Feeding in Deep Water Culture, Getting Started & PPM

I am a newbie,sorry! But have a question about water level. Originally they(6 girls)were in an 18 gallon tote. Now they have been seperated and each group of 2 is in a 10 Gallon tote.(3 with 2 each). I was told by the salesperson that the tote should have no more than a gallon in each one. One gal had white tips appearing on her and he said this was "too much liquid". So again if I may,is a gallon for a 10 gallon tote suffice or am I flirting with dry roots in the future? Thx I have many questions but will try to avoid asking too mnay at once. Good luck 2 all! Have pics if anyone want to see the tips and tell me what they think. PS-----Is bottled distilled just as good as watere form the expensive counter top units? Thx

IN the Deep Water Culture systems we use we have 6 gallons on an 8 gallon tote. You should have 7 1/2 to 8 gallons of water in a 10 gallon tote. The rates should rise to between one and two inches from the bottom of the root mass. When well into veg and throughout flowering it is not unusual for our plants to drink 1 gallon or more of res water per day. Whoever told you that one gallon is enough in a hydroponic system had no idea how things work. Fill it up 3/4 full, put an airstone in the water and you have dwc hydroponics.

Distilled or RO water is about the same as the countertop units. It's just that with the countertop units you pay for the device and filters and wiith bottled distilled you pay for the bottle and the water.

I am a newbie,sorry! But have a question about water level. Originally they(6 girls)were in an 18 gallon tote. Now they have been seperated and each group of 2 is in a 10 Gallon tote.(3 with 2 each). I was told by the salesperson that the tote should have no more than a gallon in each one. One gal had white tips appearing on her and he said this was "too much liquid". So again if I may,is a gallon for a 10 gallon tote suffice or am I flirting with dry roots in the future? Thx I have many questions but will try to avoid asking too mnay at once. Good luck 2 all! Have pics if anyone want to see the tips and tell me what they think. PS-----Is bottled distilled just as good as watere form the expensive counter top units? Thx

I don't have any experience with that size tote, I use an 8 gallon tote, with 6 gallons of water, starting 6 plants, giving me one gallon per plant, and more important, a one to two inch air space between the top of the water line and the bottom of the grow cup.
In my opinion, the salesman was mistaken, OR he meant one gallon of water per plant, which is what most hydro experts suggest or recommend.

Distilled, RO and Filtered water are pretty much the same, yes.

OMG Thanks a million as I kinda felt it was wrong and this morning the roots had colored overnight and actually had a smell to them. Old bad water removed,both stoes cleaned good with a toothbrush and now pure distilled water in there trying to help them recover from their shock. Thanks you guys. Once I figure out how I'll post a couple pics as they are only 30 days old and the stalks are as thick as pencils. Looks like it is gonna be REV OSM and DIST from now on and the water will be changed religiously on Saturday morns. THX The totes are now refilled back to within 1 1/2 inches of the baskets. Man that was a close call as surely they would have simply stressed to death.

I run the rubbermaid 14 gallon totes. they work great. I put 6 gallons in it and it gives 1-2 inches of airspace, between pots and water. 4 plants.

I quite using tap water a while ago , ppm is 580 out of the tap ! I just buy those 2 1/2 gal containers there usually 2 for 5 bucks. It ain't cheap but it'l do for now . Once I add nutes and pn it stays right there !! Hand in there 3 putt and you see why were all happy here at 420 !! :bong:

We're looking into the disappearing forum link ;)

Hope you guys like the logo switch; somehow we ended up with all chiefs and no one chiefen ;)

If anyone has a higher resolution version of the graphic, I'll update the smiley to make it a little more crisp. Looks ok, I must prefer perfect when it can be had ;)

Have a great green day my friends ;)

Rubbermaid 14 gallon tub is 24 Lx16 Hx12 H inches. How does that compare to a SH tub?

What are the physical dimensions of the Stealth Hydro Deep Water Culture 6-planter kit?
Length: 20.5 inches
Width: 14.125 inches
Height: 12.5 inches

They look pretty comparible. 14 gallon is 3 1/2" longer, 2" wider and about the same height. The longer part lets you spread thing out more, it's roughly the same height and that can be important for grow room up top and that's really good. Bigger res also is more ph stable. It's just that it takes more water and nutes for res changes. Only goes to show you that anything works and usually works well.

005256.jpg

Here's a better resolution BH Logo, just 420mag blocks it.

I can prevent the logo from watermarking if I do the upload but I can't strip it off once it's on there.

I'm looking for smaller and more crisp ;)

Not a huge issue, just continuous improvement ;)

I can prevent the logo from watermarking if I do the upload but I can't strip it off once it's on there.

I'm looking for smaller and more crisp ;)

Not a huge issue, just continuous improvement ;)

Hey Soniq, Just want to thank you again for your hospitality. You've really gone out of your way to make us feel comfortable, and it's really appreciated man.
:thanks:

OMG Thanks a million as I kinda felt it was wrong and this morning the roots had colored overnight and actually had a smell to them. Old bad water removed,both stoes cleaned good with a toothbrush and now pure distilled water in there trying to help them recover from their shock. Thanks you guys. Once I figure out how I'll post a couple pics as they are only 30 days old and the stalks are as thick as pencils. Looks like it is gonna be REV OSM and DIST from now on and the water will be changed religiously on Saturday morns. THX The totes are now refilled back to within 1 1/2 inches of the baskets. Man that was a close call as surely they would have simply stressed to death.

We're glad to have been some help.
Let us know if you got root rot!

Hey Soniq, Just want to thank you again for your hospitality. You've really gone out of your way to make us feel comfortable, and it's really appreciated man.
:thanks:

Thx Jonny,

We're happy to have you guys (and girls) here ;)

Rubbermaid 14 gallon tub is 24 Lx16 Hx12 H inches.

Clarify: Along with the 14 gallon rubbermaid tub, I use 4x4 inch square pots. There are four in the tub. The pots are about 5 inches deep, and with 6 gallons of water there is about an inch of air space. I setup another tub with 3 inch round pots and there is at least three inches of air space with 6 gallons, 7 puts it around 1.5 inches give or take. So I am using bigger and smaller pots then the stock SH ones.

Back
Top Bottom