Crack pot

Just an idea...This is an attempt to make something so I can check on my plant's roots. It's an idea I got from Skybound- who tosses around brilliant ideas regularly. In his journal, or somewhere he was pondering the idea of a 'zippered' pot that you could open up. Instead I just cut the sides open with some scissors and plunked the cut pot inside another one. It seals up nicely on the cracks.

image17796.jpg
image17797.jpg
image17798.jpg
image19524.jpg
image19522.jpg

There was some concern that roots might grow through the crack and I'd chop them when I closed the pot again. But so far they've shown no sign of growing into the cracks at all. Also they are effortless to open and close and I haven't disrupted or chopped any roots. Admittedly these particular roots are nothing special to brag about. They might still start going through the cracks when they get thicker, but have shown zero desire to so far.
It does work. Would I do it all the time for all my plants? No, but it's interesting and gives me a good sense of progress and root health. Maybe worth doing for one or two plants in a grow.

My first idea in this vein was to somehow find clear pots that I could use as nursery pots. They would be slipped inside the regular nursery pots for darkness but slide out whenever I want to look at how the roots are doing. Not an original idea of mine- I've seen people use clear solo cups slipped inside regular ones, for example.
Where am I going to find transparent nursery pots? Nowhere of course. I'm looking instead for any nesting clear containers that could work. Then I could paint every second one black, make drain holes in them, and slip the black one over the clear one. But I live in the centre of nowhere and believe it or not I can't find things when I want to. I still think the clear pot idea is the better one, and I'll be more satisfied when I get to do it that way.
If anyone takes this idea and runs with it pm me or something ok?. Just curiosity.

Love this idea, great way to keep an eye on things... To address the roots getting caught at some point, if they bust out when you crack it, you could use a small piece of thin flexible plastic, use it as a shield when you close the pot. Rep +

Back
Top Bottom