Does glass crack in the freezer?

KayMarie

I was going to but this pipe with some sort of anti freeze liquid in it.The guy told me it wouldnt crack and it gave you a smoother hit.Well I just thought I could put my pipe in the freezer,though it doesnt have liquid in it,it is super thick and looks indestructable.If I put it in the freezer could it crack?

Definitely do not use anti-freeze in your pipe....plus I'm not sure how could you clean out the anti-freeze while keeping the temperature of the glass
very cold...not that it matters as it's something I wouldn't consider. There are types of glass that can withstand going from hot to cold/cold to hot without
cracking/breaking, depending on the temperatures involved. I've never tried putting a regular glass pipe in the freezer, but I have used the "cool whip"
technique with my Vaporbrothers whip.
Apparently it's scientific glass which can go from the freezer to the vaporizer without cracking, and I've done this numerous times without any trouble.
All of that being said, it's always good to research and verify what kinds of glass can handle the stress of going from one extreme to the other. If you're
not sure what type of glass you have, I'd refrain from experimenting. Side note, I'm using the hands free vaporizer, but I've used it as both non and
hands-free while trying out the cool whip method....neither has had any problems. Time in freezer 20-30 minutes.

i doubt that putting your pipe in the freezer will make your pipe break. if there is water in it and its left freezing for too long then itll def break. a glass pipe alone shouldnt be harmed.
its not anti freeze that you put in your car thats in the pipe, its a gelatin like substance that gets cold but doesnt expand. its a lot like this stuff \/\/
13733.jpg

Looks like I need to research all the various terms and what they all mean. :laughtwo: I'm learning a lot of information on this site :thanks: for expanding my knowledge green monkey.
Though I still wouldn't put that in a pipe...just need the right kind of glass.

so if its designed to go into a freezer, by all means do so;
DSC051081.JPG
ill21a.jpg

these tubes go into a freezer without the bowl piece, bringing the glycerine around the coil to a freezing temp without it freezing; cooling the smoke. so again i would not put anything into the freezer u plan on putting flame to.

p.s. also besides cracking, when the bowl is coming back to room temp it will sweat getting your bud wet, even tho your pipe didnt break thats a moral sin on its own.

I use a borosilicate "steamroller" type pipe, a first i just held ice cubes against it which cools the smoke nicely, then i started putting the pipe in the freezer, i left it in all night, and used a jet lighter on it - fully expecting it to crack, but it didn't...

If glass is properly annealed it should be resistant to temperature changes. There are even certain pipes that are made for this purpose, one of the coolest of which is the Glitter Pipe from Dream Glass. They even have a glow in the dark piece.

Back
Top Bottom