Fresh grower! Confused about lights

PrincessPot

Hi! im a fresh, new grower and i was hoping someone could explain lights,ballast, etc. I've done hours of research but i still don't quite get it.

I have 3 metal halide bulbs and currently growing only one plant so i don't need a seriously huge fixture. the first seedling days i used a fluorescent tube (for aquariums and such) and now two weeks later she's under a compact fluorescent in a clamp lamp.

In order to use my metal halides I understand i cant use them with my lamp so I must purchase a ballast? Can anyone help to explain why and where to purchase one inexpensively. Also if i have to purchase a ballast how would i go about installing it? I know this sounds pathetic to all you veteran growers but I just don't understand. Help?

Hey my friend I use a local grow shop Rhode Island finest indoor gardening store - Hydro-Earth for al my lightimg needs. A ballast is just a heavy box filled with copper windings (magnetic ballasts) and an ignitor or starter that lights the bulb initially. To install one you simply plug it into a wall socket that can handle the draw. A 1k light pulls 8.5 amps so most standard 14 gauge or 12gauge electrical wire can handle it, or any plug that is rated at least 15amps at the breaker but 20amps is preferrable. Any more questions let us know?

Back
Top Bottom