Do you still have to water when growing hydro DWC?

TheBaron95

Hi everyone, this may sound like a stupid question but do you still have to water your plants if growing hydro DWC?

I understand you have to change your water every week and keep the water in the bottom topped up and nutes added etc. But do you have to sprinkle water on top still?

Cheers :)

Hi everyone, this may sound like a stupid question but do you still have to water your plants if growing hydro DWC?

I understand you have to change your water every week and keep the water in the bottom topped up and nutes added etc. But do you have to sprinkle water on top still?

Cheers :)

the short answer is no u don't have to water. with that being said some times people will add dipper lines that feed from the top. I personally don't do that I just run a RDWC system that is working wonders. this style of growing makes for some BIG girls. depending on the ppm and the ec of the water sometimes I only top off the system with ph'd water with no nutriants. hope that helps and answered the question you have.

ps.. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked!

Not a stupid question at all. A rather excellent question. For example: What if somebody was using a 5 gallon bucket full of clay pebbles or some big net pot full of clay pebbles or other media and they are afraid that the root mass within the clay isn't getting wet enough because of no direct contact with water. Then yes, you still must drip from the top until the roots touch the water.
Or that person can be told to stop using pebbles or rockwool (useless, obsolete and detrimental to water quality and just another maintenance issue for no reason at all) and learn how to use thick DIY foam collars that can hold up the weight of super sized hydroponic monster plants. Just use a small jiffy pellet held firm in a thick premium foam collar if starting seedlings in a hydro method (cut one out yourself from a 1" thick premium black neoprene foam sheet with a hole saw, size it accordingly to fit snug in a net pot or pvc 40 male adapter ). Best thing about foam is that it doesn't shed into the water. Once the seedling in the jiffy pellet shows pre-flowers (by this time it's not a seedling anymore) take cuttings, insert cuttings into a small disc of foam that is within a larger disc of foam (centered within with a little 1/8" hole and a slit to the center from the side, you do that to the little foam disc within the larger foam disc) and place it into the hydroponic net pot (or similar holding container) and then wonder why anybody (especially those with years of experience) would use any other method of plant holding if they were doing a top drip, bubbler or other DWC method.

Not a stupid question at all. A rather excellent question. For example: What if somebody was using a 5 gallon bucket full of clay pebbles or some big net pot full of clay pebbles or other media and they are afraid that the root mass within the clay isn't getting wet enough because of no direct contact with water. Then yes, you still must drip from the top until the roots touch the water.
Or that person can be told to stop using pebbles or rockwool (useless, obsolete and detrimental to water quality and just another maintenance issue for no reason at all) and learn how to use thick DIY foam collars that can hold up the weight of super sized hydroponic monster plants. Just use a small jiffy pellet held firm in a thick premium foam collar if starting seedlings in a hydro method (cut one out yourself from a 1" thick premium black neoprene foam sheet with a hole saw, size it accordingly to fit snug in a net pot or pvc 40 male adapter ). Best thing about foam is that it doesn't shed into the water. Once the seedling in the jiffy pellet shows pre-flowers (by this time it's not a seedling anymore) take cuttings, insert cuttings into a small disc of foam that is within a larger disc of foam (centered within with a little 1/8" hole and a slit to the center from the side, you do that to the little foam disc within the larger foam disc) and place it into the hydroponic net pot (or similar holding container) and then wonder why anybody (especially those with years of experience) would use any other method of plant holding if they were doing a top drip, bubbler or other DWC method.

sounds a little confusing to me? I'm still a nube and have only reserched how I grow and that's it. I am unsure why you used me in a quote? I was simply letting him know that his question is NOT stupid. it kinda seems like you think I was was saying the question was stupid.

if not sorry for the misunderstanding.

ok I just read it again I think I'm following you Lord Hydros I should have asked him if he was growing in a way mentioned in your post. I grow RDWC and the post was about DWC pretty close to the same thing. I've never seen or heard of any of the foam or hydroton in the buckets as mentioned so it wasn't even on my minde. I guess I don't see how you can have a DWC setup if the bucket it's full of rocks or clay pellets. have you seen this before I'd defenetly like to check it out if you have.

I meant nothing negative and quoted you because I agreed with you. I see how it was possible to perceive me being negative there, so I don't blame you for questioning me. No harm intended.

it's all good I'm glad you didn't take what I had to say negatively as well! I'm just a nube that knows just enough that I feel I need to help others when I can! thanks for letting me know you agreed with my original post! it is very encouraging! I just wanted you to know I didn't mean to say something that was bad advice if It was bad advice! thank you Lord Hydros for clearing that up!

Back
Top Bottom