Electricity

Baja Big Dog

How much electricity is everyone using above "normal" growing their bud?

Im running my lights at 220 volts, at a 1000 watts, figured it isnt gonna bring on a whole lot attention, since its only puling about 6-7 amps max, with fans and pumps running....

Re: Electricity..

I've had energy bills as high as $1300 for 50 plants. Going to a light mover this gro to reduce my usage.....

voltage is immaterial when considering energy usage. you're not payin for amps, but watts.

right, but using 220 is better for more watts. i use a 1000 hps 12/12---400 mh 18/6---small set of t5-124watts 24 hrs--- so this will be about 150-175. this bill will be lower than the 22hr/day 1000 mh=$220.02. A buddy went from 1400 watts @ 120 the bill was 185---then he went to 220 with 3500 watts and the bill was 175... so ifs thats any help!

right, but using 220 is better for more watts. i use a 1000 hps 12/12---400 mh 18/6---small set of t5-124watts 24 hrs--- so this will be about 150-175. this bill will be lower than the 22hr/day 1000 mh=$220.02. A buddy went from 1400 watts @ 120 the bill was 185---then he went to 220 with 3500 watts and the bill was 175... so ifs thats any help!

not true my friend. electricity is billed by the kilowatthour, period. watts = amps x volts. no way around it, x amount of watts is x amount of watts.

Here's an example. A 1kw lite (or 10-100w lites) running for one hour is one kilowatthour. If you ran the same 1kw lite @ 120vac the formula is watts/volts=amps. 1000/120=8.3 amps. Watts=amps x volts. 8.3 x 120 = 1000 watts. Run @ 240vac is 1000/240=4.16 amps. 4.16 x 240 = 1000 watts. So, in either case, you are using the same amount of kwhs. Hope that makes sense. :grinjoint:

One advantage of running 220 is the cost of wiring, if you have an existing 110 line, and attempted to run two 1000 watt lights, your circuit would not take it, and running new wire would be n or near future!!
At 220, the same circuit could be used for both lights, with existing wire, or if your running a new circuit, the wire size would be smaller at 220, compared to 110 v.

DISCLAIMER!!!
I used numbers as examples, do NOT hook up, or run any wiring without first checking the load of the devices you are gonna use!!:focus::focus::focus::oops::oops:

One advantage of running 220 is the cost of wiring, if you have an existing 110 line, and attempted to run two 1000 watt lights, your circuit would not take it, and running new wire would be n or near future!!
At 220, the same circuit could be used for both lights, with existing wire, or if your running a new circuit, the wire size would be smaller at 220, compared to 110 v.

Absolutely! Not to mention that all HID ballasts that are switchable from 110/220 are much less efficient @ 110v than they are @ 220v. :ganjamon:

Baja Big Dog is correct. the 220 uses different size in wire, which runs the power more efficiently. its a matter of the amount of power that your trying to utilize, 1000+ you should probably use the 220, if your under a 1000 w your fine. and yes hog daddy it made sense, the 220 is stricktly more efficiant @ running the higher power. 120v = higher current 220 = lower current, same power used.

there is no way around it. a kw is a kw. but the higher voltage along with lower gauge wire is more efficient due to heat and electron flow.

what about in the ballast itself, is it more efficient to run it at 220 vs 110 if it supports it or is there no real difference?

In the long run, the result of the higher voltage ion the solid state ballast, (like most of them are today) would be less strain on any switching devices, (transistors etc) as the currant is half of the lower voltage device.

I haven't seen any efficiency numbers for the ballast, dont know if many guys publish that, (I had a hell of a time getting the currant numbers for the Lumatek ballast)

Again, the main reason is wiring issues, the 1000 watt ballast (solid state) runs about 9-10 amps, and if your running one light per circuit, most wont have a problem, as most household circuits are rated at 15 amps, you will run into issues when you start adding two lights, and with the addition of pumps, fans etc, the load on a single household circuit would be very difficult, hence, the 220 thing.

You dont want any circuit breakers dropping when your in the middle of a light cycle, or water cycle, without you knowing about it.

In the long run, the result of the higher voltage ion the solid state ballast, (like most of them are today) would be less strain on any switching devices, (transistors etc) as the currant is half of the lower voltage device.

I haven't seen any efficiency numbers for the ballast, dont know if many guys publish that, (I had a hell of a time getting the currant numbers for the Lumatek ballast)

Again, the main reason is wiring issues, the 1000 watt ballast (solid state) runs about 9-10 amps, and if your running one light per circuit, most wont have a problem, as most household circuits are rated at 15 amps, you will run into issues when you start adding two lights, and with the addition of pumps, fans etc, the load on a single household circuit would be very difficult, hence, the 220 thing.

You dont want any circuit breakers dropping when your in the middle of a light cycle, or water cycle, without you knowing about it.
yeah definitely. The reason I'm asking is I have a dedicated 110v circuit wired up for my lights only, and another one for all the other items running in the grow room. I only plan on running 1 600W MH/HPS, so I know the 110 circuit is more than good enough for that, but I was looking to maximize the life of the ballast. I'd rather not wire up a 220v circuit, but if it means my ballast will last longer, I'm all for it.

Back
Top Bottom