Fermented Plant Extract: Borage

I decided a while ago that I wanted to try making my own fertilizer. This thread will be the first attempt and like the title says I'll be using Borage. In my huglekulture I planted some Borage from seed, a month or so ago.

Here it is growing this morning in my vertical huglekulture:

20150720_065603.jpg

First step was to collect the fast growing leaves/tips, early in the morning when it's believed the plant has it's highest concentration of growth hormones.

Here is what I collected this morning:

20150720_070104.jpg

20150720_070123.jpg

Next step is to weigh it out:

20150720_070420.jpg

From there, I measured out an equal part of molasses. And then I chopped up the Borage nice and fine, layered the chopped up borage and molasses in a wide month canning jar:

20150720_072203.jpg

20150720_072330.jpg

Next step was to press the material, I used a weigh from an old scale. After twenty four hours, tomorrow, I'll remove the weigh press, and cover the container with a breathable material.

I'll put that in my basement and continue this tomorrow where I'll explain more about the plant I picked, and the macro and micro nutrients I hope to obtain from this batch.

Stick around!!

:thanks:

Okay, so it's been 24+ hours, time to remove the press, and cover this batch with a breathable material, in my case I'll use a regular canning top with holes punched in it for airflow....I'll be back

20150721_184013.jpg

MedMan, You never got back to Us :)

Could you fill us in on "the plant I picked, and the macro and micro nutrients I hope to obtain from this batch". Specifically I was wondering what type of Borage seeds were they.

It seems there are quite a few native ones growing in the area where I live (from the Boraginaceae family) and I was wondering which ones were worth while for this kind of grow.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, sorry about that. Thanks for subscribing, I'll get this back on track shortly. :cheer:

I had the jar that contained my experiment in a bad location and it dropped. So, thanks for reminding me because I plan to try again shortly.

I picked Borage because it contains the major nutrients as extracted from the soil and the air that surrounds them. Borage Officinalis is the species I have and it's what's known as a Dynamic Accumulator -- it is loaded with a macro primary nute.... it contains high amounts of potassium. And mostly potassium. I wanted a plant for this first experiment that could deal with a specific deficiency. Rather than one that hits multiple. That way I can see it work, I think,,, more effectively. I'm a techie at heart so when I fix things I like to isolate issues, and in this case with my plants,, isolate a solution.

Keep in mind,.most of what I know or repeat is from the build a soil website. I have to give them credit.

For macro secondary nute the Borage gets me some calcium. And I'm interested in that for both my marijuana and my tomato plants.

Anyway, I'll follow up later. Thanks for ringing my bell here, I needed it!! :)

Wow. You were quick to respond to the bell ringing.

Thanks for the info. That specific type grows in colder climates but I'm sure I could get it at the nursery if needed.

I'm looking forward to this thread. Is it a Marijuana plant that has this potassium deficiency?

Btw, for your huglekulture - you use the method with old logs, etc? I've just moved to a bigger house with a run down garden. I've been considering huglekulture as a method to liven it up. I've seen two basic methods - one using the logs, etc. and the other layering made-compost/halfmade-compost/earth/leaves/twigs, etc.

I'm leaning towards the second method - as hauling those logs to the garden sounds like it would be too much for my weakling back.

I'll be waiting patiently.

Oh, a late congrats for the member of the month. :cheer:

Wow. You were quick to respond to the bell ringing.

Thanks for the info. That specific type grows in colder climates but I'm sure I could get it at the nursery if needed.

I'm looking forward to this thread. Is it a Marijuana plant that has this potassium deficiency?

Btw, for your huglekulture - you use the method with old logs, etc? I've just moved to a bigger house with a run down garden. I've been considering huglekulture as a method to liven it up. I've seen two basic methods - one using the logs, etc. and the other layering made-compost/halfmade-compost/earth/leaves/twigs, etc.

I'm leaning towards the second method - as hauling those logs to the garden sounds like it would be too much for my weakling back.

I'll be waiting patiently.

Oh, a late congrats for the member of the month. :cheer:

Yeah, no worries, that thread was in the back of my mind. I honestly don't know if I have a plant with a potassium deficiency right now, although one I think may. But, it wasn't a experiment based on need, more wanting to learn more.

I just lucked out with Borage. I looked for more seeds to plant and that one was the one I found at first. I have since then ordered a few others, but, I want to experiment with this one.

Thanks for noticing the huglekulture. Yes, I made a vertical one from old logs. This fall I'm working on a couple of them, one at my house and two work.

Next ones will be more compost and light brush and hoRizontal. I have access to a huglekulture that was made partially by mother nature. A friend of mine who's a farmer pointed out an area on his property that he's been dumping old soil, compost, you name it. I was scouting his property earlier this year for some old logs and came upon it. Massive,, just breathtaking. I think I have some pics in my greenhouse thread,, not sure if I added them but is a thing to see. About a football field long,, maybe that much wide....

Loving your greenhouse thread.

Has that Japanese Peony tree flowered yet? Did the SWICK'in work out for you? I've used cotton (old rag ripped) in a double container for Mj grows when I couldn't get them watered any other way. Seemed to work. I'm still not sure whether I'm better off with the wet/dry cycle or not. (That plant was basically left with buds only, no leaves - I have a feeling that was due to too much water). On the other hand where we live it's way too hot. So a wicking solution may save a plant or two.

I may just give SWICK a try. I have the perlite and a container - so , why not. It's supposed to be around 36c tom. and I'm travelling for a couple of days.

I haven't seen anyone using SWICK on outdoor grows (I'm only doing outdoor atm). Not sure how well that would work.

Loving your greenhouse thread.

Has that Japanese Peony tree flowered yet? Did the SWICK'in work out for you? I've used cotton (old rag ripped) in a double container for Mj grows when I couldn't get them watered any other way. Seemed to work. I'm still not sure whether I'm better off with the wet/dry cycle or not. (That plant was basically left with buds only, no leaves - I have a feeling that was due to too much water). On the other hand where we live it's way too hot. So a wicking solution may save a plant or two.

I may just give SWICK a try. I have the perlite and a container - so , why not. It's supposed to be around 36c tom. and I'm travelling for a couple of days.

I haven't seen anyone using SWICK on outdoor grows (I'm only doing outdoor atm). Not sure how well that would work.

The SWICK, still figuring it out. My MONSTER SCROG is in a SWICK. It's going outdoors. I don't know.

I read a lot of what doc bud writes, and the wet dry cycle is something I think this plant likes. Similar to tomatoes, they like to be dried out.

So, in theory a SWICK goes against that. However, I've dried out my perlite a few times with SWICK grows and it's appears to work well.

I'm really still experimenting there. But, if you have to leave for a week,, you can't beat that security.

Nice yakking with ya, pLease share more I love hearing New methods, or another twist on an old method ;)

Btw, followed your mention of the build a soil site. He says this regarding dry/wet :
5. Don't aim for wet and dry cycles. Aim for Consistency of time of watering and also for a good moisture level in the soil. Keeping the soil moist will keep all the soil microbes alive and well. Drying out the soil will kill much of the soil life.
That sounds right to me - but I don't have enough experience to say it is so.

Yeah. This is basically my first posts on this site. Enjoyed talking with you as well. Going to sleep with that picture of the blue kiddy spade stuck in the pile. I love working in the garden with my son. It's just a bit too hot over here at the moment (we basically stay indoors most of the day....). Hope it cools down soon - lots of planting planned :)

Btw, followed your mention of the build a soil site. He says this regarding dry/wet :

That sounds right to me - but I don't have enough experience to say it is so.

Yeah. This is basically my first posts on this site. Enjoyed talking with you as well. Going to sleep with that picture of the blue kiddy spade stuck in the pile. I love working in the garden with my son. It's just a bit too hot over here at the moment (we basically stay indoors most of the day....). Hope it cools down soon - lots of planting planned :)

That's exactly my point. I know growers who swear by wet dry. Good growers. However, I have read otherwise, especially with LOS. That's why I experiment myself. I need to know, I can't read what someone says and believe it, until I've done it. The problem I have is I read way too much, and respect most of what I read as honest opinion. not necessarily fact, but I respect first hand opinions/experience a lot. So,, I experiment... To find what works for me.

Back
Top Bottom