Crispy & breaking bottom leaves of young plant?

ptk2k

hey all, i’ve got a Master Kush lady who’s between 2-3 weeks old right now, and her bottom leaves are becoming very brittle and breaking

she’s in FFOF soil (+20-30% perlite) and under a 600w apollo LED, room fluctuates between 80-90F.

shes just been getting distilled tap water because i read that FFOF provides a good amount of nutrients for the first few weeks. i’ve only had to water her 3 times so far.

aside from that, the new leaves are showing some very bright tips, what could this be?

thanks in advance! :blunt:

498C8D77-48C9-4F51-87FD-B7A7FF24C572.jpeg
5EDC1D3B-E445-4F43-B399-6FF6A4CD47DD.jpeg
B9DDC719-279F-463D-BBE8-32FEA3AE029F.jpeg
4D200ED7-B1EC-4C97-A374-2F9439CE193F.jpeg

It looked like pests until that last pic. Definite overfeeding, she is very dark and burnt tips on newer growth. She should grow out of it soon but in the mean time I would flush really well on your next watering. It's not gonna strip the soil like it would coco but should help relieve some of the burning.
Also 80-90 is relatively high especially without significant humidity (over 70%). Shes probably drinking like crazy and thus taking up more nutes than she needs. Try to lower it to under 82, ideally 78 and get humidity to 60 if possible.
Keep an eye on pests. The black dots worry me tho to be fair I havent really dealt with pests that much, just PM and bud rot. Someone else may be able to help. It could be from the overfeeding but I dont think so.

It looked like pests until that last pic. Definite overfeeding, she is very dark and burnt tips on newer growth. She should grow out of it soon but in the mean time I would flush really well on your next watering. It's not gonna strip the soil like it would coco but should help relieve some of the burning.
Also 80-90 is relatively high especially without significant humidity (over 70%). Shes probably drinking like crazy and thus taking up more nutes than she needs. Try to lower it to under 82, ideally 78 and get humidity to 60 if possible.
Keep an eye on pests. The black dots worry me tho to be fair I havent really dealt with pests that much, just PM and bud rot. Someone else may be able to help. It could be from the overfeeding but I dont think so.

i’ve been on the look out for pests, haven’t seen any. she’s gotten two neem treatments already in her short life so i really doubt that it’s bugs. the soil hasn’t been drying out for about a week at a time so i’ve holding back in order to not overwater. and like i said, i haven’t used any nutes yet. so you think she’s just over feeding herself?

Yea, with the high temps. When I ran soil, I started in a soil with very light nutes for this reason. When I would transplant, I would do so into the "full nute" soil. The only Miracle gro product I've ever used is their seedling starter and it's actually pretty good for this. Having said that, plenty of people start in normal soil, or grow autos where they don't transplant at all so I knowit's possible. Maybe shes just a nute sensitive strain.

yes, that's a decent range. The most important thing is maintaining the correct vpd value. I'll attach a chart for reference. The sweet spot imo is 78 degrees without co2 and 82-85 with co2. Technically with co2 its actually a bit higher but you run a risk if any part of your cooling systems fails, so I dont go into the 90s but I know people that do.
For example, I am currently running 78 degrees and 72% humidity. When I add co2 in the next week, I will increase to 82 degrees with 75%.

vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom