Encouraging Stretch When Scrogging?

Muttt

I am into my first grow and have decided to go with Scrog. I build at 4' x 3' x 6' tall grow box and a 600w HPS/MH that is in a 6 inch x 27 inch cool tube. I painted the entire box flat white. Using a 6 inch 500 CFM fan/filter combo on a rheostat. I am using 5 gallon cloth grow bags and organic soil/compost. The screen will sit 10 inches above the pots. This will give me right about 3 1/2 - 4 feet of vertical space in my grow box.

I am under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that by placing the light as high as it will go in my grow box, this will encourage the plants to stretch more to reach the light. By stretching more, this would then make it easier for me to work my plant around and into the screen. Then when I decide it's vegged enough, turn it to 12/12 and move the light closer to the colas to allow more light for flowering. This is my informed opinion from all the reading and research I've been doing lately. Since I am a new grower, I could be way off base. I would appreciate any input from the veteran growers here.

I'll be moving my 12 inch LA Kush, Gran Daddy Purple and Maui Wowie clones into the grow box and under the 600w light on Wednesday (since FEDEX isn't dropping off my ballast till tomorrow). I just want to have some kind of plan in mind before I really get a chance to screw it all up ....... LOL.

howdy Mutt, I would still keep your light as close as you can without burning or bleaching your scroged plants.
that will keep the nodes tighter for more compact buds when you do go to flower.
If you do your training a little after you water she will be more flexible. at least this is how I do it.
dont be afraid to be a little ruff because they really do not mind. sure you will break a couple branches here and there(oh and have a mini heart attack) but just go easy and she will do what you make her do.
try and do most of your training in veg. then when you go to flower she will stretch and keep the canopy fairly even.
here is a pic of my scrog from last wed. it is also the last week of veg, well suday I began flower.
DSC017203.JPG
DSC017185.JPG

That looks really nice. I hope it works out as well on my first go around.

I'am sure yours will be just as sweet.
this is my second and boy did I learn from the first
#1 anything below the screen cut off, that is once you have got yours filled
#2 make sure you have some kind of catch basin under your pots incase you have to do an emergency flush. you will not be able to move the pots once she is growing through the screen. so if you have a 3gallon pot you will need to catch 9gallons of water.
#3 its fun! you can go in sometimes twice a day and move branches as they grow. just bend them under pointing to the next opening and they will grow up and out sometimes overnite. I have bent them 90degrees. they go nuts when you do this.
more shoots grow streight out of the stems. a Lst on steroids LOL.
If you have any question you can visit my journal below. and since I am thinking of it here is a pic of the first just before harvest
DSC016487.JPG

Back
Top Bottom