DEA, IRS Give Local Police 'Holiday Gift' From Confiscated Drug Money

420 Warrior

OAKLAND -- Federal agents issued the ultimate stocking stuffer Thursday when they gave more than $1.2 million in drug money confiscated from a former Hayward medical marijuana store to five Bay Area police agencies.

Drug Enforcement Administration and the Internal Revenue Service agents announced the distribution of the money from the U.S. Department of Treasury Asset Forfeiture Fund at the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building in downtown Oakland.

"The assets forfeiture program is one of the federal government's most effective tools against drug trafficking, money laundering and organized crime," said Scott O'Briant, IRS criminal investigations special agent in charge. "The program disrupts and dismantles criminal enterprises by seizing their assets" and then distributes those resources to local law enforcement to help fight crime.

"This is a true holiday gift," said Hayward police Chief Diane Urban, whose department received nearly $475,000, the largest payment. "It will allow us to offer a higher level of service to our community and to combat crime with funds during tough economic times."

The Southern Alameda County Narcotics Enforcement Team, which includes Newark, Union City and Fremont officers, also received almost $475,000. Police departments in Livermore, Vallejo and South San Francisco each received nearly $95,000.

The various cash amounts are based on each agency's participation in an investigation, and the funds can only be used for law enforcement, said Bob Cooke, special agent in charge at the state Department of Justice Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement.

Authorities said these particular funds were seized from a Hayward drug investigation that began five years ago, when a federal search warrant was served at Local Patients Cooperative, a medical marijuana store that opened in 2003.

Two Hayward residents -- owner Shon Matthew Squier and store manager Valerie Lynn Herschel -- were arrested, and agents seized indoor marijuana grows, hundreds of pot plants, processed marijuana, two residences and a number of vehicles, O'Briant said.

Squier, 39, later pleaded guilty to maintaining a drug-involved premises and money laundering, authorities said. He was sentenced to 30 months in prison and ordered to forfeit real estate, weapons and cash from bank accounts totaling nearly $1.9 million, federal agents said.

Herschel, 28, pleaded guilty to maintaining a drug-involved premises and was sentenced to five years of probation and ordered to forfeit a Hayward home, police said.

"The outcome of this investigation is a perfect example of cooperation between state, local and federal agencies working toward taking major suppliers off the street," Newark police Chief James Leal said.

m_5_.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Oakland Tribune
Author: Chris De Benedetti
Copyright: copyright@medianewsgroup.com

I wonder if this will sway the local police department's loyalty? (sarc)

Why care about local laws and norms when the Feds bribe you with billions to not care.

Nothing more than legalized plunder.

California legislators should pass a law to prohibit this sort of perversion. What's next, losing your car for a speeding ticket?

smh...people cant see the truth. weed is illegal and the black market grows, dealers, weed growers and they get the big bucks. the result is DEA looking for these people to stop that because they do not want these easy money people to have them. but of course the DEA gets THAT money for themselves....makes you think, who is actually doing the crime here? the DEA, getting also the easy money by getting it from them. thats gotta be the most perect crime ever. smh... this is the result of war on drugs, the prohibition, it benefits the goverment with easy money. so of course it benefits them! thats all they really care for.

smh...people cant see the truth. weed is illegal and the black market grows, dealers, weed growers and they get the big bucks. the result is DEA looking for these people to stop that because they do not want these easy money people to have them. but of course the DEA gets THAT money for themselves....makes you think, who is actually doing the crime here? the DEA, getting also the easy money by getting it from them. thats gotta be the most perect crime ever. smh... this is the result of war on drugs, the prohibition, it benefits the goverment with easy money. so of course it benefits them! thats all they really care for.

Meanwhile...Tens of thousands of kids are displaced into the Foster Care program each year because tens of thousands of parents are going to prison for non-violent, noninvasive crimes which hurt absolutely NO ONE!!!

All I can say is;
safe_image_1_.jpg

Exactly! Why doesnt that money go back to the community it was taken from? Why not schools and programs to keep people off drugs? Giving it to police will just encourage more arrests and turn us into a police state. People dont realize, this has been going on for a while. Drug dealers make money, cops take it and divy it out to whoever follows the program. Pot arrests are #1 because it pays their bills,the other hard drugs are harder to catch and prosecute. You cant walk around saying " i smelled coke" and kick in doors,like you can marijuana

I like what Corners had to say about giving it back to the community. I'm sorry I just don't see how giving it to the police helps anything. But maybe that is because of the one time when police caught me with half a blunt in my car, had the nerve to tell me he smoked better sh*t than mine. I just believe that whatever police takes from dispensaries or busts don't ALL go into lock up but into their pockets.

The fact that they (our police employees, "yes cops are our employees") can take your assets by law is a major reason why Mj is illegal! A police force is nothing more than a highly organized, financially fluid, politically empowered machine. The only thing that can turn the machine off is to take away what fuels it and unfortunately the fuel for this machine is greed. Historically the only thing that has ever conquered greed was war and it was obviously one sided. The greed was never removed, just transferred from one power to another.

well, here we go again...those famous six words "it's ALWAYS all about the money". hmmm! my gang's bigger than u're gang, so i'll take what u have...&, btw, u better keep paying u're protection money (taxes), so we'll have plenty of money to be able to, uh, take what u've got. does this make sense to anybody???

Back
Top Bottom