Fan Help!

The_Viper

Ok so i just bought a three inch fan from radio shack and I hooked it up to a toy charger that has 12volt dc output, but for some reason it wont get the fan started. Did I do something wrong?

Re: Fan Help!!!

I changed the wires both ways, and the box says
Rated Current: 130mA @ rated voltage
Rated Power: 10w max @ rated voltage

i think you guys may be mixing up volts, amps, milliamps and watts, ac and dc.

if the fan is 115 v ac, it needs to be plugged in to your house current, just like your lights.the dc transformer has not damaged it ,it just wont run it. voltage is an input, not an output. ac is what you have in your outlets, dc is what you get from a battery.

polarity is only an issue with dc power, like a battery. your fan is ac, like your house.

the amps, or milliamps(ma) is a measurement of how fast the power flows, not an issue in this case.

i"ve used these fans before, you just need to splice a lamp cord onto it.

good luck, let me know how it goes.

Wow, I thought all comp fans were dc :( well I returned it before I checked this. But Its for the best i think, I think im going to get a little house fan that I can screw on to my box. It will give me a blowing effect through out my box.

Most deff, its an old speaker box so i figure i could have the fan blow through the three inch port at the top and have around the plant and out the bottom

i hope i didn't insult anyone's intelligence with my basic electricity lesson. best of luck in your grow, viper

Thanks man, Im sorta doing a microgrow now till my main grow area is back up from being moved to a new house. So all i have to do is use a cord that goes to the wall? Will i short the fan out if i just use a lamp cord?

Back
Top Bottom