Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Cabin

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

WOW!The eight pages of this journal has really been a trip for all involved.I really want to take the the time and repeat what has already been said by the guys that have hung in there.Jeff this grow will be so satisfying for you and SUPER therapeutic.BTW plants love when you supply music for them(CLAPTON)(LED ZEPPELIN) my personal faves.They also like when you talk to them .No bullshit.Its a proven fact.They have really helped me with some issues i have been dealing with my whole life.My only advice to you is adopt a good discipline with NOT over watering.And have fun and breath deep.:peace:BTW im here for you any time....I got your 6:high-five:

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

Oh yea good choice going with Nirvana Seeds:bravo I have used them for three years and always got my order.Ive only had on seed not germinate out of dozens.There prices are good and there customer service is great.Take care withe those sweet nuggets of gold.Theres a few proven ways to get them going (germinated)when you get them .:peace:

Oh yea good choice going with Nirvana Seeds:bravo I have used them for three years and always got my order.Ive only had on seed not germinate out of dozens.There prices are good and there customer service is great.Take care withe those sweet nuggets of gold.Theres a few proven ways to get them going (germinated)when you get them .:peace:

Actually Ottothief, I got them from this place thats like a seed co-op, they sell seeds from different seed vendors, Nirvana being one of them. Though I don't remember Amsterdam seeds being on there, could be their exorbitant pricing! Might be their seeds are golden nuggets by what they charge LOL!

:Namaste:

Jeff

Say I'm broaching on 6 square feet of floor space, how many 5 gallon buckets could I comfortably put in there with out distressing the plants? I was reading KarlJays journal tonight, and I noticed the root ball issue, so I do want them growing in 5 gallon containers, that should be enough.

Tan, you had mentioned using soil from around here because of the richness. I agree with you on a basic level. What problem I foresee though are my children fighting it out with other weed roots that are sure to be in there as well. As you and I both know, pulling weeds, doesn't get rid of the weed. How would you propose filtering out the soul of everything but its natural nutrients, moose nuggets, and bear scat?

What size pots would you put the newly germinated seeds in? I have seen from a solo cup to a 5 gallon container. Remember I will only have single seeds from different strains and I don't plan on planting them all. I might start with a journal that says "Alaska Indoor Grow-Northern Lights and OG Kush- 1st Grow" Catchy huh? LOL! Oh yeah can't forget, somebody mentioned about additives in the soil, perlite was it? What else would you consider?

I am also worried about smell. Not so worried about heat since I am using 2ft T-5 HO and I will have an oscillating fan in the tent with them. I have no where to vent. I live in a log cabin, and no way am I opening another way for 55 below zero temps to come in! My plant's would become frozen in time. Scientists in the future would find this extinct exotic weed kept as perfect specimen because somebody wanted to vent outside in Alaska!

Well anyway, in about 24 hours I will be ordering all my stuff! The seeds, the tent, lights, ratchet rope, temp monitor, fan...That's about it for one go.

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

In your 6 sq. ft. I beleive you can "comfortably" fit 3 or 4, five gallon containers and cover them with the light you are ordering. I think the limiting factor is to leave enough room for the conopy to bush out. I personally would start them in a smaller container and plan on transplanting at some point. But then I'm very comfortable transplanting a wide variety of plants. I know we've discussed this, but I can't remember your response on your comfort level with transplanting. It's really very easy if you wish to pursue and we will all be available with help.

I understand your concerns with weed roots in the local soil. I have no experience with Alaskan soil and so your experience may prove different than mine, but I have generally found that if you dig down past the top 6-8 or at most 12 inches of topsoil the weed roots thin out if not completely disappear. I suspect you have rich glacial deposited topsoil that runs several feet deep at least although you'll hit permafrost before you hit the bottom of the top soil. For no more soil than your going to need to fill 3 or 4 five gallon containers, I also wouldn't hesitate to sift through the soil with my hands and pull out any larger roots that remain. I have seen soil "cooked" to mitigate weed contamination. Literally in an oven on a cookie sheet or the like spread an inch or two deep at say 225 degrees for 45 minutes or an hour. I don't suggest this due to the cost to fuel the oven, and that while your killing the weeds, your also killing beneficial bacteria in the soil.

As for soil additives to the local soil, Lime is an absolute must for you. I've just located a soil survey for Alaska by the USDA. While I don't know the specifics of your location, and Alaska is friggen huge by any standards, I see in perusing the survey that Alaskan soil tends slightly toward the acidic side with a common PH of between 5 and 6. Ideally, you want the soil for your plants to be more in the 6.2 to 6.8 range. It's not incredibly important that you endeavor to test your soil or even test the ammended soil. But I think you will want to begin to locate some dolomite lime. Fast acting dolomite lime would be better for your purposes, because regular garden lime is typically slower to break down and modify the PH of the soil. It will not take a lot of fast acting lime to alter the PH of your soil to the desired range. So even if you have to order it via Amazon I think we're talking $10 or $15 at the most. About 1/4 to maybe 1/2 cup of lime per 5 gallons of soil should do the trick. If we find (the plants will tell us) that your soil is still a little too acidic after that, we can disolve some lime in the water you use to water your plants to further alter the soil's PH. Ideally, the lime should be 90% or so CaCO3 to be considered fast acting and provide the best results.

Depending on the consistency of the soil you end up with, you may wish to consider adding perlite if you can locate it affordably. If your not familiar with perlite, it's the little white nuggets that look's like stryrofoam beads that you will often see mixed in with ammended soil. It's actually made from expanded volcanic glass, but it aids in avoiding soil compaction. You may not need it at all if the soil you locate tends toward the sandy/loamy side and is easy to dig out.

As you suggest, venting odors isn't a viable option for you. You've mentioned that you live a pretty solitary existance, and I think your best bet would be to mask any smell with an air freshener type solution. There are all kinds of expensive solutions others might be tempted to suggest, but I have seen good reviews of a product called Ona gel, that I have explored only far enough to learn that it's pretty affordable. For just a few plants at a time, the smell won't be overwhelming ever and I wouldn't expect it to be strong enough to need addressing for a couple months.

Getting excited for you brother man. Be well!

Well anyway, in about 24 hours I will be ordering all my stuff! The seeds, the tent, lights, ratchet rope, temp monitor, fan...That's about it for one go.

That's what I'm talking about! Hell, all the enthusiasm here is getting me all fired up. How exciting. :high-five:

Well I came across a new area that I know nothing about and never thought to ask. The actual seed quality. Who am I buying from. I have since gone back and changed some of my seed selections from Nirvana to white label. Would do sensi, but too expensive! Then I here this new term called hermie? Does that have to do with cloning? Well I guess a number of seed suppliers and their strains have been under suspicion of their seeds having multiple occurrences of this.

So now I got these:

White Widow Feminized from white label
Northern Lights Feminized from White Label
Afghan Kush Feminized from World of Seeds because both Sensi and White label only had them in regular.
LSD Feminized from Barney's because only two others carried that strain...Couldn't help it I was interested!
OG Kush from Reserva Pervada because the others only had Regular.

And now the two freebies have been changed for July:

AK-49 Feminized from Visions
White Widow Auto from visions

Now I also need to ask about these regular? Why bother selling them if they are so counterproductive in yield and strength???

Jeff

I have another idea for you, Jeff. It's what I did, and it's one of those choices that has contimnued to look like it was a great plan.

You should get an auto or two. Take a look at Auto Bomb from Bomb Seeds, for instance. It's short, fast and a high yielder, and it has a nice mixed indica/sativa buzz. Autos will just grow. You give 'em light and water and basic nutes, and they jus' grow up.

Say you start one auto, along with two photoperiod. You sprout and veg them all together - the auto will start building up its flowering hormone on its own schedule while the other two veg. When you want to flip them, the auto is already flowering, and she'll finish first so you can get a taste before the others are ready.

As far as regular or fem seeds, regular seeds' genetics haven't been fiddled with as much and can tend to be more reliable. They're less likely to hermie and their phenotypes tend to be less varied. Kinda like a manual or auto transmission, heheh. Yeah, I like the control and feel that a manual has, but I'm jus' fine not having to clutch n shift all the time.

Hermie refers to hermaphrodyte (sp?), which is when a female plant begins to produce male flowers complete with pollen, which then pollenates your entire tent and halts female flower production. It isn't all that common. Most of the the cases I've read came from some mistake in lighting - grow mistakes, not the strain itself. But yeah, some strains and some seed houses are known for hermie problems.

I have another idea for you, Jeff. It's what I did, and it's one of those choices that has contimnued to look like it was a great plan.

You should get an auto or two. Take a look at Auto Bomb from Bomb Seeds, for instance. It's short, fast and a high yielder, and it has a nice mixed indica/sativa buzz. Autos will just grow. You give 'em light and water and basic nutes, and they jus' grow up.

Say you start one auto, along with two photoperiod. You sprout and veg them all together - the auto will start building up its flowering hormone on its own schedule while the other two veg. When you want to flip them, the auto is already flowering, and she'll finish first so you can get a taste before the others are ready.

As far as regular or fem seeds, regular seeds' genetics haven't been fiddled with as much and can tend to be more reliable. They're less likely to hermie and their phenotypes tend to be less varied. Kinda like a manual or auto transmission, heheh. Yeah, I like the control and feel that a manual has, but I'm jus' fine not having to clutch n shift all the time.

Hermie isn't all that common. Most the the cases I've read came from some mistake in lighting - grow mistakes, not the strain itself. But yeah, some strains and some seed houses are known for hermie problems.

So I don't get lesser yields and less quality buds going regular? You just get the seeds with the feminized?

Heck no, quality is the same or better! You just have to fool with males, which means you have to sprout 2-3 seedlings and raise them until flowering - PIA.

The upside, is that regs are a little more stable and you get males to play with for crossing.

If you think about it, fems are kinda like patented hybrids - no males to produce seeds - you only can get crosses.

so should I have gone with all regular? I mean the place I get them from offer them as single seedlings. What your saying is that wouldn't work with regulars, I would need more than one seed of the same strain.

Ok, I'm buzzed and thinking about it ...

I'd get that Auto Bomb, a knock you on your efin' keister medicinal indica, and a short flowering sativa. That'd give you a tase of everything. Three would be perfect for your tent - four, if two of 'em are autos. Actually, maybe an auto sativa. Lowlife's AK47 Auto is well-rated. Ordinarily, sativas take a long time in flower - not a good thing for a first grow - a guy gets impatient.

Get fems where you can. As a first timer, you don't need the hassle of males.

okay, I included an auto bomb, and with that freebie auto white widow, I guess those would be two good starters!

Bank declined uk seed purchase?

Well the order went in to Amazon!!! But....A little hitch with the seeds...My bank declines the transaction.

I used these guysand sage pay does the rest, accept it declines it and trust me, there is more than enough money in the bank. of course no customer service this early in the morning!

Anyone ever see this? Have a problem like this?

Some banks require notification for certain overseas purchases. It's a stop-loss procedure. If you think this may be the case, give the seed company a call/email and ask them under what name they are billing you. Then notify your bank that those guys are cool w/ you. If you don't want to hassle w/ the bank or customer service, getting an international pre-paid visa/gift card will work just as well. It will cost you extra to use the prepaid cards.

Some banks require notification for certain overseas purchases. It's a stop-loss procedure. If you think this may be the case, give the seed company a call/email and ask them under what name they are billing you. Then notify your bank that those guys are cool w/ you. If you don't want to hassle w/ the bank or customer service, getting an international pre-paid visa/gift card will work just as well. It will cost you extra to use the prepaid cards.

Does anyone know of vendors who use PayPal and if that will work? My bank blocks all uk unless I am there. To get a prepaid is tough, Fairbanks 80 miles away. Tried a site online paymaster I think, and they wanted my social security number! Soooo close. I think I am hosed

Not to jynx anything yet...He quickly outmanuevered a flanking movement by finding a sponsor here called Bonza who will do paypal by request. I just needed to tell them paypal email, what I wanted, how to get it there, and where. I just thought about this, I hope there isn't an extra charge for this, I just transferred the cost of the product and shipping!

I got these coming now...hopefully:

Northern Lights Cannabis Seeds

Skywalker OG Kush Feminised Seeds

Auto White Widow - Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Northern Lights #5 X Haze Feminised Cannabis Seeds

I think I got 2 of these freebies: Silver Bubble x LA Confidential Sounds like the Tooth Fairy meets the Law!

Anyway, transfer from my account to paypal takes 3-5 business days, and I let them know that.

Lets wait and see?

Jeff

I like what I'm reading here Jeff. You're getting all the pieces lined up brother!

I woke up to a reply to them after I emailed them the detailed list of seeds and vendors and price in UDS. You know what they asked? "Hi Jeffrey - Could you confirm the amounts of each strain you are wanting?

Thanks,

Customer Support"

You would think they could look at their own website and see that my amounts were correct!!!

Back
Top Bottom