flat white paint vs glossy

Another thing I've read is that Mylar (and "shiny") reflects heat as well as light. I just switched from Mylar to a more flat white and have observed the plants now receive less intense direct and indirect heat from the (vented and cooled) light source. Or so it appears to me anyway. I see a more even distribution of light now as well. Just my "beginners observation" so take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

I would suggest that you go with white elastomeric roof paint. A rubberized roofing paint with over 90% reflection. Mildew resistant. Highly reflective. Flat white, on the other hand, is only 75-85% reflective.

I am a painter by trade. The first thing that comes to mind for me is humidity. When I see a bathroom painted in gloss or even semi-gloss, the moisture seems to stick to the walls for hours. This might spell disaster for a small, or even medium size room.

I would suggest that you go with white elastomeric roof paint. A rubberized roofing paint with over 90% reflection. Mildew resistant. Highly reflective. Flat white, on the other hand, is only 75-85% reflective.
This is your best bet.I use reflectix

Went with flat white myself. With CFL's they are maintained so close to the plants that the minimal amount of light reflectivity you get from any surface is not worth that much time honestly. I try not to overthink things when it comes to this. I went with the easiest option and that was a spray paint flat white.

In retrospect I would have not gone with spraypaint, to me it is hard to get an even coat with spray paint, ended up having to buy a second can and going over it again. Going with just regular paint is probably best option if using paint you control the amount of paint more easily and can therefore get better coating.

Back
Top Bottom