Do your plants sleep for 2 days before 12/12?

krashdoobs

I remember doing this a few times before: Have the plants sleep for 48 hours before changing the light to 12/12. Apparantly it induces flowering. I know shoking the plants would (ie: cold water instead of luke warm, or leave the A/C turned on for 24 hours), but I wonder if the darkness helps as well?

Any thoughts ?

Ive heard about doing a 13/11 cycle at first too.. or leaving the light off for a full 24 hours.. but as far as i know, the light is what feeds the plant..so i dont know. someone else's thoughts would be nice.

Since total darkness for more than 16 hours in a row never happens naturally, all it can do is adversely affect the plant, causing stress.
Stress/an irregular light cycle can cause herm's.

Cutting the light cycle down is what triggers flowering, NOT extended periods of darkness.

I run a 13/11 cycle throughout flowering.

this is not true, in fact there are some places where there are times of straight day light, and times of striaght darkness, marijuana is truely a wonder. it does grow in those conditions. but as far as changing light regemen, just turning your light schedule to 12/12 shocks the plant into flowering. i.e change of season.

I guess its all just a preference and relative to the strain that you are growing if the darkness would make an effect or not. I'm not a fanatic about the 48 hr sleep either, i rather nuke the plants just as change the light to 12/12.

Why 13/11 ?? Do you notice a difference?

DankCloset said:
this is not true, in fact there are some places where there are times of straight day light, and times of striaght darkness, marijuana is truely a wonder. it does grow in those conditions. but as far as changing light regemen, just turning your light schedule to 12/12 shocks the plant into flowering. i.e change of season.

12/12 a plant encounters naturally.
2 days of darkness it doesn't, except maybe at the poles in the winter, where and when it would be unlikely to find pot growing outside.

I use a 13/11 light cycle because plants flower well under 13/11 and I believe that this extra bit of light (vs. 12/12) makes the plant more potent, though I can't prove it.

rangerdanger said:
12/12 a plant encounters naturally.
2 days of darkness it doesn't, except maybe at the poles in the winter, where and when it would be unlikely to find pot growing outside.

I use a 13/11 light cycle because plants flower well under 13/11 and I believe that this extra bit of light (vs. 12/12) makes the plant more potent, though I can't prove it.

oh marijuana is grown in alaska. my mother used to grow it straight on her roof.
you get a fucked up light schedule. 13/11, that lighting no plant will encounter in say there natural habitat, so it is pointless, instead of 12/12 your going to give an extra hour of light and 2 hours less dark? you do know your plants "reconstruct" during there dark period right?

you do know your plants "reconstruct" during there dark period right?

I agree. Thats why u balance the two out. Hence my fasination about the 13/11. that's like changin them to 10/10. done in 6 weeks instead of 8. although the buds are smaller, the crop is done sooner.

krashdoobs said:
I agree. Thats why u balance the two out. Hence my fasination about the 13/11. that's like changin them to 10/10. done in 6 weeks instead of 8. although the buds are smaller, the crop is done sooner.

Are you saying set the timer to turn lights on/off every ten hours?
And those were your results when you tried it or thats what you would expect if you did try it?

I wouldnt' mind seein the effects of that. But I've always heard that the plant needs at least 12 hrs uninterrupted darkness to flower.

Dank,

Would it be better than to try 11/13 since the dark period is when the auxin isn't being suppressed, and the plant is reconstructing?

wont going 10/10 totally f*ck with them?

Nope, just give you smaller periods of night and day, hence making the buds smaller. You just need to find a digital 7 day timer or a 30 hour timer that will regulate such awkard lighting.

Are you saying set the timer to turn lights on/off every ten hours?
And those were your results when you tried it or thats what you would expect if you did try it?

Yes turn them off every ten. Taking 4 hours off everyday, eventually saving approx 2 weeks. I haven't tried it myself, although I know people who have and that's their results.

krashdoobs said:
Yes turn them off every ten. Taking 4 hours off everyday, eventually saving approx 2 weeks. I haven't tried it myself, although I know people who have and that's their results.

Word. Thats an ill technique if it works. But I'm weary of that light schedule.

I mean, my lights would be ON 6am, Off 4pm, On 2am, Off 12pm, On 10pm, off 8 am, on 6pm....etc.

But I could see how that could sort of shock a plant into a reaction of some sort..perhaps finishing earlier, like you said. Will you be doing that with a grow?

Will you be doing that with a grow?

Not this grow, but maybe next. I just ordered some Northern Skunk and I'm not sure I want to try out the 10/10 with that strain. But eventually I would like to see if it works.

DankCloset said:
oh marijuana is grown in alaska. my mother used to grow it straight on her roof.
you get a fucked up light schedule. 13/11, that lighting no plant will encounter in say there natural habitat, so it is pointless, instead of 12/12 your going to give an extra hour of light and 2 hours less dark? you do know your plants "reconstruct" during there dark period right?

I don't know where you live, but if you never have 13 hours of daylight followed by 11 hours of darkness, it ain't earth.
You don't understand how budding works. It governed by a hormone always present in the plant. During veg the hormone is kept at low levels by long days. When the night times get long enough (and 11 hours is long enough), budding will begin and continue as long as the dark cycle, be it 11 or 12 hours continue.
If plants need darkness to "reconstruct", how do you explain the fact that, for 15 years, I've grown dozens of crops on a 24/0 veg cycle?

Timers--at least the cheap ones--cannot be programmed on a 10/10 cycle.
You could do it with a digital one, but you'd need to recalibrate weekly.

And if you did, and IF it shortened the time the plant needs to finish, it wouldn't be as potent as a 12/12 (or 13/11) cycle, because light supplies energy. Less light--less potent buds.
If your theory worked, people would bud their plants out on a 1/1 cycle, and finish in less than a week.

vicyclops said:
How would a plant due if instead of going straight to 12/12 you go down an hour a day. For example start at 18/6, then 17/7, then 16/8, then 15/9, 14/10, 13/11, then finally 12/12. Compared to nature, this is more realistic. Has anyone ever done this, how was the yeild?
good Q's...

vicyclops said:
How would a plant due if instead of going straight to 12/12 you go down an hour a day. For example start at 18/6, then 17/7, then 16/8, then 15/9, 14/10, 13/11, then finally 12/12. Compared to nature, this is more realistic. Has anyone ever done this, how was the yeild?

My friend B tried it, cutting the light by 30 minutes daily.
He said the only difference was that it took the plants longer to start flowering.
How much uninterrupted darkness it takes for the flowering hormone to build up to the level to induce flowering I'm sure varies by strain. I've always used a 13/11 cycle and never failed to have a plant bud yet.

Note: Outdoors the autmnal equinox (12/12 light cycle) isn't until late Sept. (Sept 23 this year). Yet most plants start budding way before that.

I went directly from 24/7 to 13/11 in the tenth week of vegging, pistol began showing the 2nd day of the 13/11 cycle. I then dropped it to 12/12 during the 2nd week, continuing this schedule to the present. As a new grower, I based this on what I've read from more experienced growers on this site. It would be impossible for me to state that my bag seed buds have benefited without a bench mark, but I can say my plant is healthy, green, and developing some great looking buds covered in lavender pistols (5th wk of flower).

Back
Top Bottom