Do it yourself Vermi composting

Bud Grant

We all know worm castings are a great soil amendment. It increases water holding capacity and is rich in micro organisms. Whether you just enjoy it for a hobby or don't care to pay up to 5.00 a pound for worm poop, you can follow these easy steps for a worm poop factory any gardener can be proud of.

1. Get two of those Suncast, Rubbermaid, or whatever storage tubs
2. Bin A: Put holes around the top and the bottom of it. I burned the holes in using a soldiering iron (be sure there is ventilation) or you can use an 1/8 inch drill.
2012-12-21_13-52-33_675.jpg

2012-12-21_13-55-34_769.jpg

2012-12-21_13-52-08_820.jpg

The holes around the top are to get oxygen to your worms. The holes in the bottom of the tub are for the castings to fall through.

3. Bin B: your not doing anything to this one. It stays as is. Put something in the bottom so it holds bin A up a little. You can use rocks or whatever. I repurposed this cottage cheese container.
2012-12-21_13-53-10_86.jpg

4. Insert bin A into bin b. Notice how it doesnt sink down in the container all the way? that's because the object, in this case the cottage cheese container holds it up a bit. This alows air flow through the holes in the top and room for the castings dripping out the bottom.
2012-12-21_13-57-31_345.jpg

5. Time to get your bedding ready. Take all your junkmail, carboard boxes, shredded paper and put it in a container. Get it good and wet. Then put it into the bin. I also put in the coffee grounds from all those Kuerig k cups I've been saving. Worms like coffee grounds, as a matter of fact the worms I bought came in a bowl of coffee grounds.
2012-12-21_14-14-56_458.jpg
2012-12-21_14-15-17_580.jpg

6. You can buy worms for 30.00 on Amazon, or do what I did and buy angling worms at the bait shop. Angling worms are just red wigglers. These were 3.00 for two dozen.
2012-12-21_14-16-36_257.jpg

At this point you can put it in a cool spot between 55 and 65 degrees. These worms like grain, fruits and veggies. If your not sure if you should give them something, better research first. For example they do not like oily foods or meat, they also don't like onions.
It's a bit of work, it took me about 1/2 hour. But these little guys are low maintenance. They just want to be kept moist, get some air, and to have something to eat once in awhile. Don't forget to put the lid on, worms like it dark. Add matter as needed to keep your colony happy.
They will reward you with class A humus in return.
-Bud Grant

One more thing, I heard that worms use grit to digest like birds do. So I threw some desert sand into the composter

Thanks bud! This is great. And how about the nematode factory? How complicated is that? I'm in the middle of a thrip problem and a nematode bin would be a nice way to keep the critters from returning.

I need to research the nematode Pharmer, Loadie seems to have some knowledge in that department. Sounds like he already has a factory.

Ok that's what I figured, maybe McLoadie could make a DIY on the nematode factory, or just explain how he made his. I'm going to build one of these worm bins soon. Thanks again for showing us how it's done!!
Merry Xmas guys!!

The Eisenia fetidae or Red Wigglers is a surface feeding composting worm. In nature they are found in the upper 8 to 12 inchs of the soil, feeding on organic matter.
I raised them for making vermicompost while in California, I used the compost to make compost tea that I used on the golf course I was managing. I also used it in my on yard and garden. I had a number of bins I had built and one, the one that got me started raising them, a CanOWorms. I figured I had some in the neighbor hood of ten to 15 lbs of worms in each bin. When I left Cal, I gave my thirty plus bins, similar to the one you showed, to the Boy/Girl Scout groups in my area in Northern California. I brought only one bin with me back to Texas and now have my herd up and going again.
Vermicompost is a very good slow release fertilizer.
If I can be of any help with your herd or the building of bins let me know.
GR

The Eisenia fetidae or Red Wigglers is a surface feeding composting worm. In nature they are found in the upper 8 to 12 inchs of the soil, feeding on organic matter.
I raised them for making vermicompost while in California, I used the compost to make compost tea that I used on the golf course I was managing. I also used it in my on yard and garden. I had a number of bins I had built and one, the one that got me started raising them, a CanOWorms. I figured I had some in the neighbor hood of ten to 15 lbs of worms in each bin. When I left Cal, I gave my thirty plus bins, similar to the one you showed, to the Boy/Girl Scout groups in my area in Northern California. I brought only one bin with me back to Texas and now have my herd up and going again.
Vermicompost is a very good slow release fertilizer.
If I can be of any help with your herd or the building of bins let me know.
GR

Hey GR, that would be a good subject for a thread, I'd like to have some here. I'm from norcaltoo.

I feed my red wigglers my bokashi compost and they eat it up way faster.

So your making your bokashi with EM1, and what is the grain or bran you are using.

The herd will only build a better product using a compost, and bokashi makes some of the best. Have you used Black Soldier Fly compost. They love that and the BSF brake down the raw materials much faster. They are one hell of a composting tool. If you don't know about them I can give you links to learn. I have a BSF bin behind my shop, homemade but it works, built last fall so won't see a lot of action till this spring.

I can't wait to make a tea out of the vermicomposted scraps, BSF compost, and I have liter of EM1 and will add a very small amt to the tea. Then run my ebb and flow with 1:20 Tea to highly oxygenated water. That is a few months away, I do have the first batch of VC ready for tea, so that will happen soon.

Peace Out

So your making your bokashi with EM1, and what is the grain or bran you are using.

The herd will only build a better product using a compost, and bokashi makes some of the best. Have you used Black Soldier Fly compost. They love that and the BSF brake down the raw materials much faster. They are one hell of a composting tool. If you don't know about them I can give you links to learn. I have a BSF bin behind my shop, homemade but it works, built last fall so won't see a lot of action till this spring.

I can't wait to make a tea out of the vermicomposted scraps, BSF compost, and I have liter of EM1 and will add a very small amt to the tea. Then run my ebb and flow with 1:20 Tea to highly oxygenated water. That is a few months away, I do have the first batch of VC ready for tea, so that will happen soon.

Peace Out

The grain is wheat and rice with a bit of azomite. I am going to do the BSF compost next. It will be my 4th type of compost I'm making now. I also get to play with a 200 gal aerated tea brewer at my work. I love compost and so do my plants!

Back
Top Bottom