DWC for 1 plant - Alien 55L Bubbler ( first choice ) vs Aquafarm vs Autopot vs ???

JV Growers

420 Member
Hi guys & gals,

I would like to setup a grow tent for 1 plant in DWC for an old person ( over 73 years old, so the maintenance has to be very easy, and a DYI solution is not practical ), using the Lighthouse Max 0,76 m2 tent model, but I am hesitating as there are few products available even for those 1 pot DWC system.

For the moment, my first choice would be the Alien Hydro Bubbler as it has a tank of 55L which is better for the root.
With smaller tank, there are also the Autopot, Aquafarm, and some Oxypots models.

So I have some questions :

1. how easy is it to access/view the roots in the Alien system ? is there an access or do we have to totally lift the upper lid ? Is the upper lid inserted into the lower part ?

2. how easy is it to totally empty the Alien ( ex : on the Oxypot XL, when only one plant is grown, then you can easily check and access the tank from the 2 unused holes) but that model is too wide for the tent ).
In the Alien model, is it possible to use the level tube, located on the side, to connect an external water pump and FULLY empty the tank from there ?

3. which system would make it the easiest to introduce a heater and a water pump in the tank ? is there enough space to make rooms/drill for additional cables/pipes heater cable under the lid ? is the plastic thick enough to be drilled ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
J&V

An opinion from a DiY-selfer:

over 73 years old, so the maintenance has to be very easy, and a DYI solution is not practical

which system would make it the easiest to introduce a heater and a water pump in the tank ? is there enough space to make rooms/drill for additional cables/pipes heater cable under the lid ? is the plastic thick enough to be drilled ?

It seems like you are stating that you do not want a DIY type setup... but you want a DIY type setup :confused: .

Your biggest issue with any kind of DWC setup will be that water weighs approximately 8.35 pounds per US gallon, larger reservoirs often outperform smaller ones, and you are wanting a "one-plant" solution - which means a lengthier vegetative cycle (I assume) in order to ensure the gardener does not end up with a plant at harvest time that only uses a fraction of the space (and lighting) provided for it.

In "US terms" (lol), that's a 6¼ square feet grow space. You absolutely can fill that space with a single plant, using a DWC hydroponic grow method. I used to do this with eight square foot or slightly larger grow spaces, using reservoirs of about 23-gallon gross capacity. Again, with a somewhat longer vegetative growth period than seems to be the norm (and growing SCROG style, which is something that I probably wouldn't recommend to a first-time cannabis grower in their 70s). I learned immediately just how heavy a mostly full reservoir of that size is, lol, and how important a pump can be. I usually just used a hand-siphon liquid transfer pump because... poor, but I strongly suggest some kind of electric pump.

I did most everything "DiY," and to be honest with you, my motivation was financial. But, afterwards, I realized that not only had I saved hundreds of dollars... I ended up with a setup that was at least as good as a commercial one - and customized to my needs.

A sturdy "Rubbermaid" (type) tote, a good aquarium air pump and set of (disposable, it turns out, lol) air stones, the line required to connect them to the air pump, and (important, IMHO!) an aquarium power head for real aeration (and continual mixing), a round hole cut in the center of the lid, sized for some sort of "net pot" (I used the largest size Solo cups available and just drilled LOTS of 1/4" sized holes in them, but...) and Bob's your uncle as they say. Add in some kind of small pump for emptying the reservoir (and, perhaps, even for filling it). Nutrients, pH adjuster(s), and a plant. Spend the substantial savings in your budget on something to aid the gardener with the grow. A padded kneeler, some sort of contraption to aid in getting down and back up after tending to the plant, et cetera.

Back
Top Bottom