial and residential purposes.

and it looks like it would allow a pot cafe of sorts?

"Personal consumption" shall include but is not limited to possession and consumption, in any form, of cannabis in a residence or other non-public place, and shall include licensed premises open to the public authorized to permit on-premises consumption of cannabis by a local government pursuant to section 11301.

I do not see anywhere where it allows commercial grows either, so if you could provide where in the bill that it would allow a commercial entity like Phillip Morris to grow, that would be great. However, I think a commercial grower would just bring the proces down, like Budweiser and such do for beer...

as for the felonies.. please point out to me where it states that a minor smoking pot would be guilty of a felony.
I see reference to someone who gives pot to a minor,, and there is a law against giving alcohol to a minor as well,,,

Section 4: Prohibition on Furnishing Marijuana to Minors
Section 11361 of the Health and Safety Code is amended to read:
Prohibition on Furnishing Marijuana to Minors
(a) Every person 18 years of age or over who hires, employs, or uses a minor in transporting, carrying, selling, giving away, preparing for sale, or peddling any marijuana, who unlawfully sells, or offers to sell, any marijuana to a minor, or who furnishes, administers, or gives, or offers to furnish, administer, or give any marijuana to a minor under 14 years of age, or who induces a minor to use marijuana in violation of law shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of three, five, or seven years.
(b) Every person 18 years of age or over who furnishes, administers, or gives, or offers to furnish, administer, or give, any marijuana to a minor 14 years of age or older shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of three, four, or five years.
(c) Every person 21 years of age or over who knowingly furnishes, administers, or gives, or offers to furnish, administer or give, any marijuana to a person aged 18 years or older, but younger than 21 years of age, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of up to six months and be fined up to $1,000 for each offense.
(d) In addition to the penalties above, any person who is licensed, permitted or authorized to perform any act pursuant to Section 11301, who while so licensed, permitted or authorized, negligently furnishes, administers, gives or sells, or offers to furnish, administer, give or sell, any marijuana to any person younger than 21 years of age shall not be permitted to own, operate, be employed by, assist or enter any licensed premises authorized under Section 11301 for a period of one year.

I am not trying to be confrontational, so please do not take it that way. I want to see MJ legal, just like you. I just want to know the facts, and not the spin...

One also may weigh how passing or not passing this law will affect neighboring states and also the outlook of their legislatures view once they can see legal weed while standing in another state.

What about those voters who live where they can choose what state they vote in? How might they change this issue in their two chosen states? Not just Ca.?

So there is a lot of other issues that go alongside this issue.

Just as many state laws are ignored while most taxes are not.

Legalize, Control and Tax Cannabis in the State of California will be a monumental step forward.it will finally be accepted in mainstream society as informed populous from nations see cannabis as a legitimate and non harmful to its social order. as crime and motivations for criminal enterprise diminish so will it be seen as grandpas favorite after dinner 'cocktail".:nicethread:

Back
Top Bottom