DIY flower iron

blackpaw

Was looking at a ceramic tipped herb iron but was appalled at the price. So, let the mouse do the shopping and viola a cheap alternative:

$30 "value" import 24vDC ceramic tipped, jacketed. Need to get down to the bare ceramic, now I have to touch the metal jacket to the herb, the watts cranked full on and get some good rips, but more combustion through contact than radiant or convection. I've seen youtubes where the tip barely touches the crown of the bowl and it's fully vaping (if that is the right word).

Any ideas? I wish I could find my non contact laser thermometer..............I know, smoke 2 before I smoke 2 more again, I might remember then........lol
image11002.jpeg
image21001.jpeg
image3881.jpeg

A high temp resistance thermometer
Thermocouple Type-K Glass Braid Insulated + Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 breakout board (MAX6675 upgrade) + and LCD screen.
You can see your temperature displayed in the LCD screen and control to how you like it.

You can easily drop 500-800 on a prebuilt one. Or you could drop ~$100 and roll your own variable temp with temp display vape.. :volcano-smiley:

I can help you with the code. I am pretty proficient with the arduino open-source platform.

Like this?

reDSCF1059_copy.jpeg

reDSCF1058_copy.jpeg

reDSCF1055_copy.jpeg

reDSCF1054_copy.jpeg

Picked it up off of that bay of fleas for like $7-8 shipped. Seller didn't know what it was and I just thought it'd be cool to mess with.

Greg

Nope, that's a output in Watts. (V x A) or power consumption...

We're looking at showing the irons true working temperature. within +- 0.5c accuracy.
Platinum resistance thermometer / thermocouple. :volcano-smiley::hookah:

Looking at the display closer, it will only show output from A/C (ac I'm guessing) outlet on back of soldering station, I understand that there is no thermocouple, duh, stupid me. So, I'd have to calibrate the dial with a matched iron and temp probe on my multi meter to get somewhat repeteable temp numbers. I now need an iron. The Chinese soldering station I posed about above has now reverted back to being soldering iron. To get the temps I wanted I had to run the dial wide open and don't want to overload the dc power supply.

I did end up getting an actual brand-name flower iron. It works well, I can taste the flowers again. I mistakenly grabbed a help wick roll to light a glass water piece of mine and FORGOT theres no ash catcher.............PUKE COUGH CHOKE SPUTTER PUKE COUGH......did I mention COUGH???? Nasty nasty nasty I had to wash out the glass immediately. The soot from a lighter or even a hemp wick and the ash from burning flower coated the slide n dropdown in BLACK tar looking stuff where as the smoke from a iron-vaped hit left the glass with a lighter brownish "fume."

My whole purpose was to find a cheaper alternative to the brand name. What I've started here is my project to build a digitally controlled and monitored temp-dialed-in flower "vaporizer." If we can have a d-nail on an oil rig where we can dial in any temp we want, why can't we spin a knob or button-press up or down a desired temp and use it continuously. One last thought in my grand scheme to brew this contraption up is safety 3dr, I mean 1st. I have a hrbr frgt A/C power foot control switch that I may want to wire up as a, "Hey stupid, you left me on!!" switch. Depress switch, outlet on, release foot, iron goes off, simple. Leaving burning hot metals and ceramics out in the open
is #1 danger to myself and my cats, mostly me, I'm the stupid one. Thanks again for the tips!!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom