DIY rotating garden on the cheap

Once they start to flower it makes all the trials and errors worth while. With all three flowering, how much room is left in the drum ? :peace::ganjamon:
That depends how I trim the girls I guess, there are 12 holes in the drum to put a plant in. During this growth I topped 2 of the 3 plants once and basically let them grow, only to tie them back just a bit. I was thinking that putting 8 plants in the drum might be possible but not topping them and trim them so they grow only 1 (hopefully) bigger cola. In that way there would be 1 long stem which is easier to tie against the drum and keep more distance towards the light.

Maybe 8 is wishful thinking as I am convinced that, after my modifications, the next growth will do much, much better. Also, I start to be (just a little bit) more experienced and now can avoid some of the mistakes I made during this virgin trial.

There looking good man! You should take a step back and take a photo of the whole unit with the door open...with the plants at this stage I think it would look awesome.
Thank you BubblinBuds, your wish is my command.... :laughtwo:
apr1.jpg

Haha thanks bro, it looks killer! It’s just such an awesome setup it’d be a shame not to show off the whole box! Lol The close ups are good too... it’s all nice :Rasta:
Thanks, as I said before, mini versions now but after the modifications, the next growth will end up with much more mature plants, I am sure. Don't forget, when I started this I NEVER EVER grow a cannabis plant before so it was all guess work and done in a drum like this.....how much bigger can a challenge be? :woohoo:

Well I say your off to bangin start for your first canna grow ever.. and trust, As you refine your method and dial everything in you will without a doubt see an increase in quality all around. I’m gonna be here to watch it go down the whole way, I love the way you set it up on a rotating drum. Very cool. :goodjob:

Well I say your off to bangin start for your first canna grow ever.. and trust, As you refine your method and dial everything in you will without a doubt see an increase in quality all around. I’m gonna be here to watch it go down the whole way, I love the way you set it up on a rotating drum. Very cool. :goodjob:
Welcome to the club....:welcome:

April 3, 2020

I lost one of my plants last night, the same plant was pulled again out of the drum, there must be some interference with the bottom of the reservoir although i can't really see it. First time I saw it just after it happened and I could fix it but this time it happened in the night and I was too late, the main stem was snapped. Later on I will do an autopsy on the rock wool cube to see the root development.
april3.jpg

Your navigating uncharted waters here so things like this are bound to happen, I’m sure you know that. A completely perfect first run would have been nice (optimistic) but it’s better to find the chinks in the armor sooner rather then later. Keep on keepin on brother!

Your navigating uncharted waters here so things like this are bound to happen, I’m sure you know that. A completely perfect first run would have been nice (optimistic) but it’s better to find the chinks in the armor sooner rather then later. Keep on keepin on brother!
Yes I know, I am used to modify and adjust executed ideas, it is just a pity that it happened just before it got more mature buds. In general this trial is not disappointing at all, even better that expected and for the issues that came up during this trial until now, I know I all have excellent solutions.

In the beginning when tings “happened” I was a bit desperate as I started growing the Harlequin strain for arthritis that started to develop in my wrist. But friends of mine, experienced growers, are very interested in what I am doing and they used a few seeds I gave them and they provided me now unlimited tinctures so the pressure of performing with my trials is gone. In return I provide them alcohol 95% that I make to do a QWET.

Yes I know, I am used to modify and adjust executed ideas, it is just a pity that it happened just before it got more mature buds. In general this trial is not disappointing at all, even better that expected and for the issues that came up during this trial until now, I know I all have excellent solutions.

In the beginning when tings “happened” I was a bit desperate as I started growing the Harlequin strain for arthritis that started to develop in my wrist. But friends of mine, experienced growers, are very interested in what I am doing and they used a few seeds I gave them and they provided me now unlimited tinctures so the pressure of performing with my trials is gone. In return I provide them alcohol 95% that I make to do a QWET.
Sounds like a fair trade to me...Not sure about the extractions but I’d sure as hell take a swig of that fire water!

Here you see the development of the roots, they are long and tiny, compare that with the roots in the last picture where I did a test in this drum with a lettuce in soil. Growing in soil with the next growth will be a big improvement.
IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

jan31_6.jpg

Here you see the development of the roots, they are long and tiny, compare that with the roots in the last picture where I did a test in this drum with a lettuce in soil. Growing in soil with the next growth will be a big improvement.
IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

jan31_6.jpg
The root system in the soil would be more robust because of what it is growing in . Hydro roots don't need to be as robust, no hard growing needed to find food. Usually not supporting the weight of the plant as well. Sorry about the fallen trooper, but then again that is what this thread is all about, experimentation. Fascinating to watch. :peace: :Rasta:

The root system in the soil would be more robust because of what it is growing in . Hydro roots don't need to be as robust, no hard growing needed to find food. Usually not supporting the weight of the plant as well. Sorry about the fallen trooper, but then again that is what this thread is all about, experimentation. Fascinating to watch. :peace: :Rasta:
You are probably right, maybe it is a feeling or even wishful thinking, but I had a lettuce in rock wool also and the one in soil grew much bigger. Then again, lettuce is not cannabis and at the end it is what you say, experimenting, that’s what it is all about.

Thank God, nowadays the pressure of “performing results” is gone. Friends of mine (experienced growers) took a few of my Harlequin seeds long time ago and provide me with all the tinctures I and my girlfriend need, so I can experiment as much as I want in the way I want. In return I provide them alcohol 95% It’s a “win win”.

In return I provide them alcohol 95% It’s a “win win”.
So one hand washes the other and that's what the government wants me to do nowadays... :laughtwo: :laughtwo::laughtwo:

April 5, 2020

Nine days ago I added some “bunny tea” as extra nutrients in my reservoir and it looks the plants react very well on that. I added the tea “on a feeling” but today I will make a new batch and measure the dose so I can keep better track of the results for the future.

I am not going into the rabbit tea in this post as I have created a new post about that. Anyways, this looks very promising…..

Stay safe!
april5_1.JPG

april5_2.JPG

Not sure what the plan should be, I mean, do I keep adding the tea as a supplement, or do I decrease the Masterblend and increase the tea? Maybe it is the right combination of Masterblend and tea, but at what ratio?

Questions for the future. Right now your plants are looking great, so this combination is working. :peace: :ganjamon:
You are right, this combination is working but my sense of innovation is always eating my brain, thinking “what if….what if…..” Clearly the tea has a positive effect but “what if” I can get big buds on small plants…..?

I WILL change the ratio today as I also have a deal with some friends to do innovation in return for tinctures so I don’t have to depend on crop of growth with my experiments. Losing a few plants is not a big deal (and that would be worst case scenario), but the lost time is much more important as I have to start all over again.

Basically the tea results have changed everything, it started with a first trial to see if growing in the drum would work, it was more a “fun project”, then there was the realization that, with some modifications (replacing RW and bigger volume) I would be able to get a “reasonable” crop, but now perhaps I might be able to grow 6 or 8 good sized kolas on a surface of 2 x 2 ft……

Another very positive thing is, that my other plants in rabbit soil and R-DWC with tea grow FAST, much faster than all growing I did before. Or maybe the Masterblend was holding growth back a bit but gave just enough to grow?

I will go for less MB and more tea for sure, trying to find the best results and I have to do it now as there is not much time any more with this growth to get some results.

Cheers

April 5, 2020

I have changed the batch of nutrients, cleaned everything and flushed the pump. Ready to go for another week or so.
  • I have decreased the MB with 75%, now 500 ppm instead of 1900 ppm.
  • I have added 600 ml of concentrated tea to this batch, compared to the batch in the R-DWC, this is an increase of around 10x or 1000%
You need to dose the tea by volume as the ppm meter does not read tea…..

Let’s hope for the best.
april5_3.JPG

If this works I am going to call it Bunny Honey.... :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

Forgot: adding the tea did increase the Ph. of the batch only by 0.1 points after adding the MB, but it took me at least 3x as much Ph Down (Advanced Nutrients) as normal to bring the Ph. of the 20 liters to 5.6
It is almost as if the tea "locks in" the Ph.
Maybe I should do the Ph. first and end with adding the tea?

Back
Top Bottom