Commission Next Stop For Desert Hot Springs Pot Question

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Desert Hot Springs City Council voted Monday to have the Planning Commission weigh a ban on medical marijuana facilities at a meeting next week rather than make an immediate decision.

The council's 5-0 vote sends the Planning Commission two draft ordinances for consideration at its Nov. 17 meeting: One would prohibit medical marijuana dispensaries and the other would regulate the outlets.

The city draft ordinance regulating medical marijuana would prohibit for-profit storefront dispensaries, and allow only for cooperatives or collectives in light-industrial zone districts.

The council is expected to consider the commission's recommendation during its Dec.16 meeting.

Mayor Yvonne Parks said she is “still undecided” on the matter after the meeting. “I won't divulge my leanings — I may change my mind.”

Councilman Karl Baker supports an ordinance that would permit cooperatives or collectives.

“There are people who do need help from medical marijuana, and if we can possibly support that, I would like to see us do it,” he said.

For Monday's special meeting, the council was provided with 2008 report to the California Chiefs of Police Association that cited various news reports on crimes related to marijuana possession.

Several, but not all, of the articles dealt with medical marijuana. Baker told Desert Hot Springs Police Chief Patrick Williams the articles could have cited 7-Eleven convenience stores and shown the same crime statistics.

The ordinance that would regulate medical marijuana stipulates that facilities could not be within a 1,000-foot radius of churches, temples, schools, playgrounds or day care facilities.

Baker said those restrictions would make it incredibly difficult to open a facility in Desert Hot Springs — unless the city succeeds in annexing the industrial area to its southeast.

The council had considered whether to ban the dispensaries during an Oct. 28 meeting, but it decided to delay action and was expected to reach a decision at Monday's meeting.

A city moratorium on dispensaries will expire Feb. 7, 2009.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: MyDesert.com
Author: Marcel Honoré
Copyright: 2008 MyDesert.com
Website: Commission next stop for Desert Hot Springs pot question

Back
Top Bottom