Dumb Question?

Inasad

Would it be possible to grow in a snake tank? Or at least start growing? The tank is 40 gallons about 16 inches high with a temperature around 78-90 degrees F with humidity around 40-60%. Light is on for 12 hours a day.

You could but a reptile light may not be the correct spectrum for good vegetative growth. Also your plants would be better served if the container they were in was not clear as the light will pass through and not reflect back to the plant. To maximize the light it is best to surround the plant's area with a material that will reflect as much of the light as possible in a diffuse manor. Flat white paint works great as well as mylar or white polyvinyl. A mirror is not a great choice nor is tin foil as they are reflective but not very diffuse. They may concentrate light and create hot spots and damage the plant. If you must use tin foil use the dull side not the shiny side. :peace:

:cool:I would keep the temp around 75 degrees any thing higher will cause slow growth ! And U need good air exchange and I dont think a snake tank will do exactly what u r looking r !:yummy:

Why not do it?
Use a carton and place the light on realiable base and go grow. There isn't a smell and it's been done. I have seen the pictures here in this forum. :)

with the right equipment you can grow a plant just about anywhere. 16 inches of height will be a challenge, as well as air circulation in a sealed tank like this with somewhat high temps. Why are you fixated on using the tank and not just making another setup? If you use just the snake light you will not get good yields. Quantity and quality will be greatly diminished.

If you want a great grow you need to center your setup around a great light source with good ventilation, good soil, and nutrients (or a hydro setup). Search around and you will see what you need to accomplish this. Start with getting a book on growing. It will get you started with the basics for each aspect of a grow. Reach out to specific forums on this site for each of your specific questions and you will get help in those areas. Do a search for "1st grow" and you will see tons of peoples' first attempts and see where the common beginner issues are and hopefully avoid them by reading other peoples trials and tribulations.

The average grow takes about 3 months or so, do you want to put that much time in for an eighth of smokable pot? Probably not so do it right the first time. DO research if you want to be serious about it. And plan on spending a little money. I little research up front and some money spent on the right equipment will go a long way and pay for itself in no time. Good luck

The problem is that I don't have my own place yet. That's why a snake tank would be good, it's discrete. I don't have to do it there, it's just the only indoor place I could do it. I will have to do it outside but it's way too cold for that so I'll have to wait. Thanks anyway guys.

Do you mean it wouldn't get the job done, or it wouldn't be the best I've ever smoked?

He means it would be a lot of work for very little return. Some have grown plants in such a small area, but obviously the plants were small as well. In this case it's probably better to just do it right the first time, otherwise you could spend months growing a small and probably unhealthy plant and end up with very little yield that wouldn't be all that great a product. There are much better methods to growing stealthily, if you could get away with growing in a reptile tank, why couldn't you get away with something a little larger, in your closet or something? You couldn't really fool anyone into believing your plants are reptiles...so you must have SOMEWHERE to hide it, ya?

The reason why a reptile tank is good is because I keep it covered up to keep the humidity in, so nobody sees in it anyway. I have no other place to do this, and I was only planning on starting the plants out in the reptile tank and then moving them outside.

Back
Top Bottom