Defoliation with Auto Flowering plants

Jesstar

Hi guys,

Jut wondering is this is a thing? If so, when do people recommend doing it?
My Purple Auto has a few big fans covering a few of the lower bud spots. I tried tucking them out of the way but they keep flopping back out..

Would it be better to:
a) Defol where needed to keep light getting in?
b) Lollypop her?
c) Nothing, smoke a billy and let her be?

Thanks for any advice. Also feel free to pop over to my journo and have a squiz. :)

Peace Friends.
:420:

-J.

Re: Defol / Defoliation with Auto Flowering plants

I have only done a few indoor auto grows, so take this advise with some hesitation. I lightly defoliate, mainly to allow light penetration. I tuck fan leaves rather than cut them when I can, and once flowering is well established I trim out any lower branches that are not going to reach high enough into the canopy to produce viable buds. Hope this helps!

Re: Defol / Defoliation with Auto Flowering plants

Here's my Auto Purple at day 40, you can see where I took this node of leaves off because they were intent on stroking the globes..

IMAG0754_1.jpg

This is where I could get away with crimping them so they'd stay down.

IMAG0755_1.jpg

I'm considering taking this annoying little shoot off(and maybe trying to clone it.. :p ) so I can get better LP and so the plant can focus on the more important areas of growth. What are people's thoughts on this plan?

IMAG0756_1.jpg

Any advice welcomed. ;)

-J.

IMHO, that shoot would make a good clone, other than that I would not mess with that plant too much. It looks like it may be stunted for whatever reason, and it appears to be going into full bloom, so it is probably not going to branch out much more. Take the clone and see if you can go to the next level with it.

Sadly I think I've left my run too late on that one.. The little shoot is budding up as much as it can and I dont think there's point taking it to clone now as I don't think you can re-veg autos.
I'll post an update on her and I'll try get the angles the same so we can compare growth. :)

Feel free to drop into my journal and post some feedback there as well, Bangabong.

-J.

Hi guys,

My Purple Auto has a few big fans covering a few of the lower bud spots. I tried tucking them out of the way but they keep flopping back out..

Would it be better to:
b) Lollypop her?

Thanks for any advice. Also feel free to pop over to my journo and have a squiz. :)

Peace Friends.

-J.

Everything I've read says to NOT defol autos. I have two growing now, and have just let them have their own way. Tough decision. I seriously want to take the clippers to them for better light penetration. Take a look at my journal and you'll see what I mean. Jump to the last page for a summery and pics if you just want a quick look. Just updated today.

Yes autos can be rather touchy if you trim too much at one time, at least from my experience with them, but you can safely trim out a few leafs or just prune a few blades in order to let light penetration. I usually do some branch tying in order to spread them out and get more viable buds.

couple of leaves is fine,to much stress and she will be a bust

if you manage to clone a auto,call the news media,ive yet to see it successful, yet,they usually stay into flower ,because they only have a short one time life

she looks good

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.
After my research I totally agree with everything said. Defol on auto's is 'as a rule' a no-go however if it's really necessary then you can get away with little bits here and there. I have done a leaf or two a day and :)wood:) haven't had any problems. On my photo Chocolope however; defol, HST and other forms of punishment are allowed.. ;)

Feel free to check out my journo if you want to see what I'm on about. Peace 'erb Lovers.

-J.

That's one of those little compromises you have to make if you want to grow auto-flowering cannabis plants. You're not going to enjoy the same level of control you get with photo-period plants. You won't get the yield of photo-period either, but if you're looking for the quickest, simplest grow, then you really can't go wrong with an auto.

But yeah, as far as cloning goes, auto-flowering cannabis plants are not capable of cloning. At least not in any truly beneficial way.

As far as defoliation goes with autos, and with the Fast & Vast Auto strain in particular: LEAVE THEM ALONE! That's my suggestion and the reason is because with the F&V auto strain almost the entire plant is viable for smoking. You'll see some of the most frosty plants you've ever seen, and as a result they take FOREVER to dry and cure (3 weeks minimum) but well worth the wait.

no side branches = poor lightning. start with a proper led or HPS light setup. all this defoliation and other stuff is for more or less experienced users who have all things figured out.

Hi guys,

Would it be better to:
b) Lollypop her?

Peace Friends.

-J.

IMO you should not take off any leaves. Autos do not produce so many and are not able to replace them.
She is in flowering now, why don't you lst the leaves instead?
Light metal band and it should be done easily!

in both cases, let us know!

PS: She looks beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom