Cozy Home for 1

glitch

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking up some hypothetical plans for a micro grow box. Below is a sketch of the basic layout.

grow_box_front.JPG

The entire grow area would be 3.8 cubic feet

For you metric people:
26" = 66 cm
16" = 40 cm
80CFM = 2.2 cubic meters / minute
3.8 cubic feet = 0.1 cubic meters

The goal is to fit 4 (or more?) plants up until the sex would be determinable. After that the goal is to take one female all the way through her life cycle.

1.) Do you think this would be a big enough space?
2.) Would it be able to maintain proper heat and humidity with such massive air flow in such a small box? The air would be replaced once every 3 seconds.
4.) Are there any special techniques that would allow a female to flourish within such a tight space? Specific pruning techniques, lightcycle changes, or anything else?

Other thoughts:
1.) The box would use an AC adapter to run 2 DC powered 80mm computer case fans. One would be pushing air into the intake pipe from outside of the box. The other would be pulling air out the intake pipe from outside of the box. A potentiometer would make the fan speed adjustable.
2.) To further add to the minimalist nature of this setup, the box would use a single 100W plant spectrum fluorescent bulb (preferably non-compact).
3.) I considered the idea of stacking the plant on top of an ever-shrinking stack of bricks or something in order to keep it right below the light at all times.
4.) The interior of the box would be covered with mylar, except for where fixtures are mounted and air ducting holes are cut per the layout.
5.) The layout assumes a soil-based grow.

Thanks to anyone who has the time to look this over and offer suggestions!

That was actually intentional. I was thinking it would allow the heat from the light to flow through the box before removing it. In that way some heat would be added to the box to keep at a good temperature during the day. Then during the night, when the light is out, there would also be a temperature drop which is necessary for night time anyway. Do you think it would be too hot during the day?

I think Diatron's right - The heat from your light might just stay stuck at the top of the box and never get evacuated properly. Definitely consider having the exhaust at the top... i'm having heat issues myself :)

Do consider a hanging system where you can move your light vertically to bring it as close as possible to your plants to avoid stretch - that will avoid having to mess around with the bricks.

26" high is also pretty tight. I think you would have to flower as soon as possible and train your plants, or go ScroG

Hm. I think scrog is a little too advanced for me at this point in time. It may be best to try a basic micro setup first, even if it means diminished yield.

What if the box were designed to encourage side growth instead of top? Would something like this grow a denser, better yielding plant for this kind of space?

I created this mockup using random images that I searched for :laughtwo:

new_design_mockup.JPG

Box dimensions would be the same as listed in the previous post.
The planter would be a 10" x 10" x 6" Tall square type.
Lights would be 40W 2650 lumen flowering spectrum. The plant would go right into 12/12.
I thought about adding wire mesh to keep the leaves out of the lights.
Due to heat concerns, exhaust would now be on top.

The height between the top of the soil and the ceiling would be around 14"-16". Width between the bulbs would be around 10".

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom