DIY Calcium?

BigDannel

My plant is starting to develop a slight cal deficiency, Cal-Mag is on the way but everything takes forever to ship right now. Are there any easy home remedies I can start to use until the Cal-Mag comes? I'm using FFOF with their line of nutes and don't want to mess up the soil pH or anything and the plant will definitely be fine until the Cal-Mag arrives, but if there is a safe and easy home remedy version in the mean-time I would like to apply it.

nothing that would beat the calmag in shipping... you might want to check out my DIY calmag from eggshells in my links though for some other time.

Thank you, to be honest I was hoping you would be the one to respond lol. I had seen a few things using egg shells but unfortunately I don't have any vinegar right now. I do have an extra dozen eggs...I could probably grab the vinegar at the store but no Cal-Mag in stock locally so will have to wait until at least Friday. I also saw a few things using egg shells and epson salt, have you ever tried anything like that?

Thank you, to be honest I was hoping you would be the one to respond lol. I had seen a few things using egg shells but unfortunately I don't have any vinegar right now. I do have an extra dozen eggs...I could probably grab the vinegar at the store but no Cal-Mag in stock locally so will have to wait until at least Friday. I also saw a few things using egg shells and epson salt, have you ever tried anything like that?
no, that one sounds like a bro science hack to make calmag and I would avoid it at all costs. The vinegar takes about 21 days to ferment the goodness out of the burned egg shells, but there would be virtually no benefit in applying egg shells to your soil without fermentation, because it would take around 3-4 months to break down into the available calcium. Any grocery store has the apple cider vinegar, so take the extra care to do it right. In the meantime, your plants are going to survive till Friday. Just as a slight scolding, you should always have calmag on hand before starting a grow, just in case.

no, that one sounds like a bro science hack to make calmag and I would avoid it at all costs. The vinegar takes about 21 days to ferment the goodness out of the burned egg shells, but there would be virtually no benefit in applying egg shells to your soil without fermentation, because it would take around 3-4 months to break down into the available calcium. Any grocery store has the apple cider vinegar, so take the extra care to do it right. In the meantime, your plants are going to survive till Friday. Just as a slight scolding, you should always have calmag on hand before starting a grow, just in case.

OK thanks, there is one small garden center I may take a trip to tomorrow to see if they have it. I have never added CalMag to FFOF before but good to know I should have it on hand all the time. Thanks for your reply.

You don't always need it... but when you do, it is good to have ready. It is very very common to need calmag when running LED lights and when running RO water.

I will definitely be sure to have it on hand going forward. Are there any other supplements you would suggest to always have when using FFOF and their line of nutrients? I try to follow the manufacturer's directions as closely as possible but they never mention adding anything additional. Lesson learned!

Thats the only necessary one ... silica is good, so is a good pk booster at the end if you arent running the 3 solubles, and always be sure to pH low, to 6.2 -6.3 in FFOF or you will end up with heavy metal deficiencies late in flower. Also be sure to 3x flush periodically as the FF soil schedule suggests.

I hate to keep asking you questions, but I know you're extremely knowledgeable in this area. Is there anything you suggest to "pH low"? Would a General Hydroponics pH Down work? Just mix in when feeding or with water alone?

Side note - if this forum were to ever start an "expert grower" advisory board I would 100% donate to it, I truly appreciate you taking time to share your knowledge with us here and wish there were a way to thank you. :thanks:

nothing that would beat the calmag in shipping... you might want to check out my DIY calmag from eggshells in my links though for some other time.

I've made this Calmag from eggchells following instructions by Emilyas thread. Works awesome and easy to make. 100% recommended.

I hate to keep asking you questions, but I know you're extremely knowledgeable in this area. Is there anything you suggest to "pH low"? Would a General Hydroponics pH Down work? Just mix in when feeding or with water alone?

Side note - if this forum were to ever start an "expert grower" advisory board I would 100% donate to it, I truly appreciate you taking time to share your knowledge with us here and wish there were a way to thank you. :thanks:
I get my thanks by seeing great grows and knowing I helped. Nothing else is necessary. For pH down I used a 1:15 dilution of battery acid, made by replacing 1 cup of distilled water in a gallon jug with 1 cup of acid from the local car parts store. This makes it pretty harmless to us, and it works just about the same as the GH ph down for a fraction of the cost. For pH up, I store a very weak solution of plumbers lye in a glass jar of distilled water. When you are adjusting the pH, get everything mixed in that you are going to apply to the plants, and pH to 6.2-6.3 immediately before applying it to the soil.

Back
Top Bottom