Desert Hot Springs Planners Deadlock On Pot Question

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Desert Hot Springs City Council will get no help from a Planning Commission recommendation when it weighs whether to ban medical marijuana dispensaries next month.

The commission tied 2-2 Monday on the contentious issue. Chairman John Gerardi, the tie-breaking vote, did not attend the meeting.

Gerardi had a scheduling conflict, City Manager Rick Daniels said. The commission regularly meets Tuesdays but met Monday because of last week's Veterans Day holiday.

A city moratorium on dispensaries will expire Feb. 7.

A city draft ordinance regulating medical marijuana would prohibit for-profit storefront dispensaries and allow for one cooperative or collective in a light-industrial-zone district.

Desert Hot Springs Police Chief Patrick Williams told the commission he opposed allowing medical marijuana cooperatives or collectives, arguing the city's already limited police force would be stretched even more to patrol the operation.

Commissioners Tom Gustafson and Gabriel King agreed.

“Our city has just so much money, just so many police officers,” King said, noting that nearby Palm Springs is crafting an ordinance that would regulate dispensaries.

“As long as it's available 6 miles away, why burden our overburdened Police Department?” King said.

Commissioners John Aguilar and Ron Stewart disagreed. “I don't believe it's my place to tell somebody what works for their health,” Stewart said.

Aguilar said he has reviewed studies where proper regulation curbed crime and other negative impacts that could stem from dispensaries.

He added that it was important to provide local access to medical marijuana for disabled people with chronic illness.

The City Council opted during a special meeting last week to have the commission weigh the issue.

“I think it's hilarious that it came back to you guys this way,” Gustafson told City Councilman Karl Baker after Monday's meeting.

Several residents spoke at the meeting, including Rita Lewis.

“I do know medical marijuana helps many people,” she told the commission. Lewis believed a nonprofit cooperative “would be the way to go.”

Besides, Lewis added, “people smoke marijuana all over the city.”

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: MyDesert.com
Author: Marcel Honoré
Copyright: 2008 MyDesert.com
Website: Desert Hot Springs planners deadlock on pot question

Back
Top Bottom