Dumb question, but how do I build an 18" fluorescent fixture?

Yeah, I know. But the holes in my memory - and mind in general - are growing larger, and I realized that I cannot remember this simple thing. I ordered a replacement UV bulb (an 18", 15-watt ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube) for my big hybrid LED panel a while back, but I'm not going to be using that for a while - so I decided that I should hang that bulb in my 39"x39" grow tent.

It's not feasible to simply hang the hybrid LED panel in there; it weighs over 30 pounds and is as big as a <BLEEPING> house, lol. Okay, it's not that big (although it IS that heavy) - but it's pretty large. "I used to cannibalize 4' shop lights and use the parts to mount the bulbs closely together on planks, so I'll just build my own 18" fixture - it'll be simple," I thought. Then I discovered that I have NO memory of what was inside those old 4' shop lights :rolleyes: .

I know I'll need the two things to "clip" the bulb into. A ballast. Some wire. Starter, maybe. But IDK specifics. And I went searching (via the Internet) yesterday for possible ballast candidates and... I sure hope that I was looking at the wrong type of ballast or something, because they all seemed to cost more than a complete 18" double-bulb fixture ought to retail for (IMHO) if I could even find one, WtF?

I thought about disassembling the hybrid LED panel and using the relevant components from it, but I really don't want to go that route. I've got a little single-bulb "lasts for years but is disposable" fluorescent lamp in my basement that finally stopped lighting up at all last month after a few months of "comes on... goes off... comes back on... goes off again" behavior. Maybe I can use parts from that? It looks to be about the same general length, but might be "one size up or down" from an 18", IDFK. There's also an old twin-bulb 4' fluorescent fixture in my mother's basement from when we changed the lighting a few years ago, but I'm guessing that its ballast (et cetera?) would be too large.

Can anyone walk me through this? Preferably including specific part numbers / recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

I know I'll need the two things to "clip" the bulb into. A ballast. Some wire. Starter, maybe. But IDK specifics. And I went searching (via the Internet) yesterday for possible ballast candidates and... I sure hope that I was looking at the wrong type of ballast or something, because they all seemed to cost more than a complete 18" double-bulb fixture ought to retail for (IMHO) if I could even find one, WtF?

I found the same thing when I upgraded my lights from T12 to T8. It was cheaper to buy a low cost fixture than a ballast. and move the ballast over. Most of the ballasts today have a built in starter, if they are even needed. They are packed with electronics rather than a transformer.

18" 15W you say... Hmm... Let me check...
I have a brand new 15W fixture here for a single 24" tube (ballast included :cheesygrinsmiley:). You can have it for the shipping cost. PM me if you want it, and I'll let you know what that is.

Thanks for the offer, but my bulb is only 18" long :( . States on package 18", T8, 15-watt. Guess maybe I bought a "weird size," but that's the size I needed for my other LED panel and I only had enough for the one bulb by that point. My original intention was to buy that bulb, then when I got everything else I needed for this grow, to buy a four-foot version, which would have fit/worked in a fluorescent fixture that I already have.

Just ran out of money before I got to the end of the list, that's all. My life in one sentence, lol.

Thanks for the offer, but my bulb is only 18" long :( . States on package 18", T8, 15-watt. Guess maybe I bought a "weird size," but that's the size I needed for my other LED panel and I only had enough for the one bulb by that point. My original intention was to buy that bulb, then when I got everything else I needed for this grow, to buy a four-foot version, which would have fit/worked in a fluorescent fixture that I already have.

Just ran out of money before I got to the end of the list, that's all. My life in one sentence, lol.

The ballast and ends are there. You could either cut the fixture down, or remount the components. The ballast is an Advance Optanium IOP-1P32-LW-SC. The label says it's for F32T8, F25T8, F17T8, and 48" T12s in 30W, 28W, and 25W sizes.

There is no starter required with this ballast. It has only one wire going to each end of the tube, and three wires for power (including ground). It's rated for 120-277VAC single phase.

Back
Top Bottom