thekipsiest

Good evening and happy new year . my name is Tes im new to the site and am looking for a little help. I've been reading all over the internet several websites give seven different answers. Seems to me growing isn't black and white and you just have to jumo in and get your hands dirty to really learn. So my set up is
Top fed dwc
450watt advanced platinum led
30 gall res
Four plants, BlackBerry dream by elev8 seeds
Ph 6.4 currently but have been checking daily and monitoring between 5.5-6.5
Temp water 70 i know 68 is ideal
Using generalhydroflora trio nutes and hydroguard
Ppm is 220 and seems two plants have the slightest yellowing tips ? I've read its nute burn in the earliest stages, water level was low so i topped off with a few gal of ph water no addtl nutes. I tried to self educate prior to set up as opposed to the lazier ask basic question folk when you can Google and get a straight answer but seeing as this is situational and i can't think of what to change can there really be nute burn at 220ppm? Seems im reading a lot of journals with higher ppm and no issue.

I was hoping to post a photo but it says posting attachments isn't one of my permissions or i haven't fully learned my way around the site but my profile photo the left and right leaf tips are what im speaking of in question. Anyway any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Hi kipsiest -- How old is the plant? I'm thinking that maybe 220 PPM might be a problem for a tiny seedling, but I think I've given mine that much without problems. 220 PPM isn't very concentrated at all.

Are you giving the GH nutes in the recommended ratio? Obviously you aren't giving them at the recommended concentration (which is a good thing) or I'd expect your PPMs to be higher.

30 gallon res? You could swim in that! ;) :thumb:

You can post photos now, and a photo would help. (Yes, yellow tips are not a good sign.): Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
You just can't send private messages until your 50th post.

Scientific-
Good afternoon thank you for taking the time.
I dropped germinated seeds in rapid rooters in hydroton filled net pots with top feed on Dec 19th.
I wasn't going to add any nutes id read some people don't add anything for the first few weeks. The roots are developed down into the water and they have their first three finger leaves so i figured I'd be okay following the seedling dose on the bottle 1/4tsp -gal and i added the hydroguard as well at recommended 2ml -gal. The next day I had purchased the tds meter and saw it was only 220ppm but upon seeing the yellow tips figured i definitely shouldn't up the concentration .

30 gall is a bitch to change I have to invest in a pump. I had the ten gal in my hand and when talking about the idea of manifolding and trying to have a few large plants figured I'd get the 30 so they'd have more room..not sure a last minute plan change in the store
..didn't think about changing the res i almost DID swim in it! Need to invest in water pump lol
IMG]https://i66.tinypic.com/2cfqno5.jpg[/IMG]

Scientific-
Good afternoon thank you for taking the time.
I dropped germinated seeds in rapid rooters in hydroton filled net pots with top feed on Dec 19th.
I wasn't going to add any nutes id read some people don't add anything for the first few weeks. The roots are developed down into the water and they have their first three finger leaves so i figured I'd be okay following the seedling dose on the bottle 1/4tsp -gal and i added the hydroguard as well at recommended 2ml -gal. The next day I had purchased the tds meter and saw it was only 220ppm but upon seeing the yellow tips figured i definitely shouldn't up the concentration .

30 gall is a bitch to change I have to invest in a pump. I had the ten gal in my hand and when talking about the idea of manifolding and trying to have a few large plants figured I'd get the 30 so they'd have more room..not sure a last minute plan change in the store
..didn't think about changing the res i almost DID swim in it! Need to invest in water pump lol
IMG]https://i66.tinypic.com/2cfqno5.jpg[/IMG]

Even five gallons is a pain without a pump! I have a small aquarium in-tank pump now that empties my res at 1 liter/minute. It's slow, but it does the job. Beware of pumping out a 30 gallon res into a 5 gallon bucket-turn your back for a minute and it's overflowing!

A siphon can work if the drain is low enough.

thank you ill get to scooping and get a new batch worked up with less nutes . i have to figure out exactly what my setup is going to be. I have a 7 by 8 ft growspace with panda down the center as a divider. Ideally I'd like to have perpetual harvest. Have you used rdwc bucket systems? I haven't seen those dwc systems with anything bigger than a 5 gallon bucket im wondering just how big a plant can get in that sized bucket..
One 30 gal is a headache nevermind several of them.
This sounds like an idiotic question i apologize but white light should i just put a flash on my camera or install a cfl light in the grow room for future photos?
Thank you for your help

Hi -- I tried to grow a dwarf in about 3 gallons, but the roots got so big that I went to 5 gallons, and even then I put in a circulation pump to help because the res was so choked with roots. Also, and importantly, a small res is less stable for temperature and especially ph. Based on my limited experience, I think that 10 gallons per plant is about ideal. Maybe that's overkill. I do love hydro and think it's the best, but right now I'm growing in coco because it's so EASY.

As for "white light," I just meant that it's hard to evaluate a plant in the pinkish-blue "blurple" light. CFL works fine, or flash. Just so the color looks sort of normal, you know? ;)

Back
Top Bottom