Different effect from same oil: gummies vs. pure

steffgrowsweed

Hi and good morning ☀️
I have made an oven infused coconut oil (fractionated) enriched with some sunflower lecithin. The strength of the oil I calculated to be at around 10mg/ml. I have tried the oil in form of gummi bears (5mg dose) and tried the oil pure, also 5mg dose. Both times, they lead to different effects in how I feel. The gummi bears cause a relaxed feeling, help with stomach cramps but make you want to stay on the couch, whereas the pure consuming of the oil makes you active and creative, almost buzzing through the house. Since this now happened several times, it must be more than just a coincidence. So I am wondering if anyone has an explanation for this and if this has happened to anyone? I have some assumptions, but I'm not sure, like, does the addition of sugar (lots of sugar in gummis) add to the high? Does the slight reheating of the gummi fluid activate something else? Thanks and have a good day

My guess would be that you are further decarbing the oil when making the gummies as you have suggested. The addition of sugar and other ingredients may also change the way your body metabolizes the oil. Did you decarb the flower prior to infusing the oil? What was your process and temps? What was the temp of making the gummies? How much more time did it take. Also, which variety did you use to make the oil. Does it have a decent amount of CBD? It may be possible that the gummies have less THC which has been overly decarbed and activated other cannabinoids present in the strain you used.

My guess would be that you are further decarbing the oil when making the gummies as you have suggested. The addition of sugar and other ingredients may also change the way your body metabolizes the oil. Did you decarb the flower prior to infusing the oil? What was your process and temps? What was the temp of making the gummies? How much more time did it take. Also, which variety did you use to make the oil. Does it have a decent amount of CBD? It may be possible that the gummies have less THC which has been overly decarbed and activated other cannabinoids present in the strain you used.
I decarbed the buds beforehand, following Amy Gardners thread with rec. THC temp I then infused the oil for 7 hours in the oven, same thread I followed. It even went into an oil bath after, to double check I was close to complete decarb. The temp of making the gummies would not have reached the range of any decarb to happen, it was only warm to dissolve, but I didn't measure temps. I used Blue Dream (low and slow dried in the fridge for more gentle conservation of all the good things) & a Girl Scout Cookies. Both don't have a lot if any CBD.

Interesting Saturday morning thoughts, thank you :) My current bet is the sugar... Edit: A thought that came to mind, just there now, since coconut oil will go to the liver fast, maybe the sugar in the liver has anything to do with it? Mmh...

Hmmmm...interesting difference to think about. I'm not sure then because you are right, those are high thc strains with minimal CBD.

Something else to consider. When you made the gummies, was your oil settled when you used it or did you agitate it before pulling the oil for your recipe?

The oil had a little sediment (?) at the bottom, so I gave it a gentle swirl before using in the recipe.
I feel like Sherlock Holmes this morning...I'm trying to figure this out. I have had similar instances of different highs off the same oil. I use it in so many ways, that I never really thought about it. Now it has me wondering which foods can alter the compounds and how it works to produce different highs. What are the medical implications for people looking for a specific feeling. I don't know...I'm baked and rambling while I watch the omelet burn...gotta go!

I feel like Sherlock Holmes this morning...I'm trying to figure this out. I have had similar instances of different highs off the same oil. I use it in so many ways, that I never really thought about it. Now it has me wondering which foods can alter the compounds and how it works to produce different highs. What are the medical implications for people looking for a specific feeling. I don't know...I'm baked and rambling while I watch the omelet burn...gotta go!
Same same here on my end of the world haha it is so fulfilling and fun. Have a good one and enjoy your omelet :)

Good day Cannacap4U2. Seems my celebration of the New Year blinded me to your enquiries. Lol! Sorry, let’s see what we can help you with. :hug:

At 10 grams of bud to ~4 oz of carrier oil your recipe is more potent than my own 1:1 a gram of bud for every ounce of oil. I agree, they should have been more potent.

Were the buds decarbed before you added them to the oil? .....yes, I see they were. May I ask, what formula are you using for decarb? Curious..... any time in decarb should have added to the potency if you cooked it all night.

I’ve experienced that the fats used in whatever chocolate concoction we infused with cannabis seem to be more potent with chocolate than in capsule form. I’m not sure why this is, but it’s been a consistent experience, and explains my choice of brownies (no straining the plant material out, so 100% extraction rate Lol!) and chocolates. The honey fudge chocolates hit me much faster and deeper than the oil on its own. Brownies carry the euphoria further than capsules.

A mystery of absorption to explore. :battingeyelashes:

The easiest method we’ve found so far uses an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Other than that, I’m hot on the trail for a good picture tutorial for making oil in a crock pot, so something’ll pop up soon.

Are you using liquid sunflower lecithin? Most here use 1 tablespoon to a cup of infused oil. Whatever’s going on with your potency lecithin will make it more bioavailable, which essentially makes it more potent.
Just adding this here as a mental note. Chocolate is high in sugar as well, so are the gummies...

As far as I know, CBD gummies don't necessarily result in that "high" effect like THC. Instead, it adds calm and relaxation and I think that's what pushes you to stay in bed all day. I've been using CBD crystals which I found out about on What Are CBD Crystals? and I've never felt powerless. Instead, I've been feeling very good and energetic lately. I'm not sure about the effect of adding extra sugar to the gummies but what I know for sure is that heat somehow "destroys" the effectiveness of CBD since it evaporates and breaks down CBD particles. CBD crystals, however, are the purest form of CBD available on the markets.
cbd crystals?
didn't try this...

Back
Top Bottom