Failed seed?

redboxin

I germinated 6 bag seeds, 3 in paper towel 3 in water. They all seemed to open and start tap roots, so it put them into indoor soil a week ago. They have yet to sprout. They are under two 23 watt 6500k cfls on the 24/0 schedule. I was wondering if they have died or is it just a super slow strain. Do I need more/less light? First timer and frustrated.

might be cool in your room,maybe put a heating pad under them on a low setting.

I would agree with fish cake on this matter !

With some seeds temperature does effect germination ratio, i've learnt this as veggie grower whilst native plants will germinate at lower temps than non native plants which may require higher temp to successfully germinate, this would depend on time of year i would sow seeds out doors.

Now indoors, can be a controlled enviroment to a certian extent & the use of a heated propargator can be benifical to seed germination as when we look at the native enviroment of where MJ comes from would suggest a warmer part of the world, their could be a slight differnece between sativa, indica & ruderalis dominate strains tho...

Their is nothing wrong with the paper towel method of germination if the ambient temps are good enought to make em sprout, but when placed into a cold soil may have adverse effects ?

In the past i mainly used jiffy pellets, root roit cubes for seed propargation, this saves moving a tender seedling with tap root into another growing medium... which should be pretty much sterlie 'n' nutrient free as a seed will have enough energy to support new growth for a couple of weeks if not more !

Before being placed into another growing medium more suitable for young plants & so forth.

A seed requires to soak up some 300% of total mass in moisture before germination occurs cubes, pellets, paper towels should be kept moist at all times.

An ambient temp should be provided for speed & successful germination some where between 18c & 24c should be fine :thumb: this can be created either by a heated propargator or 24/0 lighting which i prefer cfl for germnination, at a height of 5cm to 10cm from soil or cube surface, cfl lights can warm up cubes/pellets/soil for germination tho.

Once first dicotyledon leafs have appeared aka baby leafs, lighting should be changed to include a dark peroid !

Plants require a dark period to do hormone stuff etc its only natural...

Don't go sticking seeds into preloaded nutrient growing mediums/compost this will only burn them !

A suitable sterile growing medium for seedlings should be used or a suitable grow cube/pellet... No nutrients are required for this process.

could also be that the lights are too close and are drying your medium faster. once im in soil i water lightly twice a day right on the location of the seed. I guess ive been lucky but never had germination issues

Back
Top Bottom