Curing jar idea

panel350

Hi All,in a resent post I made I said I was going away on holiday ,and I want to have my buds curing ,as you have to let fresh air into the jar every day ,can't do that ,well I put my thinking cap on and came up with this for the curing jars when I'm away.I do brewing so used one of my air locks and added an IN hose with a non return valve then attached that to my air brush compressor which I will put a timer on and set it for 5 minutes a day .What do you think??? Open to any other ideas.
Cheers Kev

Attachments

• curing jar 001.JPG
    curing jar 001.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 32
Interesting...

I assume you'll be leaving before the moisture content of your buds drops to the point where the jars can be sealed for the duration. Otherwise, there's no point in this thing. I suppose it should work in theory. I also suppose you've got a water separator on that air line, and therefore will not be forcing moisture into your jar. I don't think you'll need to run your compressor for five minutes at a time - you might be better served by a few short (seconds) blasts per day instead of one relatively lengthy one. But that is only a guess that I arrived at when I mentally compared the "semi-passive" act of leaving the lid off for a few minutes versus an active "forced-air" approach. Feel free to air on the side of caution, lol, because dried-too-quickly-and-forever-uncured bud is still exponentially easier to consume than moldy bud is.

But it'd be nice if you could somehow add a moisture / humidity sensor to your setup, and use IT (via relay, I suppose) to determine if/when your compressor runs. Because the usual process is "buds equalize their moisture content, person opens jar to allow air to dehumidify slightly and, perhaps, the outermost portion of the buds to become a little too dry, person reseals jar, buds again equalize their moisture content, rinse/lather/repeat until overall bud moisture content is acceptable for long term storage." If you could add a sensor, you might be able to determine that "buds have been allowed to equalize their moisture content but this process has failed to push humidity of jar up past activation point," and then your compressor no longer runs because its task has been accomplished. Without this thing, though, it'll just continue its daily(?) cycle until you return, manually shut it down, and hope that your buds haven't dried past the point of being able to support the biological process that we refer to as curing.

I'm just rambling. It beats trying to sleep ;) .

Please keep us updated with any changes / upgrades to your setup, and let us know how well it ended up working for you. And good luck!

Interesting...

I assume you'll be leaving before the moisture content of your buds drops to the point where the jars can be sealed for the duration. Otherwise, there's no point in this thing. I suppose it should work in theory. I also suppose you've got a water separator on that air line, and therefore will not be forcing moisture into your jar. I don't think you'll need to run your compressor for five minutes at a time - you might be better served by a few short (seconds) blasts per day instead of one relatively lengthy one. But that is only a guess that I arrived at when I mentally compared the "semi-passive" act of leaving the lid off for a few minutes versus an active "forced-air" approach. Feel free to air on the side of caution, lol, because dried-too-quickly-and-forever-uncured bud is still exponentially easier to consume than moldy bud is.

But it'd be nice if you could somehow add a moisture / humidity sensor to your setup, and use IT (via relay, I suppose) to determine if/when your compressor runs. Because the usual process is "buds equalize their moisture content, person opens jar to allow air to dehumidify slightly and, perhaps, the outermost portion of the buds to become a little too dry, person reseals jar, buds again equalize their moisture content, rinse/lather/repeat until overall bud moisture content is acceptable for long term storage." If you could add a sensor, you might be able to determine that "buds have been allowed to equalize their moisture content but this process has failed to push humidity of jar up past activation point," and then your compressor no longer runs because its task has been accomplished. Without this thing, though, it'll just continue its daily(?) cycle until you return, manually shut it down, and hope that your buds haven't dried past the point of being able to support the biological process that we refer to as curing.

I'm just rambling. It beats trying to sleep ;) .

Please keep us updated with any changes / upgrades to your setup, and let us know how well it ended up working for you. And good luck!
Hi mate thanks for your input ,this is my first proper grow and have read about curing and realized I had a problem so had to find a "possible" solution .Sounds like there is a bit more involved in the curing process .
Yes there is a good water trap on the compressor so there will be no moisture getting into the jar.
Cheers Kev

So you are pumping air in. How does it get out? Don’t you need a release valve?
Hi yes ,the plastic piece on the top is an air lock the has a small amount of water in it ,so all pressure is released and the jar is sealed .
Cheers Kev

How many jars do you foresee? You could also put them in a larger container (cooler/eskey) and there is more air volume/less humidity differential.

:goodluck:
Hi mate ,sorry I have no idea at the moment ,will find out once it's all dried out in about 3 weeks .I have just today started the flush .
Cheers Kev

Back
Top Bottom