Controlling RH during drying

That1guy1

420 Member
How important is it to control the RH?
in my dry room the RH will be anywhere from 50%-85% in a day. Is there anyway to control to get 65% like using a humidifier and a dehumidifier? And is it necessary to do so?

There’s lots of ways to dry your buds so you’ll get lots of answers, none of them are wrong as long you get the results you desire. I just use a dehuey and a fan, set it to 70-65% and it kicks on and off when the rh gets to high. After a couple days I usually don’t need the dehuey anymore and they just air dry out. It’s the first day or two that the rh will climb to 80-85% and that’s what I don’t want so I can avoid mold setting in. Also don’t blow your fan on the buds, it should be blowing indirectly like at the floor or a wall. Hope that helps

It’s been 3 days since I’ve harvested them and they’ve been hanging since, to touch they still feel damp but not wet and the RH is constantly going up and then back down. Fans are blowing against the walls as well

Ya a nice proper dry for me takes about 7-10 days... and yes the rh will keep rising, that’s the nice feature about my dehuey. It monitors the rh and when it goes above what I set it to it kicks on and brings it back to where I want it. You may have to just keep checking on the tent and turning your dehuey back on for a moment until you reach your desired rh... what does the rh in your room raise to?

Just worried the RH might go too low and dry the buds too quick as well, the RH has been at 48% which is the lowest I’ve seen and the highest I’ve seen is 86%

Ya I never let my rh drop below 60% ... I imagine that low of an rh will dry it out too fast. Are you drying in an opened or sealed environment? If it’s not a sealed room then that might be why your seeing such big fluctuations... also how big is the room your drying in?
Edit: Also what equipment have you been using (if any) to try to level your rh out?

It’s in a shed which is pretty sealed up, drying in a 10ft by 10ft room with 3 fans facing the walls on low setting as well as an exhaust fan

Depending on how sealed up that shed is I’m lead to believe that your outside environment is effecting the RH in your shed. I would try to figure out the pattern of the RH fluctuation and use my humidifier/ dehumidifier as needed at the proper times of the day. You might want to think about finding a different place to dry your buds that has a more stable RH that can easily be adjusted and monitored.

I’m assuming it would change with how windy, warm or cold it is outside. I can’t dry it anywhere else so it is the only option I have. Just wondering what I could do to control it

If the Rh of your room is reasonably stable to around 60-65, that’s ideal. It means no matter what happens your weed will only dry to 60-65 RH which is about what you want.
I have very very humid outside conditions but a dehumidifier in my flowering room which hopefully keeps RH down to about 60. I dry my weed in a drying box in the corner of the flowering room. RH in the box will spike with fresh bud in it, but over the course of a week or so will drop to match the rest of the room.

Inkbird makes a controller that you can set the thresholds for high and low levels. If it gets above the high point you can use it to run an exhaust fan. If it drops below you can turn on a humidifier.

Inkbird Humidity Controller Humidistat Pre Wired Plug Digital Sensor

1664819547323.png

Back
Top Bottom