Fiberglass

Kansas

I was sitting there at work today cutting out fiberglass panels and started to wonder if it would make a better wall for my next box instead of plywood painted white. I can cut them to whatever size I need and they are about 1/8'' thick. It wouldn't be as sturdy but it has a glossy white gelcoat that just blinds you in the sun. I can only think that maybe it might not be thick enough and cause it to be cold..but my lights i would think would make it warm enough..I don't know sorry for rambling I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea?

It wouldn't be as sturdy but it has a glossy white gelcoat that just blinds you in the sun. I can only think that maybe it might not be thick enough and cause it to be cold..but my lights i would think would make it warm enough..I don't know sorry for rambling I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea?

Hey kansas, you're better off with a flat white painted surface over a glossy surface.

:surf:

The panels would be great. You might have the spray the outside black to prevent light from coming through. DJ is correct the flat white is better than gloss. Gloss can creat hot spots in the reflection and possibly burn the plants. Overall I think fiberglass would be a great material. Just make sure it is fully cured and done offgassing.

Well, the gel can easily be scratched up or just painted over, It almost would have to be in order to make sure there isn't think gel, which would make the box glow. But in order to just make it look like a shiny box i could put it in so the rough "cat hair" would be on the inside painted white, or would the roughness cause heat spots as well?

It also just dawned on me I could infinitely customize a whole box using fiberglass. Ha. Another month scouring now for just a basic shape! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom