End Of Show - Pot-Friendly Festival Concludes Sunday

Katelyn Baker

Victorville, California - The mellow, harmonious mood reported during the first two days of a cannabis-friendly festival here appeared to spill over to the third and final day, with law enforcement saying there had been zero arrests as of 5 p.m. Sunday.

In fact, there had not been any "real problems" at Chalice California's Music, Glass, Hash and Art Festival, San Bernardino County Sheriff's spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez said.

"Very peaceful and problem free event so far," she said in an email to the Daily Press.

A deputy on ground level inside the High Desert Event Center could attest to the sentiment: Deputy Chris Dekeyrel described the interaction between law enforcement and the thousands who ascended upon the event center as positive.

"We've had a lot of people coming up to us, chatting with us," he said, adding that many thanked deputies for their service. "I think the crowd's been pretty friendly."

Aidan Kerr, 21, sat at a picnic table with her friend O.G. Garcia, 26.

"Everyone's friendly," Kerr said. "Everyone's just like, 'oh, hey, what's up?"

Touted as the "biggest hash festival in America," the festival drew many from out of region and state, some from as far as Massachusetts.

Jonathan Corrillo, 18, however, made the short trip from Hesperia to attend all three days of festivities.
"It's weed, it's marijuana," he said about the event's core attraction. "You don't see people fighting."

There were a few emergency medical responses reported during the earlier two days for mostly minor issues such as heat exhaustion, authorities said.

Event coordinators projected weekend population to be near 7,000. Corrillo said Sunday's crowd was far smaller than the preceding two days - likely a comedown after Saturday's headliner Wu-Tang Clan drew a massive audience - but that didn't curb anybody's enthusiasm.

A crowd of a hundred or so near the the front of the stage grew as hip hop group PRhyme performed. A white drone drifted overhead, paused and drifted again.

Osbaldo Hernandez, 21, from Orange County came specifically for Wu-Tang Clan, but enjoyed the trio of days. Not staying until midnight when the event officially ends, he was instead "trying to make it home in time so I can get to bed" for work Monday.

Resting up at a hydration center, he said he would return for another Chalice go-around, yet it would also be contingent on the musical offerings.

"If they have a good lineup, I'll come back," he said. "But if not, maybe I'll think twice."

festival.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: End Of Show - Pot-Friendly Festival Concludes Sunday
Author: Shea Johnson
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom