Favorite ways to use seeded buds?

Heavenly Hybrid

Hello 420 growers! :ciao:
I’m still a bit of a noob and through my learning process, I’ve ended up with a couple rounds of seeded buds.
The buds are still good, but I’m not much of a fan of picking out the seeds, and even less of a fan of the taste when I miss some.
I’ve made some butter and pain oils with it so far. I’m curious, what are people’s favorite ways to use not-so-great or seeded buds?
I’d really appreciate any links to tutorials too. Trying to make some lemonade out of lemons!

If they're seeded from actual legitimate male plants, presumably one would remove the seeds and grow the resulting plants.

Either way: Go outside, break up the buds, fill a tube with them, place cap with a bunch of tiny holes on one end, place cap with single hole on the other end, stick the dispenser of a can of 5x filtered butane in that single hole, press the can towards the tube until it's empty. Repeat with new can(s) if necessary.

Collect "runoff" from the end with many tiny holes in a pyrex baking dish, set dish into a pan of hot water (not really necessary, but I get in a hurry at this point ;) ). Wait a few minutes, or an hour if you're paranoid.

Enjoy smoking you're extremely potent and clean extract.

If you do not have an oil "rig," you can use a little of the plant material, mixing it with the extract to make a "cookie crumble," and smoke that through a regular bowl/pipe/etc.. But it should be a *clean* one, because a fair percentage of the oil will end up recondensing along the air path. You wouldn't want to recover it and learn the hard way that it's half cannabis resin / combustion byproducts / nasty.

You could press the remainder to make rosin or make bubble hash or dry ice kief or edibles. The possibilities are endless.
That is what I’m talkin bout!! :high-five: Almost too many choices, so I’ve got a little paralysis by analysis. Do you have a favorite? And maybe a link to a tutorial if you have a good one? I’m trying to narrow the choices down and I’d love some tried and true opinions.
Side note: the first round of seeded buds had green, immature seeds. Some may be viable and as I start to use those jars, I will save any seeds that are at least brown instead of green. As for the second round, there was a major hermie situation without any real stress to the plant, and I had to harvest a few weeks early. The other three plants are finishing still, but they’re all seeded to varying degrees. Those seeds I will not save at all, since the ‘father’ was easily hermied, I’ve been told that the offspring seeds will easily hermie too. Lol, no thanks! I’m all stocked up on seeded :laughtwo:

If they're seeded from actual legitimate male plants, presumably one would remove the seeds and grow the resulting plants.

Either way: Go outside, break up the buds, fill a tube with them, place cap with a bunch of tiny holes on one end, place cap with single hole on the other end, stick the dispenser of a can of 5x filtered butane in that single hole, press the can towards the tube until it's empty. Repeat with new can(s) if necessary.

Collect "runoff" from the end with many tiny holes in a pyrex baking dish, set dish into a pan of hot water (not really necessary, but I get in a hurry at this point ;) ). Wait a few minutes, or an hour if you're paranoid.

Enjoy smoking you're extremely potent and clean extract.

If you do not have an oil "rig," you can use a little of the plant material, mixing it with the extract to make a "cookie crumble," and smoke that through a regular bowl/pipe/etc.. But it should be a *clean* one, because a fair percentage of the oil will end up recondensing along the air path. You wouldn't want to recover it and learn the hard way that it's half cannabis resin / combustion byproducts / nasty.
Hey TS! I get a little worried about the butane, is the 5x filtered a lot safer than say, a lighter’s butane? It’s all unchecked rumors for me at this point, but I’ve heard butane might be a contributor to cancer?

I've been using that technique since about 1987, and I'm not in the ground yet. But you'll have to use your own judgment. The main thing is do it outside. Since it boils at such a low temperature, you'll quickly have a room full of highly flammable gas (but probably not for long :rolleyes: ) if you do it indoors, and there are all kinds of sources for ignition in the average house. Stove pilot lights and numerous electrical devices that'll often produce a tiny spark when turned on or off.

I suggested the 5x filtered kind. For years, I didn't even know that "...filtered" was even a thing. Then I did, and could find 3x filtered. Now they sell the 5x filtered stuff. And there's a name that's supposed to equate with "safe" - it has "tane" in it, IIRC, but I cannot recall the exact name.

If you're not sure about a specific product, spray some on a flat piece of glass, stand there a minute while it boils off, and see what (if anything) is left behind. There might be some trace amounts in unfiltered butane - but it'll amount to a few parts per million (or billion, maybe). Far less than, for example, the percentage of rat turds that are legally allowed to be in the processed food we eat. Speaking of which, butane is approved by the FDA for food use. So...

Again, do it somewhere that has ZERO chance of a disaster if you were to release a relatively large amount of flammable gas into the area - because that's what you'll be doing. And use some form of heat to help evaporate the solvent before the extract turns to goo and eventually sets up. Something other than an open flame(!!!). A traditional hot plate would be a bad idea, IMHO, too. However, one of those new "portable induction cooktops" might work, depending on what your dish is made of (needs to be some kind of metal, cast iron or whatever - glass wouldn't heat up, because it uses electromagnetism to cause the container to heat up, I think). I like a pan of hot water large enough to float the dish in. You could use a thin-walled stainless steel dish and the heat will transfer faster. You could tilt it back and forth if you like (don't tilt it so far that you just flooded it with water, lol, or you'll need to do some filtering of your own ;) ).

Here's a quote from an article titled "Debunking the BHO Stigma: A Scientist’s Take on Butane Hash Oil vs. CO2 Extraction" from a couple years ago:
“There’s a lot of misinformation in the marketplace,” says Pietrangeli. “Dispensary managers, bud tenders, and buyers will be snooty at extracts made with BHO because they think there’s some sort of health risk. Really, it comes off as ignorant.”

He believes the antipathy towards BHO comes from “kids blowing themselves up, not knowing what they’re doing,” due to the high demand overshadowing the risk. As a result of the BHO process being stigmatized, Pietrangeli currently uses C02 extraction for his pen company Acme Elixirs. Still, the industry veteran feels C02 will never rival the product of an extraction using butane—or “terp juice,” as it’s called—due to its harsh nature and terpene profiles being stripped in the C02 process. “We’re just waiting for the marketplace to mature, and circle back to the beautiful amber hash oil that actually resembles the breeder’s intentions.”

“The caveat of people making butane hash oil in open loop gave BHO a bad name,” Boris tells MERRY JANE. “A lot of people blew themselves up, caught themselves on fire, didn’t properly purge the butane out of the extract. The C02 machine makers jumped on that about two to three years ago, right when the whole [stigma] was starting to grow. They tried to use that as a marketing point for themselves.”

Pietrangeli adds, “There was a group lobbying for cannabis growers to be unionized, and their strategy was an anti-BHO campaign trying to sway opinions from looking at extracts as the bad guy, to looking at at BHO as the bad guy. So now you see all these brands out touting solventless CO2. Anything higher than 70-90% THC, they’re lying. You can’t get C02 to test that high with THC, there’s just no way. There’s all this lying and misinformation in the marketplace. People think they’re buying something that they’re not.”

A common misconception is that C02 oil is solventless, while BHO is not. No oil is solventless. Carbon dioxide is a solvent just like butane. C02 is not toxic, leaving no residual. It’s vapor pressure is so high it simply disappears. While butane has no lethal dose and is approved for food processing by the FDA, it’s certainly not as innocuous as C02. Butane must be properly removed, a step often botched by the kids blowing themselves up in their parents’ basement.

Use your own judgment. And a modicum of common sense, of course - don't try this kind of thing if/when you're wasted. Et cetera.

Or you could buy a "Magical Butter" machine. Not the same thing, but it's a nice appliance if you're interested in cooking with cannabis (oil). Looks like a coffee percolator. Remove top, place ingredients inside, reinstall top, plug device in, press button for time (duration), press button for temperature, walk away.

I've been using that technique since about 1987, and I'm not in the ground yet. But you'll have to use your own judgment. The main thing is do it outside. Since it boils at such a low temperature, you'll quickly have a room full of highly flammable gas (but probably not for long :rolleyes: ) if you do it indoors, and there are all kinds of sources for ignition in the average house. Stove pilot lights and numerous electrical devices that'll often produce a tiny spark when turned on or off.

I suggested the 5x filtered kind. For years, I didn't even know that "...filtered" was even a thing. Then I did, and could find 3x filtered. Now they sell the 5x filtered stuff. And there's a name that's supposed to equate with "safe" - it has "tane" in it, IIRC, but I cannot recall the exact name.

If you're not sure about a specific product, spray some on a flat piece of glass, stand there a minute while it boils off, and see what (if anything) is left behind. There might be some trace amounts in unfiltered butane - but it'll amount to a few parts per million (or billion, maybe). Far less than, for example, the percentage of rat turds that are legally allowed to be in the processed food we eat. Speaking of which, butane is approved by the FDA for food use. So...

Again, do it somewhere that has ZERO chance of a disaster if you were to release a relatively large amount of flammable gas into the area - because that's what you'll be doing. And use some form of heat to help evaporate the solvent before the extract turns to goo and eventually sets up. Something other than an open flame(!!!). A traditional hot plate would be a bad idea, IMHO, too. However, one of those new "portable induction cooktops" might work, depending on what your dish is made of (needs to be some kind of metal, cast iron or whatever - glass wouldn't heat up, because it uses electromagnetism to cause the container to heat up, I think). I like a pan of hot water large enough to float the dish in. You could use a thin-walled stainless steel dish and the heat will transfer faster. You could tilt it back and forth if you like (don't tilt it so far that you just flooded it with water, lol, or you'll need to do some filtering of your own ;) ).

Here's a quote from an article titled "Debunking the BHO Stigma: A Scientist’s Take on Butane Hash Oil vs. CO2 Extraction" from a couple years ago:

Use your own judgment. And a modicum of common sense, of course - don't try this kind of thing if/when you're wasted. Et cetera.

Or you could buy a "Magical Butter" machine. Not the same thing, but it's a nice appliance if you're interested in cooking with cannabis (oil). Looks like a coffee percolator. Remove top, place ingredients inside, reinstall top, plug device in, press button for time (duration), press button for temperature, walk away.
Thank you for all that great info and the link! :thanks:
I do have an MB machine. I used it a handful of times for some butter and oils, quite the handy little invention!

I think butane will give you the most yield, rosin the most flavor. But both will require you to purchase substantial materials. The cheapest and fastest is the dry ice kief. Just get bubble bags and dry ice and maybe a mirror or glass surface to collect. It wont be the highest yielding method but if done right, you'll get some nice kief for no more than 20 bucks.

I think butane will give you the most yield, rosin the most flavor. But both will require you to purchase substantial materials.

Can (or a few cans) of butane, short piece of pipe (material up to user), couple of caps, a drill bit (borrow drill from neighbor).

There are better ways to do it, of course. But that's all a person needs. And a collection dish/container, of course. I've read that you can get even more product with the "long soak" method - and only use one can of butane per ounce of bud. And you could spend enough to buy a cheap Winter beater on a recycling setup.

There are lots of ways to remove/collect trichomes, and to do full (and "full") extractions. A member posted a thread a while back about putting a big plastic jug in the freezer, throwing his plant material into it until he thought he had enough, adding a handful of marbles, covering the opening with the correct-sized screen material, and shaking the <BLEEP> out of the jug, upside-down, over a piece of glass. That one seemed pretty cheap, too, lol.

I think butane will give you the most yield, rosin the most flavor. But both will require you to purchase substantial materials. The cheapest and fastest is the dry ice kief. Just get bubble bags and dry ice and maybe a mirror or glass surface to collect. It wont be the highest yielding method but if done right, you'll get some nice kief for no more than 20 bucks.
Awesome! Thank you Tyson! Cheap is definitely preferable for now. Spent too much on grow gear until I can get some more seed-free yields. :laughtwo: I have seen a good tutorial on that dry ice with just cheesecloth over a jar too. Maybe that’s my best bet for now? I think I’ve seen an old YouTube video on how to bake it into hash too.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I have lots of buds to put to use with these ideas. :thanks:

I had a write-up saved about a real good (and pretty inexpensive, all things considered) long-soak butane extraction method called
Code:
Thermos Growkind BHO
...but I couldn't find it earlier in my hard drive's "documents" partition; it might have been on the laptop that died several years ago, IDK. You might be able to find it if you want to do a web-search for it. It's been a while since I grew enough bud at any one time to really have a use for the information. I do recall that it was a full extraction method - what was left behind would have been about as productive to smoke as the average pile of sawdust.

Back
Top Bottom