DWC RO water a necessity?

Matrix848484

Hey guys ive been trying dwc and never really much success Ive attached some pictures the plants been growing for a month , here my vitals

Strain White widow
Setup Dwc
Ppm 800ppm
Water temps 20 c water chiller
Humidity 50 c
PH 5.5
Light 1000w mh dimmable @ 600w
Air diskes stoned with a lot of bubbles

Is it because I'm using tap water (70ppm)

Would love the help , thanks guys.

P. S Let's grow !

20220703_103905.jpg

20220703_103900.jpg

20220703_103751.jpg

20220703_103729.jpg

20220703_103714.jpg

Drop your water some let the roots stretch I run 5.8-5.9 and have no issues I usually start dwc in spray cloner then transfer as soon as they shoot roots . Ppm I guess that depends on the system 400-500 early then ramp as she rockets

Yes drop your water below the net make them work for it
What nutrients are you running less is more on babys
You tap water is pretty good mine is like 140
Are you adding cal mag that will help

I use my well water at 80-100ppm with no problem. Shoot for 5.8pH. Also I would add hydroguard or h202 even with the chiller.

Hello,

Your water is excellent and might even be in need of some cal-mag, now as others have pointed out you do need to lower the volume of water in your setup. Furthermore, now that your plant has roots that are below the net pot, you should not use the recirculation into your expanded clay stones. Recently however, I accomplished the seedling stage and early veg while having my net pots touching the water's surface. This was only possible with Beneficial's added to the water and abundant oxygen. Removing the waterfall will cause the clay to dry out and force the plant to establish more roots.

Now, it may be the light, but I think your roots have root rot. The slimy brown coating on them and the stunted growth with zero hairs expanding out from the roots. Something is clearly wrong, and I assume it has to do with light lead, lack of air, or sanitation.

Here is a comparison of our root systems, this is early seedling stage
5811447_grow-journal-by-addonexusilgmwhite-widow-fem.jpg
5811448_grow-journal-by-addonexusilgmwhite-widow-fem.jpg

This is slightly later and Bok Choy roots that I started with a nylon wick attached to the medium so it wouldn't suffocate.

20220625_041027.jpg
20220624_120832.jpg
20220624_121103.jpg
20220625_040938.jpg

Finally, a more developed root system same plants just week one of veg

20220703_042400.jpg

As you can see the roots are white and have hairs protruding out which is essentially the root expanding.

If it were me, I would restart this project with a sanitized system and ample amounts of air. I understand that time and money may be of a concern, however your ladies are already stress and likely stunted. The root system could in theory have had its tap root break off. Which would instead fill the clay pebbles before dropping well below the net cup. However, going back to the brown slimy substance on your roots, again I'd say its root rot.

Additionally, I would sanitize all of your system that you cannot replace with chlorine water for roughly a few hours to a few days; followed by a good scrubbing with the attempt to remove any remaining residue. Please note that your system is not ready to go at this point, you should re check the surfaces to ensure that they are free of debris and allow everything to dry for two to five days. The two being the tubs and open large surfaces think tubs. The five days for your pump and stones to ensure that the internals are dry, and the chlorine has had time to evaporate.

Next, I would add a layer of spray paint to the surface of the buckets, something like a flat black primer. Once that dries, go over it with a layer of white semi-gloss spray paint. I can guarantee if you hold your lid to the light, you can see light through it. Getting back to the air pump, if you are using a basic say tetra fish tank pump that is not enough. You're effectively using about three to five liters per minute of air versus somewhere in the ballpark of 18 to 20. There are calculators online which will help you convert gallons per hour to liters per minute. I run something in the ballpark of a 237 gallon per hour air pump. If you solve for light leak, air/circulation, and water temperature which should be below 75, you will effectively greatly reduce your chances of mucking up your roots in the future. You could also invest in some type of rhizosphere product, just search for what cures root rot and I'm sure you will run into a few products. I hope some of this helps, and apologize that there's no TL:DR adaptation, but I should have saved you a few web searches. This current grow is in my signature so feel free to stop by and ask some questions if you feel the need.

Getting back to the air pump, if you are using a basic say tetra fish tank pump that is not enough. You're effectively using about three to five liters per minute of air versus somewhere in the ballpark of 18 to 20.

And the air pump is only part of it. A larger pump won't help if the capacity of the "emitter devices," together, is not comparable.

Hey thanks guys Ive got a bigger air stone and will set up the new system as soon as my new blueberry skunk seeds geminate and I'll let yous know how it goes ?? Thanks again

P.s Let's grow !

Back
Top Bottom