Couple Q's, Beginner appreciates it!

keeganmichael

Hello everyone, I have a small grow space (3x2x4)
Firstly I will share some info regarding germination: For two seeds I used the paper towel method with bottled water that had been warmed up a little. I let those sit for 24 hours and then checked them, no sign of cracking open. That evening, I took my other last 2 seeds to try the soaking method. I kept reading that warmer water was best for the seedlings so I took a shot glass and put room temp bottled water, put the shot glass in a small tupperware and filled the area round it with fairly hot water. I put the seeds in the shot glass and covered it all with aluminum foil. 24 hours later, I check the paper towel seeds first and they actual have sprouted a root. The shot glass seeds have sunk to the bottom. I planted the two paper towel seeds in separate very small pots, and then... I guess because for some reason I didn't have faith in the soaking method I planted the soaked ones in a larger pot but both in the same one. okay, well the first surprising thing was that both the soaked seeds, 48 hours later popped up above the surface! (they are about an inch tall) One of the paper towel seeds hasn't showed up yet, and the other I can just barely see at the surface. Right after I panted them all I put ziploc bags over them for humidity - seemed good at least for the twins in the same pot. Ok so here finally are my questions! Would it be a terrible idea to keep the two twins in the same pot? I had planted them in a pot about 7 or 8 times the size of a jiffy cup, so obviously there will be ample room for at least a little while, and then I could transplant them together into a much bigger pot when the time came? If one ended up male I could just cut him down because I don't have space to grow it separate anyway. Or should I just get them separated into different pots asap? Secondly I hear that a soft breeze onto the little sprouts will help gain strength, but obviously I can't do that with the humidity bags over them, Which is more important? Also, if I should leave the bags on, until they are how big? Start organic nutrients after 2 weeks/sooner/later?
thanks a lot.

30 views and no responses?
Well little update, 1 seed still hasn't showed up above the surface. The other paper towel germinated sprout looks weak and dying, its bent over a bit... There is one healthy looking sprout in the planter which had the other sprout, but for some reason the other one just shriveled and died (no comeback for that one I don't think)

I have humidity covers over them, and the ones that died seemed to do so when I left the cover off one day. How big until you think its safe to keep the humidity dome off?

Also last question - I have only cfls right now (4 26 watt) what kind of bulb (lumens/color spectrum/etc) would be good for an overall veg to flower bulb that would make a helpful addition?

Please give me a response even if you just have an opinion on it, im interested in hearing - otherwise Ill just keep talking to myself lol

30 views and no responses?
Well little update, 1 seed still hasn't showed up above the surface. The other paper towel germinated sprout looks weak and dying, its bent over a bit... There is one healthy looking sprout in the planter which had the other sprout, but for some reason the other one just shriveled and died (no comeback for that one I don't think)

I have humidity covers over them, and the ones that died seemed to do so when I left the cover off one day. How big until you think its safe to keep the humidity dome off?

Also last question - I have only cfls right now (4 26 watt) what kind of bulb (lumens/color spectrum/etc) would be good for an overall veg to flower bulb that would make a helpful addition?

Please give me a response even if you just have an opinion on it, im interested in hearing - otherwise Ill just keep talking to myself lol

OK, I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions.

I have never used a humidity dome, once I get a sprout I put them in soil and presto!

From reading your thread I think maybe too much light and too much heat?

I usually start my plants off with one CFL, its daylight 6400k with around 1800 lumens. I've got 4 in cups right now I'm trying to train before transplanting so they will be growing in a certain direction. a Little fan blows away the evil heat.

After reading on this site they say to start with 6400k bulbs and then when you flower to switch to the soft white. I use both when they get bigger than my fist and just keep using an even combo. Works for me. Eventually I get out the higher lumen bulbs, they're 2800 lumen each and I use quite a few as I have more than one plant. Last time I used 6 for 2 plants.

No nutes till the second set of leave are fully in place. Thats what I've read here and thats what I do, it works so maybe its the right thing to tell you. I start with a small amount of nutes and work up to full strength at about 4 weeks. Rule of thumb, plants should grow without nutes, but too many nutes and your plant will die.

As for transplant, those roots grow fast and you could mess up a couple of good plants by digging them back up, so I would transplant sooner than later.

Hope I helped ya, read up on the forums, thats what I do, a lot of smart fellers here!

OK, I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions.

I have never used a humidity dome, once I get a sprout I put them in soil and presto!

From reading your thread I think maybe too much light and too much heat?

I usually start my plants off with one CFL, its daylight 6400k with around 1800 lumens. I've got 4 in cups right now I'm trying to train before transplanting so they will be growing in a certain direction. a Little fan blows away the evil heat.

After reading on this site they say to start with 6400k bulbs and then when you flower to switch to the soft white. I use both when they get bigger than my fist and just keep using an even combo. Works for me. Eventually I get out the higher lumen bulbs, they're 2800 lumen each and I use quite a few as I have more than one plant. Last time I used 6 for 2 plants.

No nutes till the second set of leave are fully in place. Thats what I've read here and thats what I do, it works so maybe its the right thing to tell you. I start with a small amount of nutes and work up to full strength at about 4 weeks. Rule of thumb, plants should grow without nutes, but too many nutes and your plant will die.

As for transplant, those roots grow fast and you could mess up a couple of good plants by digging them back up, so I would transplant sooner than later.

Hope I helped ya, read up on the forums, thats what I do, a lot of smart fellers here!

Thank you for the response!
Things are not good in baby sprout city. One alive but delayed it seems. I haven't measured the temp with a thermometer yet, but I always thought that every time I checked in on them the temp didn't feel very hot, just warm air coming out the exhaust - I bet I was real accurate on that... seeing how you use one bulb for sprouts I must have been scorching them... I unplugged all but one 26w 1800 lumen bulb for my last sprout. Luckily these are bagseed, and I didn't shell out a fortune for them, but I am feeling very guilty for killing the poor guys, I hope to redeem my chronic karma.

Yes I've been reading lots in the forum, its been hard to find very many specifics on the sprout stage, but could just be me. If the last sprout survives, or when I grab some new seeds to retry this I will make a journal. :thanks:

I'm not a professional, but I know what works for me. I plant my seeds into the soil after they sprout a root in the towel. I placed them w/o a humidity dome, about 3 feet under my 400 watt mhs. I have a ton of ventilation, including a 6 inch fan directly on the little guys and a 540 cfm pulling the air out into my attic. My temp almost never breaks 82 to 84, and is usually at 78.
No food until the second set of leaves are nice and strong.
If you make another go of it, read thru this site carefully. Somewhere on this site, someone has grown every type every way you can, and you'll find the answers your looking for.
Just curious, what soil did you use?

about a few of your questions...

if you have 2 in the same pot and 1 ends up being a male and you cut it down, i suggest ripping most of its root mass out. im not sure on this but all that root matter dying may cause trouble for the lady in the pot

also for veg you want lights in the blue spectrum (fluorescent, or T5 bulbs 6500Kelvin)

for bloom you want red spectrum 3500K

your feed schedule sounds fine and instead of leaving the bag over the seedling i just mist it every now and then

I'm not a professional, but I know what works for me. I plant my seeds into the soil after they sprout a root in the towel. I placed them w/o a humidity dome, about 3 feet under my 400 watt mhs. I have a ton of ventilation, including a 6 inch fan directly on the little guys and a 540 cfm pulling the air out into my attic. My temp almost never breaks 82 to 84, and is usually at 78.
No food until the second set of leaves are nice and strong.
If you make another go of it, read thru this site carefully. Somewhere on this site, someone has grown every type every way you can, and you'll find the answers your looking for.
Just curious, what soil did you use?

Thanks for the response :) i've been reading a ton, and gonna try again with a couple of different steps. I'm not going to use a humidity cover and have a small fan directly on them - also with appropriate lighting.

For soil I used Whitney Farms premium potting soil, mixed with about 20 percent perlite and 15% sand. I actually found a retailer of fox farm ocean nearby, so Ill go with that instead.

Flurple: The other sprout in that pot was one of the 3 that died, so I don't have to worry about them sharing a pot and I won't probably plant them like that again.

Thank you everyone for your responses:thanks:

I was intrigued by the ziplock bag method for humidity but also sparks cord of creativity from within. For humidity could I grow from the inside of my bathroom? Hot showers would increase humidity easily while a fan would circulate the air keeping them cool and building strength...?... Just an idea. (I'm not even a biginner yet. I'll be trying my first grow soon but collecting an education first and wanted to gather a few opinions.) Is the bathroom thing stupid or what?

humidity dome/cover (ie plastic bag)

I was intrigued by the ziplock bag method for humidity but also sparks cord of creativity from within. For humidity could I grow from the inside of my bathroom? Hot showers would increase humidity easily while a fan would circulate the air keeping them cool and building strength...?... Just an idea. (I'm not even a biginner yet. I'll be trying my first grow soon but collecting an education first and wanted to gather a few opinions.) Is the bathroom thing stupid or what?

Humidity is really only important in cloning while cutting are establishing a root system. Because cuttings have no roots they have to take in moisture through small openings on leaves called stomata. This is the logic behind the humidity covers, only necessary for cloning. Seeds begin with a taproot which is sufficient for water uptake. Hope this helps.
Jgmilly I don't think the bathroom will be necessary to aid humidity. I can c ur line of reasoning. I'm thinking ur thinking of running hot water from the sink or shower to increase humidity.

Re: humidity dome/cover (ie plastic bag)

Humidity is really only important in cloning while cutting are establishing a root system. Because cuttings have no roots they have to take in moisture through small openings on leaves called stomata. This is the logic behind the humidity covers, only necessary for cloning. Seeds begin with a taproot which is sufficient for water uptake. Hope this helps.
Jgmilly I don't think the bathroom will be necessary to aid humidity. I can c ur line of reasoning. I'm thinking ur thinking of running hot water from the sink or shower to increase humidity.

This does help greatly because hot water was exactly what I was thinking. I wont be cloning until I have a successfull first grow so this works out. Thank u sir. (BTW read your page and became a BayArea-Believer lol. That set up is no joke.)

Back
Top Bottom