Curly leaves: could it be rootbind, or overwatering?

stikeegrnlf

What's up everyone?
I've run into some slight problems with one of my plants since I put it into flowering last week. Some of the leaves have been curling downward at the tips, and some are completely curled up. They feel dry, even though the soil is saturated. There are no spots, or other signs of necrosis, and the color of the leaves has not changed. Despite this, the budding has not been affected. My setup is three, 150 watt CFL's, in a pot that holds about 35-40 lbs of soil. I recently transplanted the plant, after I noticed the symptoms, and think it could be due to either rootbind, overwatering, or over-fertilization. I was using MG plant nutes for vegging, and have since switched to MG blooming nutes last week. I am pretty sure my plant will live, but was wondering what I could do to not make this any worse? Everything I found on-line for these symptoms point to the three causes I listed already, but doesn't state which it could be. If any of you have experienced this with your plants, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks everyone.

rootbind1.JPG

rootbind2.JPG

You indeed have a nute deficentcy.(limpy leaves, burnt ends)
You do need to check the ph and flush as necessary. Just don't flush the same week as the trans plant if you can help it.(Superthrive helps with transplant shock) Remember, a lot of the effected leaves might die as a result so watch the new growth and remove yellowed leaves as necessary.

thats to both. Pretty much everything I read pointed to water imbalance for these symptoms, but I'll take your word for it. So if I have a deficiency, how will flushing help? wouldn't that remove nutrients?

ps. I already removed some of the bottom leaves that turned yellow. It seems these symptoms showed up when I put it into flowering-should I resume the nutes for flowering after I flush?

stikeegrnlf said:
no, i didn't think of that. thanks for the suggestion. has this happened to your plants before?

LOL..:laughtwo: Hon, in the learning process, I've killed plants every way you can think of short of dropping the lights on them. (I'm sure that's next.. sigh) Heck, I've even killed a chia-pet! Learned a valuable lesson about over-watering though...:allgood:

Here's what I've done.

Check the soil ph, then mix up a 1/2 strength nute solution and adjust the PH of the nutes as needed to correct the soil ph. Only give it like a couple of quarts or less of the solution . Then "rinse" the soil with plain water just until it starts running out of the bottom of the pot. Sorta like flushing the nutrients into to the soil...

I am sorry if I did not explain myself properly. I meant check your ph. If it is too low or too high that would be when you flush cause of the nute lock. You want the ph at 7.0. A flush is sometimes necessary to remove salt build up caused by adding nutes. Only flush when its necessary, it does cause stress to the plant.
After a flush you let the soil dry til the edges of the soil crack away from the pot you water with a fresh nute solution. You also said you trans plant so you don't want to flush in the same week( too much stress). You normally don't want to transplant in the flowerstage because of stress. Best to transplant in the veg stage.
I do not know what you mean by water imbalance but if you mean that you water too much I would say yes, Thats where most of the limp came from.
As for the burnt tips and that could be the lockout. Its a good color plant so I do not believe that the plant is overfertilized. I hope this was a better explanation than what I said earlier.
Remember only flush when its necessary, this is not a marshy swampy like plant so be careful of overwatering too.

stikeegrnlf said:
thats to both. Pretty much everything I read pointed to water imbalance for these symptoms, but I'll take your word for it. So if I have a deficiency, how will flushing help? wouldn't that remove nutrients?

ps. I already removed some of the bottom leaves that turned yellow. It seems these symptoms showed up when I put it into flowering-should I resume the nutes for flowering after I flush?

Just keep us posted dude. I want to see how your plants turn out.
Besides your minor setback with this problem, You plant looks good.

Back
Top Bottom