Effort to Get Legalization Measure on Ballot Grows

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The campaign aiming to tax and regulate marijuana through the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act ( OCTA ) is circulating petitions to get the measure on the ballot for November's general election.

By creating a committee to oversee the taxation and regulation of marijuana, OCTA would effectively decriminalize the cultivation, possession and personal use of marijuana in Oregon. The measure would be the first law of its kind in the nation.

However, OCTA advocate Matt Switzer said cannabis regulation is a nascent movement, with Californians set to vote on the legalization of cannabis in November and Washington and Oregon cannabis legalization advocates in a similar predicament: scrambling to pool enough signatures to give the proposals life on election day.

OCTA supporters admit they have a long way to go before the measure can be brought to the ballot for a vote.

"The proposed initiative needs 100,000 signatures by July before it can be placed on the November ballot," Switzer said. "We have less than 5,000 signatures."

OCTA supporters reference an alliance they have with Law Enforcement Against Prohibition to fortify their case against the current criminalization of cannabis.

LEAP Executive Director Jack Cole, a 26-year New Jersey state police officer, said the injustice perpetuated by the current marijuana law has him fighting in California to assure the passage of cannabis legalization.

"When you prohibit any drug, you create an underground market for that drug, and that attracts criminal activity," Cole said. "Marijuana -- it's just a weed; it has zero value until we say it's illegal, then the price artificially inflates, becomes so obscenely high, that up until about a year ago when the economy took a turn, marijuana was worth more, ounce for ounce, than gold."

Cole said movements toward taxing and regulating cannabis were fighting for ballot measures in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Nevada, California, Washington and Oregon.

The changes proposed by OCTA would not interfere with current medical marijuana laws defined by the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act. Switzer said the proposal, which would be ballot measure 73 if enough signatures are gathered come July, does not yet face any organized opposition, but opposition will probably develop if the proposal gains traction in the state.

"There will most likely be some backlash from those agencies who will likely see a decrease in revenue, along with marijuana farmers who may see the exorbitant price they charge decrease as the black market no longer will have a monopoly on the plant," Switzer said.

Cole predicted opposition would stem from law enforcement agencies, who he said receive 20 percent of their current budget from state revenue provided for the war on drugs. Switzer said the challenge precluding the revolutionary changes proposed by OCTA is not only opposition from without, but hesitation from within.

"Stoners are chronically bad at engaging with the political process, and many have reservations signing their names and addresses endorsing the legalization of a substance the government has for years lied about," he said. "We are trying to stress that this is a civil rights issue and that American citizens should not be imprisoned because of harmless beliefs and actions simply because someone saw they could make money from persecuting a large portion of the country."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Oregon Daily Emerald
Copyright: 2010 Oregon Daily Emerald
Author: Ian Geronimo

i just read an article about a state attorney general requesting petition signatures for review. Is it not the job of the voting commission to review and certify registered voters on a particular petition? Why would the Atty. Gen. need this info except to compile a list of sympathetic voters for criminal review? THIS IS POLICE STATE BULL S--T!!!!!!!!!!
There is two articles here that I just finished reading , one on Health Care( in which Obama wants YOUR DOCTOR to do routine drug screens, the other was about ramping up cannabis prosecution from existing laws already on the books(cannabis metabolites)
I have several rants on this site explaining my thoughts and beliefs on the subject so I won't rant here.

I have only one Question
I have long been a supporter of my gov., Why do they want to imprison me ,take away all my god given rights(it is my body after all) for doing something that has never caused me to harm anyone or harm myself???
I just don't get it
If they want my money take it
If they want something else Go FK yourself.
I was born into this body and it is mine!!!
I have not injured anyone ever because(for) cannabis, but I have an AK by my bed and if my door gets kicked in(in the middle of the night) Someone will go to see there maker over an 1/8 of schwag. Not because of the schwag, but for my civil rights being trampled on!!!

Not that I would shoot someone ever, Unless they broke my door down in the middle of the night threatening me or my family.
Oh wait a minute that is what a drug raid is(sorry) you cowards,
Seriously, now Obama wants doctors to do routine drug screens on their patients, and states to ramp up mj metabolite prosecutions for DUID(really)
What are we going to have to do pee in a cup when pulled over???
I really didn't believe my right wing brother when he said Obama was just another Police stateist, but now I believe him.
Sorry for going off topic, but it is important that the people know that signing a petition could lead to an investigation of themselves( isn't that what they(gov.) really want anyway, sit down ,shut up, and do what I say!!! and do not dare saying what you believe in by signing a petition to alleviate my control over you or you will pay!!!)
just my 2 cents.

O.K
So after medicating with some tasty blueberry and spending about 2 hours pulling weeds in my garden I have to re-cant my above statement. Not that I do not think that this "war" is ridiculous and cannot ever be won, but that I nor anyone of my circle should ever perish due to the mis-guided, militaristic efforts of our Government attempts to control what I fell like putting in my body.

God Bless America
I love her and her Cannibis planting founders (Washington, Jefferson, Ben Franklin, John Adams, Henry Ford who loved the plant should be in there too)
I love our country and would gladly die for it, but will not die for cannabis, although others regrettably have.

Back
Top Bottom