Discoloration

Nodes1

Hello all. My ladies just hit week 5. They have all been doing great. This morning I noticed this discoloration on one of them and was wondering what are the common culprits for it.
Medium: Soil
temp
lights on:gradually increases to 75
Lights off: 64ish had 1 cold night of 55
Water ph: 6 every time
Tds: 836ppm on my last feeding
I have 9 quantum boards
6 girls in flower
Water/feed every 3-4 days when thirsty.
Use house of garden nutes
Ro water
this particular plant is in a 15ish gallon pot
On a 12” riser
Manyyyyyy holes drilled In the pot
Used molasses 1tbsp (for the first time) the day before the discoloration appeared.

E75BFA17-BD4B-4F93-8746-0ED4855ECACA.jpeg

C5BD5E65-D177-4FF3-9ECA-4645824BCE4C.jpeg

3C4CB044-E7E1-4951-AA45-241FCABF8054.jpeg

Hiya nodes1
Two things that stand out in your info.
Your lights off temps are a little low. That with it getting down in the 50's for one night will bring out the purple coloring in the leaves.
Some growers do this on purpose in late flower for colour.
Me personally, I don't let my light off temps get below 70°f.

The other thing is your ph, but this depends on what your soil is made from?
If it is a conventional soil then your ph will be better around 6.3.

Hello all. My ladies just hit week 5. They have all been doing great. This morning I noticed this discoloration on one of them and was wondering what are the common culprits for it.
temp
I have 9 quantum boards
6 girls in flower
Ro water
On a 12” riser
Used molasses 1tbsp (for the first time) the day before the discoloration appeared.

I believe she's hungry for pk

Hiya nodes1
Two things that stand out in your info.
Your lights off temps are a little low. That with it getting down in the 50's for one night will bring out the purple coloring in the leaves.
Some growers do this on purpose in late flower for colour.
Me personally, I don't let my light off temps get below 70°f.

The other thing is your ph, but this depends on what your soil is made from?
If it is a conventional soil then your ph will be better around 6.3.
I’m trying to bring out the purple in them with the cold temps. But I’m definitely not intentionally trying to make it to cold. My goal is to have it go from 75 lights on to 65 lights off. I’ve noticed that if I ph to 6 my run off is usually around 6.5.

I’ve noticed that if I ph to 6 my run off is usually around 6.5.
Don't chase runoff from soil grows, it will drive you crazy and accomplish little or nothing. PH the water going in after calmag and nutes (as you are) that's the important measurement ,

temp
I have 9 quantum boards
6 girls in flower
Ro water
On a 12” riser

Looks kinda normal.for the genetic she is dark purple stems.almost fades out into the fans fall colors she is pretty

Looks kinda normal.for the genetic she is dark purple stems.almost fades out into the fans fall colors she is pretty
The one in the picture is Guicy Banger. Bred from “the Guice” x “GG#4”.
I have another strain Chocolate Marshmallows. Bred from “chocolate chip mint” and “GG#4”.
Both of them have purple stems and stalks.
I have 6 other strains as well and they are all purple. I thought at first it was a deficiency or a toxicity. I’ve tried cutting back and hitting them hard. Doesn’t seem to change the color. I’m thinking the temps are causing them to turn purple.

The one in the picture is Guicy Banger. Bred from “the Guice” x “GG#4”.
I have another strain Chocolate Marshmallows. Bred from “chocolate chip mint” and “GG#4”.
Both of them have purple stems and stalks.
I have 6 other strains as well and they are all purple. I thought at first it was a deficiency or a toxicity. I’ve tried cutting back and hitting them hard. Doesn’t seem to change the color. I’m thinking the temps are causing them to turn purple.
Yeap cool weather will bring out pretty colors u have a sweet crop going gorgeous plants

Don't chase runoff from soil grows, it will drive you crazy and accomplish little or nothing. PH the water going in after calmag and nutes (as you are) that's the important measurement ,
why do you say that? My ph is usually .5 higher on my run off vs going in. I keep a log book and enter data each time I do anything. I have been doing that for many runs now and it proves to be very effective at fixing deficiencies/errors. I monitor my EC as well to make sure there isn’t a lock out. This strain has had me on my toes the last two runs. But I want to understand why you say don’t check you run off pH? I also do the test where you mix water and soil to find the soils ph. It’s usually the same +\- .01. That’s a drift of .03. Good enough for me.

Yeap cool weather will bring out pretty colors u have a sweet crop going gorgeous plants
Thanks dude. It’s my second run on these and I’ve more than doubled their size this time and the cool temps are making them look super cool.

Last run was in two tents and heat was a problem. Now I’m in a spare room/closet and I can use the house ac to crank it down.

Thanks dude. It’s my second run on these and I’ve more than doubled their size this time and the cool temps are making them look super cool.

Last run was in two tents and heat was a problem. Now I’m in a spare room/closet and I can use the house ac to crank it down.
The cool temps will also make ur nuggs rock hard u be smokeing the best

why do you say that? My ph is usually .5 higher on my run off vs going in. I keep a log book and enter data each time I do anything. I have been doing that for many runs now and it proves to be very effective at fixing deficiencies/errors. I monitor my EC as well to make sure there isn’t a lock out. This strain has had me on my toes the last two runs. But I want to understand why you say don’t check you run off pH? I also do the test where you mix water and soil to find the soils ph. It’s usually the same +\- .01. That’s a drift of .03. Good enough for me.
If it's an organic soil grow (which was my assumption,and maybe it's wrong) then it's really not necessary to chase PH. If it's an inorganic grow, then a ph going in/out within .5 is fine. More diagnostic is the TDS (PPM) measurement, which will tell you if you're getting a salt build-up or more/less nutes are needed (lower PPM's coming out than going in). It is also helpful, if like me, you have extremely bad (High PPM/TDS) water. When you PH the water going in the roots are going have access to everything they need in the PH range of the water. Most potting soils have a pretty good buffering effect on water and will keep the soil/water ph pretty close to each other. Doing a baseline test on the soil ph gives you an idea of what your dealing with, but most commercial soils are in the correct PH range. In any case, if it works for you, then continue. The plants look very good!

If it's an organic soil grow (which was my assumption,and maybe it's wrong) then it's really not necessary to chase PH. If it's an inorganic grow, then a ph going in/out within .5 is fine. More diagnostic is the TDS (PPM) measurement, which will tell you if you're getting a salt build-up or more/less nutes are needed (lower PPM's coming out than going in). It is also helpful, if like me, you have extremely bad (High PPM/TDS) water. When you PH the water going in the roots are going have access to everything they need in the PH range of the water. Most potting soils have a pretty good buffering effect on water and will keep the soil/water ph pretty close to each other. Doing a baseline test on the soil ph gives you an idea of what your dealing with, but most commercial soils are in the correct PH range. In any case, if it works for you, then continue. The plants look very good!
Just wanted to point out that EC/TDS/ppm are the same thing just measured differently. I already monitor my EC measured in ppm.

I’m trying to bring out the purple in them with the cold temps. But I’m definitely not intentionally trying to make it to cold. My goal is to have it go from 75 lights on to 65 lights off. I
I have had purple leaves, stems and buds show up even when the temps, lights on or off, never went below 65, and more probably 67 or 68.

Some growers swear by using Purpinator to bring out the purple colors.

I have had purple leaves, stems and buds show up even when the temps, lights on or off, never went below 65, and more probably 67 or 68.

Some growers swear by using Purpinator to bring out the purple colors.
This is my second run on these exact same strains. First run they had zero color other than green. The temps then were 70-85 lights off/on. This time by keeping the temps low. IE: 65-75, if the pheno has it, it will show purple. Gotta have that 10 degree split from lights on to lights off. And gotta keep it at 65-75 and it will turn colors.

You don’t want it to go below 65. Start to approach the danger zone.

Your plants are turning purple because you’re keeping it cold (65-68).
What’s your lights off temp? What’s your lights on temp?

Make sure to have a 10 degree split because that forces the plant to produce more flowering hormones.

Your plants are turning purple because you’re keeping it cold (65-68).
What’s your lights off temp? What’s your lights on temp?
I noticed purple leaves starting to show several years ago. Back then the night time temps were 65-68 for a few hours. Those temps were possible in January and February. By early to mid March the overnight temps would be going back up. Daytime temps then were 70 to 75.

All that changed once I started to use a tent for flowering instead of the cabinet. Since then the night time temps rarely would get to 68, often only dropping to 70-72. Daytime temps would be 78-85 depending on how much I would open the tent door.

This Peanut Butter Cup bud photo was from late February of this year. The tent temperatures would apply. The plant is a 1st generation clone. I do not remember the original plant having this much purple in it and I do not see any notes in the grow log about a heavy purple. I grew a few other PBC clones to harvest which were cuttings off of this one so 2nd generation. Those were not as purple either but the potential for a purple plant was noticeable. The right genetics along with a good watering schedule and a good nutrient program all seem to increase the purple. I just do not feel that the cold temps are as important to the purple colors.

Now that I am feeling better health wise you are giving me some ideas to check out over the winter if I get a chance. I went and checked and I do have some clones in the veg area that are clones off of this one so maybe take cuttings off of those and see what survives.

(Edit Note-original photo taken on Feb 20, 2022 and not the 25th.)

Back
Top Bottom