DIY fabric grow pots Cannabags made from Eco Felt

Cannafan, you originally said nylon when it should have been polyester thread. MacEFL cleared that up in post #18.

I'm thrilled that you all have found the pots to be holding up well. And thanks for the idea about the craft safety pins. I have lots of them around.

Cannafan, you originally said nylon when it should have been polyester thread. MacEFL cleared that up in post #18.

I'm thrilled that you all have found the pots to be holding up well. And thanks for the idea about the craft safety pins. I have lots of them around.

Ahhh...I thought we had corrected that thread thing at some point. LOL
I have several more of these pots "in progress", but haven't needed them yet. :blalol:

Thank you I was looking for a cheaper alternative for air pruning and this is a cool little project to save $ especially as start up costs are high already. Thank you!!!

Q: about the felt. went to joanns today and what they had seemed quite thin.(is that what you used and hence why you did the bias tape?) did you get your felt from a speciality store? or could you share more specifics about that? thanks so much!

We got ours from a fabric store and it seemed thin to me as well. They were just washed for the 4th time and except they won't release dog hairs and the like it looks like new. The Eco felt Cannafan mentioned I found on line searching "eco felt"

Q: about the felt. went to joanns today and what they had seemed quite thin.(is that what you used and hence why you did the bias tape?) did you get your felt from a speciality store? or could you share more specifics about that? thanks so much!

I know this post is a long time ago, but I did want to let you know that I got the Eco-Felt and JoAnn fabrics. The bias tape, if I remember correctly now, was just to give some stability to the top edge. The Eco-Felt is kind of thinner than you would expect, but it works wonderfully and holds up well for several grows including washing.
I agree with MacEFL on it holding onto stray animal hair. LOL I just take a wide piece of packing tape and wrap it on my hand and "pat" the felt to grab the hairs. (I have cats) Works great. ;-)

Indeed, a penny saved...
btw, cannafan reps for this great diy.

I need to review this. I'm not happy with the way roots grow in the hard shell azalea pots I'm using in my tent and I know I'll get better results with fabric pots. I need about 30-40 for the grow I'm planning at about 1 gal each, so this is much more cost effective than buying Geo pots.

Indeed, a penny saved...
btw, cannafan reps for this great diy.

Thanks Happy Hemper...hope you try them out! :)

I need to review this. I'm not happy with the way roots grow in the hard shell azalea pots I'm using in my tent and I know I'll get better results with fabric pots. I need about 30-40 for the grow I'm planning at about 1 gal each, so this is much more cost effective than buying Geo pots.

Hey Sue, I know you'll be happy with these.
If you need to make up a bunch of them, just do all of your measuring and cutting first...lay them out in steps and then do the pinning, then do the sewing. Kind of like an assembly line. You don't have to do it all in one day. :)
I made ten of them at once one day and getting all the cutting done at once saved me a lot of time.
I think SweetLeef just made a heck of a bunch of them too. I'll check to be sure.
TTYL! :)

Great idea Canna. I want to make them deeper than you can get purchasing. I have a theory that the same volume of soil standing taller will give you a bigger, happier, healthier plant. Also, I want to be able to still do 10 plants per tray with more soil volume per plant than I'm using now, without sacrificing real estate. Comprende?

I think I'm going to hand sew them Canna. I find hand sewing to be therapeutic, and I can help heal myself one pot at a time. One of Dale's many talents was leather-working and I may use his tools and needles in honor of him. I need ten to start. The chances of me getting to a JoAnn Fabrics is next to null, so let me check on line.

I know I've said this before Canna, but thank you for this wonderful thread. You inspire me to be a better MOTM. :love:

Sue you will want to search for "Eco-fi" felt if you want to use the recycle product as "Eco Felt" is a wool product with no post-processing or dyes. However, I have found some sources that refer to the recycled product as Eco Felt too so I reckon it means read the fine print :thedoubletake:

Thank you HH.

Sue you will want to search for "Eco-fi" felt if you want to use the recycle product as "Eco Felt" is a wool product with no post-processing or dyes. However, I have found some sources that refer to the recycled product as Eco Felt too so I reckon it means read the fine print :thedoubletake:

My how things change when competition starts entering the market. LOL When I originally bought mine, it was pretty much the only thing I found online or otherwise. Next time I buy some yardage (which will be soon) I'll be sure the check that.
Thanks Happy Hemper!

:circle-of-love:

I think I'm going to hand sew them Canna. I find hand sewing to be therapeutic, and I can help heal myself one pot at a time. One of Dale's many talents was leather-working and I may use his tools and needles in honor of him. I need ten to start. The chances of me getting to a JoAnn Fabrics is next to null, so let me check on line.

I know I've said this before Canna, but thank you for this wonderful thread. You inspire me to be a better MOTM. :love:

Thanks Sue. :)

I don't see any problem with making them taller. If you notice the pic at the beginning of the thread, I made one tall and one shorter. Both worked just fine. ;-)

Have fun, and I hope you get great therapy from the hand sewing.

:circle-of-love:

Yes, you can use any felt. I couldn't find the Eco-Felt either and didn't want to wait to order it. Not currently growing but they went through 5 or so wash cycles and still as new.

Cannabags done - cant wait to use :cheesygrinsmiley:

20150712_194927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom