DIY Cheap intake - tent venting - fan

Perfect Sun LED

After seeing the prices of intake fans, venting fans, I decided to build my own. I strolled around Walmart for a while before I found cheap parts, and homedepo.

Parts.

1. Plastic Pitcher, about 8inches diameter. You could also use a 7 or 8 inch PVC pipe, but it will be much heavier. Not sure you want that if you are using a tent.

2. Metal Ruler. Or a piece of metal that is bendable and about as thick as a ruler. Sheet metal cut to size from Homedepot would work. It was closed, so I found the ruler at Walmart, open 24-7. I didn't feel like waiting until the next day. :p

3. A stove fan, the kind that go above the stove, I think called a stove range fan or something. I found one at Home Depot for $14.

Total cost per fan with parts $19. These babies pull and push a lot of air.

First I sawed the handles off the pictures with a hacksaw. Then I sawed the closed end off, so that it was a tube.

I cute the ruler into two pices 10 inches long, this way I could bend the ends 1 inch, so that the length is 8 inches and will fit inside the tube. Next, I drilled small holes in the bent sides and in the tube so I could screw it in. Then I drilled holes in the long part so the fan would fit.

Okay, so when you open the fan, it will be attached to a metal piece, usually square. The fan will pop off. Just slowly pull until it comes off. It takes some force. Then unscrew two screws so you can remove the fan motor from the metal it is attached to. Measure the distance of the three holes in that bracket and duplicate them in the center of the ruler. Now your fan will slide into the ruler. Put the fan back on. Walla.

Place the fan with new bracket inside the tube you built. Screw screws in the holes to hold it in place. To be most secure, you should drill two holes in the side parts, so you can put two screws on each side.

You can put these babies in the holes, or fit them to each side of venting tubes. I places them at the top of my tent, one blowing in and one out. I just used the tents tie tubes to secure it.

I don't need to vent any lights because I use CFL and LED

If you would like to see a video process of making these, I might make one more and maybe sell it ob ebay or something.

They move about 70cfm. Keep in mind, the higher the cfm the more costy. However, if you leave them on all the time, they will complete replace the room's air in 30 minutes I am sure. They seem to be more than enough to keep fresh air in the 4x4x8 tent.

Hmm, I thought of another way to build a fan, which I think I am going to use. It should be much quiter. Check this out. A PC fan for only $14 that has CFM of 147.7

Newegg.com - EVERCOOL 1225H12B-Y21 120mm Power Supply Replacement Fan

You can alo get a 140mm fan, but they are about 90cfm, because they are much lower RPM. The one I linked to has 4500RPM. Insane for so small. The problem is how small it is. It would be easier to build a 120mm square tub for it, or cut the corners off and make a round tube for it to fit in. This would be so light, and way more powerful than what I have right now.

I just didn't think a PC fan could move so much air. Awesome. If I make one, I will make a video step by step of me building the second one, so everyone can follow along.

I found a quiter one for only $7, but it moves a bit less air at 107cfm. You could stack 4 of these neck to each other making a 240mm square intake fan.

Sorry, I just read about how not to host your own images, so I uploaded it to the gallery and am going to embed it here just in case my server ever goes down. :)

fans3.jpg

Also, new update. I am pretty sure, PC fans will not work. I bought some, and even though they claim to move 100cpm, they sure don't feel like it. These 50cpm fans I built feel like they push 10 times more air than the 100cpm PC fan 220mm. My regular big fan feels like it moves way more air.

So instead, I found some 220cpm 4" intake fans for $26. Wish I would have found those before building mine. Mine costed about $19 each to build.

I did have another idea for a cheap solution to a fast fan. I wonder how much air a 30,000k dremel motor would move with a 4inch or 6inch fan on it. You can buy them for $30-40. I bet used on craigslist for much cheaper.

I think I will do one for this experiment I will be starting wednesday. Two of each of these three straings: Northern Lights, LSD, and Purpose Deisel.

I will grow one of each in coco and one of each in a light soil. The coco will have perlite at the bottom, and sand or plastic at the top to keep knats off. The iffy thing with the coco, is the clones have been grown in dirt, and are in 1 gallon planters, which are just about root bound. If I just plant them straight in the coco, then a big amount of the roots will still be in soil, so I would have to water strangly.

I could flush the hell out of the soil before transplanting to get rid of lots of the nuts in the soil. I might even be able to flush it really good and remove most of the soil. I will have to see. This transplant might cause lots of stress, but if they recover well, I think the coco will produce more buds.

You don't need to wash off the soil. Transplanting won't do damage if you either use bone meal while transplanting or some b-1 formula to prevent plant shock. Since there clones I would say you will be transplanting them maybe more than 1 before flower to end up in a 5 gallon pot so bought time that happens it will be dominantly coco coir. I use coco coir now and it rocks. Just pick you up some CaMg+ because coco coir will rip calcium from the plants roots as well as magnesium. :thumb:

Wz, right, coco does that do to the high levels of sodium already in it, especially if the coconuts were from the cost. Best is to buy from places where the coconuts are from the mainland of thailand or srilanka, but from inland, not by the cost. Even then, some CaMag+ is needed as you said.

The thing I am worried about is with how much the roots are settled in the soil. If I just transplant then into coco, without at least trying to get soil off, then when I water them as I water coco, with hydroponic nutrients, then the soil part around the core of the root system in soil will retain all those nuts much more than the surround coco will. I've never tried it that way, soil to coco, but I've seen some bad results from others.

Also the Ph of soil is different than coco, so I am worried about that as well. If I leave all the soil on, then when I water, it would be best o water the outisde with ph 5.8-6.2 and the inside (soil) with 6.7 or so.

Part of the experient is to see how well the plants adapt from root bound soil clones to coco, as a lot of despensaries sell root bound soil clones. That is where I am buy these. The clones I do, I will grow in a drip system.

OK are you doing hydroponics? Or sticking to flower pots? If hydro than yes I would say break the soil up from around the roots and then run Luke warm water from your sink to get as much soil off of the roots. I've done that before. But if your stick to flower pots than just loosening up the roots and soil will do just fine. Roots will adjust to coco just fine. I used coco coir and MG organic soil since day one. And I love the stuff. Using them together is even better. I like having total control over what I put into my soil/plants. Just make sure you use some anti shock when transplanting you'll do fine. Super thrive works wonders for this. The one in coco will for sure thrive as its more airy and doesn't stay wet long. MJ plants love dryer environments. But its also all about what you add to it. I use fish emulsion for beneficial bacteria since it doesn't have any in coco. And then feed it with molasses to keep the soil/coco alive. You can purchase mykos or great white for this also if you like.

yeah, I run mykos in coco. It will be in an airpot, but I am going to water like hydro with 5.8 to 6.2 ph, and using hydro nuts because pure coco is pretty much a hydro system even if watered by hand. At least, that is how I treat it.

The soil ones, I will water with mostly just Ph water 6.7.

General Hydroponics, 3 part flora series, but I might try something else for the soil. The soil will have nutrients in it, so I will use those up first, and while doing so only very lightly using nuts in the soil, like 200ppm. Once the plants stop growing very quickly, I will up the nuts.

Sounds like a plan. So pretty much you want to show the difference between having full control of the soil vs just regular growing in already fertilized soil! And your focusing on the root zone. AN voodoo juice or GH Root enhancer will be great for this. :thumb: Sounds like a great plan. They both have there pros & cons. But can gain huge yields and plant growth if done right with both. I like to see how your going about it in your journal once you put it up. Ill be in front row seat :)

I did away with those fans. I replaced the fan taking air out with a 6inch intake fan from home depot for $30. I went to goodwill and bought an 8 inch fan that clips on somewhere. I removed the clip, then duct tape a pitcher I had cut one end off of to the fan. I use that as the fan to pull air into my tent. Works better than the 50cfm bathroom fan.

Back
Top Bottom